Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Focus, Jamis or Ridley for 5'3, 29" inseam

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi Ladies,

So since it appears getting a new bike is the route to go...

I am considering these bikes. Anyone have/demo'd these or have any comments? Most of my local LBS (and we have a quite a few) don't stock any cx bikes in my size. They can order in something.

Jamis - Nova Pro
    Focus - Mares AX 2.0
    Ridley - but would have be custom build (could be more costly)

Also is stand-over height an accurate measurement and is it the same as my inside inseam??

Ooh, you should check out a 44cm Redline Conquest, too! That's what I'm on for cyclocross and I LOVE this bike--it's even sweet on the road with slick tires! I have the basic Conquest, but my LBS swapped-out SRAM Apex for the low-end Shimano group that was on it.

I think pretty much any shop can order Redline, even if they don't stock the brand. Nice bikes. My LBS is just getting in Ridley for 2012, but I scored a '11 Redline for such a deal, since my LBS actually had one in my size and wanted to make room for new models.

Cannondale really makes some nice cyclocross bikes, too, as does Gunnar. I've got 3 friends on Gunnars that they use both on and off-road.

I'm only about a half-inch taller than you and my crotch-to-ground inseam is 30".
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Quote Originally Posted by seastar View Post
    Hi Ladies,

So since it appears getting a new bike is the route to go...

I am considering these bikes. Anyone have/demo'd these or have any comments? Most of my local LBS (and we have a quite a few) don't stock any cx bikes in my size. They can order in something.

Jamis - Nova Pro
    Focus - Mares AX 2.0
    Ridley - but would have be custom build (could be more costly)

Also is stand-over height an accurate measurement and is it the same as my inside inseam??
    Are you looking at the carbon versions of these bikes? I have two carbon Ridleys and love them. BUT they run large. I am 5'10" and usually ride a 54 cm. In the Ridley, I ride a 52 cm. DH says Ridley will NOT fit you (we are discussing as I am typing).

He says Jamis likely has a big line of sizing, but you really need to try it to see if it will fit you. Stand over height is a good measurement, but you need to also consider head tube length (for reach).

DH says you need a bike in the 45-48 range. Many bikes won't come in a small enough size.

Redline DOES make a small frame, and I have friends in the 5 foot range who are racing on those. Have a look and see if one of your LBS' might have one for you to look at/try.

Sorry - got you all excited about 'cross, and now there's an issue with size! DOH! Wavedancer on this forum also is on the shorter side - I think she ordered the Terry Valkeryie last year.

SheFly
    "Well behaved women rarely make history." including me!
    http://twoadventures.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by SheFly View Post
    Are you looking at the carbon versions of these bikes? I have two carbon Ridleys and love them. BUT they run large. I am 5'10" and usually ride a 54 cm. In the Ridley, I ride a 52 cm. DH says Ridley will NOT fit you (we are discussing as I am typing).

DH says you need a bike in the 45-48 range. Many bikes won't come in a small enough size.
    I believe there is only one Ridley that comes in a small size...Cross-Bow, I think. All of the carbon models are larger.

Seastar, why carbon? Aside from weight savings, carbon won't yield a comfier ride off-road. And I can attest to the Redline being buttery smooth, even though it's aluminum. It's LOADS less chattery/rough than my aluminum Cannondale Synapse was. I have no idea why that is, but it came as a great surprise to me. On the road with slick tires my aluminum Redline is just as smooth as my carbon Cannondale SuperSix...just heavier.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

Actually not looking for carbon (I'm sure it's really nice, but not for my first CX bike). Looking for aluminum BUT with carbon fork. Don't think the Redline is a possibility as there isn't a Canadian distributor (and I'm located in Canada). So maybe the Ridley is out then if it runs large.

Boo...that's too bad that you're limited! How far from the US are you? Would it be possible to buy from a shop here? The Ridley X-Bow does come in a small size (41, which I guess is like a 44 in most other brands, they just measure a bit differently). It also has a carbon fork. I was likely going to try that very bike before I saw the deal on the Redline Conquest already in stock.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

the ridleys are BEAUTIFUL bikes. saw some being built up last weekend and they are truly gorgeous. but you would need the 41. i am around the same height and i ended up with a specialized crux in 46. i think standover will be an issue wtih most frames - i can stand over the bike wtih my feet flat on the ground... it's just that there is some contact then between my body and the frame. practically, this really isn't a huge issue. at no point in a race will you be standing over the bike, and for starts and such it's not wildly uncomfortable. YMMV, but i would definitely advocate trying some out if you can

You absolutely want to test the bikes because the geometry and measurements online may not be 100% accurate. I had my heart set on a bike because I believed the geometry was accurate but when I went to the store, it clearly was a bit too large for me - curious, because another bike in the same brand had almost identical measurements online but fit like a glove in store.

