Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Looking for update on Selle An-Atomica

To disable ads, please log-in.

HI everyone, I saw the older posts on the Selle An-Atomica but wanted some updates. We just brought in two Selle An-Atomica Titanio's and I could do some "testing" and perhaps "keeping" of one of them.

Concerns for me:
    They are 160 mm wide and seem a bit pear shaped to me so for me (my c to c sit bone is 80) they may be too wide but I love the description on the Selle An-Atomica website. I also don't do well if they are too pear shaped - like the Gilles Berthoud Aspin that I couldn't stand. but the leather on the sides seems so soft and doesn't seem as stiff as the Gilles Berthoud...

The other thing is these are not the legacy(legacy is suggested for riders weighing less than 140lbs) but the only difference is how far the leather laminate underneath extends so not sure that makes that much of a difference

Of course if I ride it and then don't like it, I now have a used saddle that i would have to sell but they are so pricey I will wait for some feedback before I decide to try it out. (chicken noise here)

Fill me in Thanks
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

boy i have no idea why they look pear shaped to you. try riding it! they ARE expensive, i agree.
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

My sitbones are around 10 cm c-c, and they fit me really well. I use the lighter model since I weigh in the low 120s. I got my first one in 2007, and ride around 5,000 miles per year on these saddles, so they've been good to me. I've found that when they stretch, which happens more in hot and humid conditions, the cutout overlaps. Usually I just tension it when that happens, but I recently had to make the cutout larger on my oldest one with a razor knife, since tensioning alone made the saddle too hard, and the cutout was still touching. Widening the cut out actually worked great, and I'm not afraid to do it again. I've definitely gotten my money's worth from these saddles.

I haven't had issues with the running out of tension bolt, but one of my friends who outweighs me by maybe 60 lbs, and uses the heavier weight model, is almost out of bolt. Unless you send it back to the company to have it reworked (which I believe they do for a fee) this can shorten the life of the saddle. Still, my friend rides more than I do, longer and harder, and got his saddle when I did in 2007, so he has some miles on it. Despite this, he's decided to replace it with a Brooks when the bolt is done. He loved it at first, but thinks the Brooks is better long term for him, and he likes that Brooks come with Ti rails, which the An Atomicas don't.

Choosing a saddle is such a personal thing. You never know if it's going to work until you try it. I hope this helps. For me, one ride and I knew it was the one.
    '02 Eddy Merckx Fuga, Selle An Atomica
    '85 Eddy Merckx Professional, Selle An Atomica

'10 Soma Double Cross DC, Selle An Atomica

Slacker on wheels.

Thanks so much for the information! I think I will put it one when we get home from the Oregon Manifest. I am "under weight" - ha that's a first - for the one's we ordered but am not sure that makes that much difference as I am not that much underweight...

As far as pear shaped, It isn't super pear shaped. I should know within 20 miles if it works.
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

I finally put the Selle An-atomica on Sky yesterday and we rode about 15 miles. We did some tweaking and the saddle is a bit more forward than my old saddle. At first the nose was to low then I think it ended up a wee bit high but was extremely hard to tell with the clothing I had on. Was cold and windy so I had on my terry shorts, a pair of craft long johns that were "to bunchy" in the crotch and my wind pants. So the girly parts were a tiny bit unhappy and I couldn't decide if it was the angle, the cut out or the clothes ~ Today I will use my tights under my wind pants and I lowered the nose just a snare.
    I will say the sit bones were very comfortable!
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

glad you are liking your leather saddle!
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

There's a new company called Rivet Cycle Works, started by a former associate of the late Tom Milton.

This person posted a letter this past spring to a randonneuring group I subscribe to, explaning the goals of the new company.

I just did a Google search and I cannot find anything about this company, apart from its facebook page.

I guess that's not a good sign.

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl