Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

1:1 and 2:1 Rapid Fire Shifters

To disable ads, please log-in.

I am learning some neat stuff about rapid fire shifters. One of the big differences between SRAM and Shimano is the ratio. The Shimanos are a 2:1 ratio, which means more cable. Which can mean that it can be a bit more finicky with dirt, cable stretch, etc. The SRAM 1:1 require less cable and thus are not as high maintenance.
    Lisa

Bacchetta Ti Aero
    ICE B1
    Bacchetta Cafe Mountain Bent

Quote Originally Posted by itself View Post
    I am learning some neat stuff about rapid fire shifters. One of the big differences between SRAM and Shimano is the ratio. The Shimanos are a 2:1 ratio, which means more cable. Which can mean that it can be a bit more finicky with dirt, cable stretch, etc. The SRAM 1:1 require less cable and thus are not as high maintenance.
    This is only true for model year 2009 and before. In 2010, Shimano came out with their 10sp Dyna Sys drivetrains. Among the many changes to the new groups, was a change in actuation ratio. Now the actuation ratio on Shimano shifters is very close to the ratio on Sram shifters.

Quote Originally Posted by itself View Post
    This has actually changed since the introduction of Shimano's Dyna Sys drivetrains in 2010. Now the actuation ratio varies across the cassette which allows for a consistent shifting effort across all the gears. It averages out to about 1.4:1, though.

Shimano stuff is solid. Sram stuff is great when it's working like it's supposed to, but it's definitely more finicky in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Mama Coosa View Post
    ... Sram stuff is great when it's working like it's supposed to, but it's definitely more finicky in my opinion.
    Interesting comment - I've heard it the exact opposite It is good that we have choices, choices are good!