Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

When I began my job search for my new career, last spring, I went to the university career services and had them check my resume. I am 57 and obviously, I didn't want anyone to know this. I simply left off the year I got my BA and my first MA and I only listed my experience since 1992. It looked like I had been a stay at home mom, who was maybe in her forties. I was very specific about my clinical experience in my 2 years of internship and semi specific about my last 2 teaching jobs. I did include, under "other experience," at the end, my experience as a group exercise instructor and as a ride leader.

The head of career services (who was about my age) told me it's not even so much how you look, but more the "energy" you give off when you meet an interviewer or someone reads your resume. She told me that I would have no issue in my field, as I gave off "active" energy and including my athletic stuff gave them a clue I was active, but also engaged in self care. I found a career that actually values age and experience; at my last internship, we had 70 year old therapists, as well as people right out of grad school, who were 25. Frankly, it doesn't hurt that I don't look my age, but I sure don't look 30. There are also a lot of people in my field who are techno phobes; while I am no tech wiz, it's clear I know how to use email!
    Last edited by Crankin; 09-04-2011 at 05:40 PM.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    told me it's not even so much how you look, but more the "energy" you give off when you meet an interviewer or someone reads your resume
    Most certainly evidence, of that "energy" becomes more important as one advances through the years. But I would add, evidence of flexible yet disciplined creativity/innovation, that has a clear goal/purpose/resolved a significant business problem/issue, is helpful also...for an applicant at mid-life and beyond.

What I did struggle with, was minimizing some really interesting jobs I've had, because some were just too far back in history.

However it's matter of somehow figuring out /hoping one is perceived as a good cultural fit with the organization and that is tough to know at times.

I recently was chatting with my manager (she's just a few years older than I) who was worried about someone applying for yet another job from another division, she was going to have filled officially by someone in our group. The person wishing to migrate to our group, has all the pre-eminent qualities for the job, but may not necessarily be a good team fit where some folks in our group, have strong personalities.

In your line of work, some life experiences might matter to some clients, Crankin.
    Last edited by shootingstar; 09-05-2011 at 05:57 AM.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.