Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Cool Handlebar grip suggestions?

To disable ads, please log-in.

There must be many out there who get over one health problem, to only be faced by another, where riding is concerned.

Am having lots of problems with my hands, DeQuervain's tendonitis, where the tendons around the base of the thumb are irritated or constricted and Trigger Finger! That along with a couple of finger joints, especially pinky fingers being tight and painful to bend and finally wrist pain, sometimes sharp, probably some arthritis creeping in too, being an old biddy.

My Doctor has told me not to ride my bike, like I am going to listen to that!

I am not doing that many miles, 20 miles is the most but even riding 5 miles my hands are very painful afterwards.

So, my question is any suggestions for some good handlebar grips, (I ride a mountain bike) and possibly something to wrap around the bar ends?

I try to move my hands around, especially avoiding the heel of my palm as that bony bit gets very tender too.

Any suggestions appreciated.
    Clock

Orange Clockwork - Limited Edition 1998

‘Enjoy your victories of each day'

I don't have any real suggestion for grips, but wanted to tell you I had DeQuarvains several years ago in my right thumb. Damn painful. Did they do that test where you hold your thumb in your fist, then tilt it down? By the time I got to my orthopedic surgeon, he asked me to do that and I told him no. He cracked up and asked me to do it just a little bit so he could judge the severity.

I initially had a cortisone shot which did provide relief for several months. But ultimately when it started to come back, we went with surgery. It was pretty simple outpatient surgery and I was writing some with that hand in a weeks time.

HTH,
    Susan

Oh, no. Perhaps a trekking bar, to allow different hand positions and wrapping? Bontrager makes one of carbon, which should dampen road chatter more than aluminum. Doing a search, I've found 'hybrids', where grips, like those from Ergon, are mounted on a trekking bar. See one here.

Grips from Ergon was the first thing that came to my mind, but I do remember my hands being sore when I rode a mountain bike, regardless of the grip. Hence the suggestion for the trekking bars, to allow you to move around.

Many thanks for your replies.

Yesterday morning I had to see my chiropractor and immediately she told me to stop using my laptop sat on the settee and to get ergonomic handgrips for my bike (didn't know they existed),

Came home did a search and discovered a pair in a nearby LBS, result, just the ones I wanted with bar ends, even better my BF treated me to them, so hopefully in the next couple of hours, he will be putting them on my bike for me. Once done I will show off and post a pic!

I was a bit surprised how much they cost, £49.99 ($81)!!!

Now coming back onto this thread, cheers pll, just the handgrips you mentioned.

Going off my Topic, SouthernBelle, I had a nosey at your Blog, absolutely brilliant photos, I have spent ages this morning looking at them, love the one of the cat with his paw on the rear wheel.
    Clock

Smile

Ergon's (GR3) fitted and tried out, think they are going to help big time.

Clock

Hey Clock,

I hope your hands feel as good as those new grips look!
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

Cheers Malkin

Here is a better view, shows how much better it will be for my hands, I am so pleased.

Clock

Quote Originally Posted by ClockworkOrange View Post
    Many thanks for your replies.

Yesterday morning I had to see my chiropractor and immediately she told me to stop using my laptop sat on the settee and to get ergonomic handgrips for my bike (didn't know they existed),

Came home did a search and discovered a pair in a nearby LBS, result, just the ones I wanted with bar ends, even better my BF treated me to them, so hopefully in the next couple of hours, he will be putting them on my bike for me. Once done I will show off and post a pic!

I was a bit surprised how much they cost, £49.99 ($81)!!!

Now coming back onto this thread, cheers pll, just the handgrips you mentioned.

Going off my Topic, SouthernBelle, I had a nosey at your Blog, absolutely brilliant photos, I have spent ages this morning looking at them, love the one of the cat with his paw on the rear wheel.
    So Glad you found some grips. & glad you enjoyed the blog. That is Miss Kitty. Still have her she is 21 y.o.