Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

A little frustrated

To disable ads, please log-in.

I started biking a few weeks ago and have rode quite a bit, I really enjoy it. One of the reasons I started was to try and lose some weight. I really don't want to buy new clothes this fall. Although I've always been "thin", I've never been in shape or toned. I have pretty much been able to eat what I want and when I start to gain a little I just work out and the weight comes right off. It's just not happening this time! I have been biking at least an hour 5 times a week and the days I don't bike I do the Jillian Michaels shred video. I know the biking is good for my health in general, but would just like to see some results soon. Maybe I'm expecting too much. Either way, I'm going to stick with the biking because I love riding. Just wondering how long it took for others to notice their clothes fitting better.

Sometimes we can be our own worst enemy when it comes to weight loss-- I too grew accustomed to quick rewards when I was younger, but honestly, it isn't a sustainable weight loss plan. We must be patient with our bodies. These days my body seems to lag, making it even harder to stick to a plan. Even weight gain has a lag, which seems to compound the problem for me... if I don't see the effects of mildly bad habits soon enough, it will get me into about 5 lbs of trouble suddenly about a month later! Working out seems to function the same way though, so I think the secret is probably patience and consistency. Keep at it-- it WILL come off. Watch your diet to make sure you aren't cheating or overcompensating. I definitely am guilty of the latter.

Most of all, good luck!
    Help me reach my $8,000 goal for the American Lung Association! Riding Seattle to D.C. for clean air! http://larissaridesforcleanair.org
    http://action.lungusa.org/goto/larissapowers

To lose weight I reduce calories so that I lose about a pound a week. To get fit I exercise. Frankly, exercise doesn't get you weight loss like reducing calories does. I heard about a poster that has a picture of a sundae on it, saying it equaled walking up 2500 stairs. Easier not to eat the sundae.

I agree completely, goldfinch. Diet has a stronger influence. My issue is that when I train hard, it's like I lose all sense of how much to eat and when. For that reason I am going to see a nutritionist to find out how much I should really be eating on days when I am riding 25 miles plus. There is almost too much conventional wisdom out there to make sense of it all. I have a hard time listening to my body too-- it sends me mixed messages!
    Help me reach my $8,000 goal for the American Lung Association! Riding Seattle to D.C. for clean air! http://larissaridesforcleanair.org

My caloric intake is definitely my problem. I really need to cut the mt dew in the morning and sweets. I tell myself I need the "extra" calories after riding, but I need to make sure they are good foods, not the junk I'm used to. I am very picky, but am trying to eat more fruits and vegetables. I have a 6 yr old boy and twins girls who will be 4 in November, and I knew once the girls got older, I would start to gain weight because I wouldn't be chasing them all over the house anymore. Looks like I was right!

Perhaps you could find a new way to be active with them! Do they have balance bikes?

There was a family at the boarding school where I used to live that would take a walk together daily. I don't have children, but I always thought it was particularly special

You also have to keep in mind that your weight might not change. If you are already thin but not in shape, those pounds might not come off. I have always been thin as well, but not in shape. I bike 20 miles a day to and from work and then put about 100 miles a week on my other bike. I eat fairly well (I slip now and then). I weigh exactly the same now as I did in February when I started. The difference is, I'm mostly muscle at this point, especially my legs. And my clothes do fit better. It took a while though - it probably wasn't until about 5 months into it that I really noticed any difference at all.

Good luck and be patient, it'll happen

I am glad I am not the only one frustrated by the lack of weight loss. I am not a huge food fan, but I do eat. I am not anorexic or anything. I think all of this is compounded by taking insulin (type one diabetes), low thyroid (family thing),age and gaining muscle under my fat! I have been biking about 5 days a week and working out hard, eating less but more carbs and I have not lost one single pound.
    “Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes.”.
    ~Oscar Wilde

Type One Diabetes
    currently using Medtronic MiniMed
    Revel 723 with CGMS

Thanks for all the advice and encouragement! I will try and be patient(not my strong suit) and see what happens!

Hi! I have been riding for just over a month, usually 3 times a week (total of 50-75 miles/week), with no weight loss. However I do notice that some of my pants are fitting better, being just a *wee bit looser at the waist. I think it could be, as WestTexas said, that some of the tummy fat is going away and being replaced with muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat, is my understanding. (I'm 45 yrs. old, 5'6" and 150-153lbs, depending on the day/hour.
    2005 Trek 1000
    "It never gets easier, you just go faster."
    Greg LeMond

Quote Originally Posted by Gulf_Coast_Lady View Post
    Muscle weighs more than fat, is my understanding.
    Just because I am one of those people who ruin movies for others by debunking false science...

Muscle doesn't weigh more than fat. One pound of fat and one pound of muscle are the same - one pound. However, muscle is more dense than fat, so that pound of muscle will take up less space than that pound of fat. Therefore, you can be "smaller" but weigh the same, because overall your body is more dense from increased muscle.

Quote Originally Posted by goldfinch View Post
    To lose weight I reduce calories so that I lose about a pound a week. To get fit I exercise. Frankly, exercise doesn't get you weight loss like reducing calories does. I heard about a poster that has a picture of a sundae on it, saying it equaled walking up 2500 stairs. Easier not to eat the sundae.
    just that thought of that made me go ahhhgggg. I'd step away from the ice cream too if I had one of those hanging in my kitchen.. lol

Quote Originally Posted by westtexas View Post
    Just because I am one of those people who ruin movies for others by debunking false science...

Muscle doesn't weigh more than fat. One pound of fat and one pound of muscle are the same - one pound. However, muscle is more dense than fat, so that pound of muscle will take up less space than that pound of fat. Therefore, you can be "smaller" but weigh the same, because overall your body is more dense from increased muscle.

also muscle burns more calories than fat does so it packs a double whammy,
    marni
    Katy, Texas
    Trek Madone 6.5- "Red"
    Trek Pilot 5.2- " Bebe"

"easily outrun by a chihuahua."