Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Last minute ride decision

To disable ads, please log-in.

For a while I was considering doing the 46 mile route of the Tour de Pink in Duluth, Minnesota. I had a schedule conflict so I dropped the idea. Well, now my conflict disappeared and the ride is tomorrow. I just signed up. To date, my longest ride ever was 37 miles and that was about three, four weeks ago. I rode 300 total miles last month and so far 78 this month. My pace is slow and slightly under the minimum for the ride. I figure that if I am too slow I can always turn around early. There are rest stops about ever 12 miles. The course is pretty flat, on an old railroad grade now paved for riding. No significant wind in the forecast and the temps should be in the mid 70s. The 46 milers start at noon. (There also are 110, 84, and 22 mile options).

So, I figure that I won't ride today. I did 15 miles yesterday, half slow with spouse, half pushing it a bit. Any tips on eating, etc? How much of my own snacks should I bring? I usually bring dates and walnuts on longer rides plus water. I've never used an electrolyte drink in my life and it is kind of late to address that issue.

My estimation is that you will do just fine!!!! Break it into rest stop to rest stop. I usually take some protein of some sort - we often do peanut butter and honey on a flour tortilla. I struggle with electrolyte drinks as well but they do make a difference. Can you handle gatorade? Even dilute w/ water if necessary. We use nuun (call you LBS) and I love Ultima (whole foods or a good food coop) I just use a little less than the directions say. Both have zero sugar.
    Good luck and look forward to the report!
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sky King View Post
    My estimation is that you will do just fine!!!! Break it into rest stop to rest stop. I usually take some protein of some sort - we often do peanut butter and honey on a flour tortilla. I struggle with electrolyte drinks as well but they do make a difference. Can you handle gatorade? Even dilute w/ water if necessary. We use nuun (call you LBS) and I love Ultima (whole foods or a good food coop) I just use a little less than the directions say. Both have zero sugar.
    Good luck and look forward to the report!
    I've never even have tasted gatorade so maybe this isn't the time to try it.

Go to any REI, outdoor store, etc... doesn't have to be an LBS and buy a tube of Nuun. Put one tab in your water bottle and stick the tube in your seat bag or pocket. It tastes like flavored water, basically, mild, and no sugar. You'll get electrolytes with no sugar. Bring a small ziplock of your dates and almonds, or maybe a piece of whole wheat bread with some kind of nut butter, or both.
    For 46 miles under those conditions, you shouldn't need more than that.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    Go to any REI, outdoor store, etc... doesn't have to be an LBS and buy a tube of Nuun. Put one tab in your water bottle and stick the tube in your seat bag or pocket. It tastes like flavored water, basically, mild, and no sugar. You'll get electrolytes with no sugar. Bring a small ziplock of your dates and almonds, or maybe a piece of whole wheat bread with some kind of nut butter, or both.
    For 46 miles under those conditions, you shouldn't need more than that.

I am 20 miles away from a bike store and 160 miles from an REI. Any other options? If it is really important I can drive to the bike store this afternoon.

I suggest you give the Gatorade I try - dilute it with water or pack your bottle with ice. Take another bottle filled with just water. If there are protein or salt foods you know you can stomach well, take a few along (I favor mixed nuts, almonds, Salted Nut Rolls, dried apricots, figs, crunchy peanut butter 1/2 sandwiches, and Gu). However, as this ride is supported with rest stops, you will probably find all the food you need there, but it would not hurt to carry one or two things you know you can stomach, just in case.

The first few MS-150 rides I did, I actually GAINED weight because I didn't pace my eating correctly at the rest stops. Good luck and have fun!

2001 Trek 7500 FX, converted to a hauler - Serfas
    200? Marin hybrid - Selle San Marco
    2004 Trek 5200 - Avatar
    2011 Trek 6.2 Madone - Ruby

Don't worry about trying energy drinks. You need to experiment with them to determine which ones you can tolerate. I found out on a ride that Gatorade just makes me sick, I struggled to finish the ride. I use Accelerade because it has a 4 to 1 ratio of carbs to proteins.

Since the ride starts at noon eat a good breakfast and lunch (if you can) and a good dinner tonight. I always carry a Cliff bar, and a peanut butter sandwich if I think I'm going to get hungry. Hydrate well tonight and in the morning, also eat at the sag stops, fruit, nuts, etc.

Since you're a slower rider would it be ok to start earlier than the recommended 46 mile time? That way you can finish the ride and won't be one of the last ones out. Don't linger too long at the sag stops and don't feel that you need to stop if you're feeling ok. I sometimes skip the first stop unless I need the bathroom, which I usually do early in the morning.