I did not demo the Nova Pro, but my husband did and he said the ride was very good. Redline's smallest size is available only on their lowest model, which stores around me did not carry.

I am currently riding the Specialized Crux, also in the 46cm, and the standover/stretch is comfortable, but I have longer legs than torso despite being 5'2" so I am not sure how others would fit. Do note that Specialized makes the 46cm only in the aluminum Crux, not the carbon ones.
    2011 Specialized Crux, aka (Toxic Honey)
    I'm faster in kilometers!

I was able to find a local store with the Ridley in a 48. Definitely too big, so you ladies are right, I need a 41. (too bad because the shop is trying to clear out last years carbon models for the same price as alum).

So what do you think of the Cross bow. I notice it comes with tiagra, are those ok?

Well the tricky part is that each shop only carries 1-2 brands, and so far only the one Ridley has been in stock. So I'm trying to get an idea of what might fit before getting them to order (of course if they order it, and it doesn't fit I won't be stuck with it)

So should the geometry for a cx bike be close to my road bike? For example my road bike (using this years model not mine which is 2010):
    Standover - 709
    Top tube - 517

I noticed on the Ridley one the top tube is quite a bit shorter, will that be a problem with fit?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    No and no

You need a pubic bone measurement, which will likely be quite different from 29 inches (just a hunch). Plus, I prefer at least an inch of clearance over the top tube bar. I've read a couple of posts on here where petite women ended up selling their bikes because they didn't have enough clearance in stand-over height. (I tend to have excess clearance, because I want a short reach for my height, which is 5'7'').

Your reach, or top tube measurement, is actually more important for fit. Can you find somewhere that will give you a bike-fitting, complete with taking all your body measurements, then suggest the correct bike?

That is ideal, but can be hard to find.

Sheldon Brown and Peter White have great information on bike fit.

I have a 28" inseam, 29 with shoes on. I ended up getting a Valkyrie with 26" wheels. It fits perfectly, but has some drawbacks. I love the ride and handling, but tire choices are limited, although the Schwalbe tires that are on it work great. It's steel, which does provide a nice ride, but is on the heavier side.

It is tough to get a top tube short enough, with enough stand over clearance, and avoiding toe overlap on the front wheel in small sizes. My Ruby 48 fits well as my road bike with 700c wheels, but the top tube slopes too much to do any shouldering.

My dream cross bike? Same fit and geometry as the Valkyrie in light weight carbon! Not being made to my knowledge, other than custom.

Good luck on your quest. Cross is a hoot!

Quote Originally Posted by wavedancer View Post
    Good luck on your quest. Cross is a hoot!
    Yes, it is! Just did my first race this AM! Seastar, I hope you can get a bike SOON!
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

How much clearance do I need over top tube? I got measured yesterday, and bike inseam is 75.5cm (29.72inches).

I can get a 2009 Jamis Supernova but there is pretty much no SO clearance (only a few millimeters). It fits great in terms of top tube etc. Or I can wait and get the 2012 model which should have about an 1" of clearance.

The other option is I have found a shop that CAN order Redline.

What do you think is best way to go?

Thanks again for all the help!!

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    Hectic day. I just answered that too fast, then deleted because my answer didn't make sense with what you posted.

I think you'll regret not having enough standover. Will the new model have the same top tube?

I don't know anything about Redline.
    In the new model everything is the same geometry except the top tube is sloped and that's how the standover become lower. The dealer would be ordering in either model from Jamis (they don't keep stock on hand).

I'm concerned with SO as my roadbike has about 2.5" of SO clearance

I am biased, but I'm head-over-heels in love with my little Redline--did my very first cyclocross race on Sunday and had an utter blast (even though I was sorta in pain and wanting to puke by the end). I never test rode it before we pulled the trigger, but it fits like it was made for me. In some ways I like the fit better than my road bike. It's a bit less aggressive...it just wants to go out and have fun no matter where I take it.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3