Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Red face Saddle suggestions for a new road cyclist?!

To disable ads, please log-in.

I just bought my first road bike yesterday, am upgrading from an old Trek hybrid to a Trek Lexa SLX. I know I broke every rule in the book by doing this now, but I plan to use it in an upcoming sprint tri in 2 weeks, meaning I have just about one week to break in my bike. Good news is that the tri is only 15 miles...and hilly, so I figured new road bike is probably still better than old hybrid. Problem is, the saddle is very uncomfortable (stock Bontrager Affinity 1 WSD) and I know it won't get better. I need a new saddle ASAP!!! I measured (I hope correctly) my sit bones and I'm about 130-135cm CC. I did Knott's test and my girlies will definitely need a cutout (I've birthed 3 babes and by "feel" I sort of knew that before the test! Plus I'm used to a cutout on my old hybrid). Any suggestions off the bat? I should mention, I need to get it quickly (though I can rush ship if necessary) would prefer not to spend over $100, and parent solo during the week so it would be tough to get into my LBS to try out a whole bunch. I know that I've backed myself into a hole...but any suggestions to at least start with would be MUCH appreciated!!!

Have you considered just switching the saddle from your hybrid to your new bike for now?

With only 2 weeks before your race, it might be best to go with a known saddle and save the experimenting for after the race.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Quote Originally Posted by KnottedYet View Post
    Have you considered just switching the saddle from your hybrid to your new bike for now?

With only 2 weeks before your race, it might be best to go with a known saddle and save the experimenting for after the race.
    I have thought of that, but I'm not sure it would work because of the different body positioning of a road bike. My hybrid saddle at this point is an 8 year old Serfas (cheap) full of gel, that probably should have been replaced a couple of years ago. I know I might suffer a bit transitioning to a new saddle at this point, but I'm sort of willing to suffer I guess. And I realized after my post, I actually am willing to go above $100 if it will be a great saddle. I've been looking at the Terrys (Butterfly Ti or Falcon X) just because they seem to have quite the following, but I don't know if they'd fit me...but then again, I wonder if I should just drop $30 on a cheap cutout saddle for the race and then experiment???

I'm going to agree with Muireen, and say that since you know you need a cut-out...I suggest looking at the Specialized saddles first. Followed by the Selle Italia women's line of saddles (with cut-outs).
    2012 Seven Axiom SL - Specialized Ruby SL 155

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm going to quick check with the local Specialized dealer...fingers crossed they have one in stock! Or I'll just order. Thanks again...I'm totally new to this forum and already searching through, it's tons of help!

So, I went to my Specialized dealer, they did the quick Butt-o-meter and I was a little (lot?) smaller than my home measurement, closer to 115, so sized a 143 cm on the Specialized. They only had an Avatar in 130 or 155, so I chose a Jett...only to come home and realize my hubby has hidden our hex wrench set somewhere. Plus, they only had black, and I really wanted white. So, I rode on my stupid Bontrager saddle to pick up my son from preschool and wow do I need a cut-out! Went online to Specialized and turns out they had a close-out old model Jett for $20 in white 143cm. And would do overnight shipping for $20. So for $40, I should have a white Jett tomorrow and can return the $113 Jett I bought at the LBS. And hopefully by then, I can talk to DH to clue me into his hex wrench secret. I sure hope it works, but anything has to be better than this stock saddle. Thank you for all your help!

I don't mean to hijack - but what is Knott's test and how does one measure one's own sit bones (or do you need someone else to do it for you??). Sorry for the stupid Q's but I am new to cycling