Energy drinks need to be mixed at the recommendation of the manufacturer. Under diluting diminshes the benefits you get from the drinks. I've seen people put "little tiny bits of powder" in their water bottles thinking they're getting a boost but all they have is flavored water.

Have fun, I toured in the Duluth area this summer. Are you riding the bike trail that goes north? along bike Superior?

If you are really afraid you are going to bonk from not getting the nutrition and hydration correct, then go to the bike store and buy a packet of Shot Blocks. Use your regular food and water and supplement with the Shot Blocks if you need to. I am more into getting most of the nutrition from real food, and no sports drinks. I used Accelerade for years and it just adds too many calories, hence the Nuun. Shot Blocks are pretty much pure sugar/gummy bear like things that I only need one of to make me feel better if I am lagging. You are supposed to eat 3 at a time. You chew it up as you drink water and it takes about a minute or two for me to feel better. I have used them when I have felt awful and they work.
    For a 46 mile ride, I wouldn't need anything other than a good pre-ride meal and maybe one Luna Bar, unless it was very hot and/or hilly.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I don't know if I can start early. The website says the 46 miles riders are "released" at 12:00. The 64 milers are released an hour ahead of that. I'll come early to see if I can start early. I have to pick up my packet anyway.

I'll not worry too much about the drinks. When I went 37 miles I was totally happy to eat a few nuts and fruit and drink my water.

The ride does not go up the shore--it would be nice if it did, I like that ride and it would be cooler. This one runs along the Munger trail, one of the country's longest paved trails from outside Duluth going south. I've biked on it before, nice and flat but there are some rough areas due to frost heave.
    Last edited by goldfinch; 09-09-2011 at 09:51 AM.

Until recently, I only drank water on rides. Lately I've been experimenting with homemade sports drinks, and they have been working well. Some taste better than others. So far my favorite is pear nectar diluted with water, with a pinch of salt. I just looked at the "Santa Cruz Organic" website, and it looks like apricot nectar would even be a better choice for potassium. I'll try that next time.

I think you're going to do great! Have fun!
    '02 Eddy Merckx Fuga, Selle An Atomica
    '85 Eddy Merckx Professional, Selle An Atomica

'10 Soma Double Cross DC, Selle An Atomica

Slacker on wheels.

Bring salty snacks and water and you should do *fine.* It's 46 miles, not 406. The other thing I'd suggest is that you ***relax*** -- if you're worried and stressed about not going fast enough... that will affect your body position and your blood chemistry (like looking down when you're climbing a mountain) and deplete your performance. Relax and decide that you'll either go fast enough, or you won't, but you'll do your best to look like you know what you're doing... and you'll find yourself going faster than if you're looking at the speedometer and worrying.

Quote Originally Posted by Geonz View Post
    Bring salty snacks and water and you should do *fine.* It's 46 miles, not 406. The other thing I'd suggest is that you ***relax*** -- if you're worried and stressed about not going fast enough... that will affect your body position and your blood chemistry (like looking down when you're climbing a mountain) and deplete your performance. Relax and decide that you'll either go fast enough, or you won't, but you'll do your best to look like you know what you're doing... and you'll find yourself going faster than if you're looking at the speedometer and worrying.
    Good points Sue!

I picked up my start packet and they said no problem starting early so that is what I am going to do.

The ride went great. 46 miles turned out to be 48 miles, my longest ride yet, I tagged on two more to hit 50, a milestone for me as my prior longest ride was 37 miles.

It was too hot. I started the ride with some friends but could not keep up with them, though I did meet up with them a couple more times after rest stops and rode with them maybe a total of 15 miles. The nice thing was that we started early, at 10:30 am instead of noon. I don't know if I could have handled the heat if I had started later. It had to be in the mid-80s, and I have been riding the the 60s for the last few weeks. Last year it was 38 degrees when the ride started! I drank maybe eight bottles of water. And I drank a lot of water at the rest stops too, roughly every 12-13 miles. I ate too much at the half way point which gave me a stomach ache. At the last rest stop I was dragging with 13 miles to go. I ate a half an orange and some potato chips. I recovered and moved a lot faster to the end.

Good ride, I had a lot of fun.
    Last edited by goldfinch; 09-10-2011 at 06:37 PM.

Good to hear your ride report Goldfinch and glad you did well, the heat is really hard for me to deal with also. Mid-80s is HOT......especially when you stop riding and no air flow to cool you off. 50 miles is a huge accomplishment! Way to go!
    "Don't go too fast, but I go pretty far"

hurray for 50!! And yeah, I'm done with hot. It was in the mid-60s for the race here and after about 20 minutes of riding in the sun I would've sworn it was 80. I can't imagine how awful 80 really felt.

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens