Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Let the running season begin! September Running

To disable ads, please log-in.

It's the beginning of running season (for me anyways). Traditionally, September/October are the last two hard training months on the bike and the time when I begin working on my base for running again. I don't like to do too much of either sport, I just get burnt out. I tried "winter biking" this year and I will never be tempted to do it ever again. Ever. I'll stick to running thank you.

Went for a very hot, humid, wet run this morning. 6.5 miles. Same run I did last week. Except last week I averaged 20 seconds a mile faster AND had a lower heart rate . . . I'm guessing this has to do with the drastic difference in temperature and humidity. I much prefer running in the cold.

I managed to snort Endura through my nose at some point. It was awful. I felt like I need to sneeze and cough the rest of the way home. And my nose was super runny (no pun intended).
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2012 Trek Superfly Elite AL
    2nd Sport, Pando Fall Challenge 2011 and 3rd Expert Peak2Peak 2011
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR
    Iceman 2010-6th Place AG State Games, 2010-1st Sport, Cry Baby Classic 2010-7th Expert, Blackhawk XTerra Tri 2007-3rd AG

Occasionally Updated Blog

Did 5 miles with 3 at 'tempo' last night after work. Tempo for me is trying to maintain a 10M/M pace...so not exactly fast. Funny thing was, the tempo part was actually less painful than the slower parts. I think maybe my slow, easy running form is off.

New shoes worked great (run #2). These might be keepers!
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by GLC1968 View Post
    New shoes worked great (run #2). These might be keepers!
    Which ones are these??
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

I did a little over 10 mostly hilly miles today. I was intentionally keeping it easy and not looking at pace, but honestly it felt quicker than the 11 minute pace it wound up being. Ah well ... I had a good tempo run on flat ground last week, 6 miles @9:01. Hot today, but they're calling for it to cool off by next week.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by Blueberry View Post
    Which ones are these??
    NB Minimus trail. Wide width, short enough for me, and apparently tight enough around the arch to hold the shoe in place when I run and not give me black and blue toes. This was a problem with all my other mimimal shoes - if they were wide enough for my toe spread, they turned them black and blue eventually!

Totally bare became too much of a hassle, so this might be the right compromise for me.
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by GLC1968 View Post
    NB Minimus trail. Wide width, short enough for me, and apparently tight enough around the arch to hold the shoe in place when I run and not give me black and blue toes. This was a problem with all my other mimimal shoes - if they were wide enough for my toe spread, they turned them black and blue eventually!

Totally bare became too much of a hassle, so this might be the right compromise for me.
    Those are the shoes I want.

I ran...not sure the distance, but 38 minutes up a mountain and then 12:30 back down it yesterday. With walk breaks when the world started spinning. Reminds me, I need to look up those trail maps.

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

It was a little cooler yesterday - in the mid 70s. I went out for a trail run on the Emigrant Trail. Beautiful. I felt good, there was no one else out there, and I ran for a full hour without a thought. I love it when things come together like that.

To race or not to race, that was the question. Of course, I raced, a 5k fundraiser for a church-run food pantry in my neighborhood. I had planned on not racing again until I got my weight back up to 125, but oh well... We're currently having our hottest weather of the year, and it was 90F when I got to the finish line (YUCK!!!!). So I approached the race as a group run with a finish line and awards ceremony, and left my watch in the car. It was awful-- my right calf started cramping about 2 miles in, and I ended up walking most of the last mile. Final time was 31:25, my slowest ever. I wasn't going to hang around for the awards but I ran into a friend, and so I was there to get the shocking news that I'd won my age group! Kinda embarassing, my worst race ever and I won.

It was so awful out there that only 2 runners broke 20:00. But cooler weather's on the way-- predicted high for Monday is only 68F. Today's forcast is for 98F.

Ten miles this morning...whole run was below 60 degrees.

I remembered the hard way why I don't run with a fuel belt. So much jostling of my innards...I hate that thing. Dumped it at the last water stop with our coach. Last 2 miles were pure bliss.

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

Trying to get back into running. Went out today and just did a very slow 3 miles. (as well as a couple of walk breaks) It was very hot and humid so that didnt help.

I am taking it very very slow so I dont hurt my foot. I'm a bit paranoid since having foot surgery about 6 mos ago that entailed removing and reattaching my AT. But the upside is... so far, so good!

Good running everyone.

Ran/walked 30 minutes with the dog early this morning. That's the most he's run in a few months. Gotta really watch him, because he loves to run, but he's not the sleek healthy runner he once was. As soon as he drops behind me, or his head starts lowering, we stop and walk.

At one point a cyclist went past us and called out "Pretty dog!"

Yes, he is, and the best running buddy ever. It's very hard watching him get old and sore. (The vet says he's ok to keep running, as long as he's having fun.)

Very very happy with my Saucony Kinvaras. For being so lightweight and having almost no outsole, they are really holding up well.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

This is the month I get back to running. YAY!!! I had to quit 2-3 months ago, because the tendons in my ankles and shins could not handle running on top of the 1000+ miles/month I was riding to prep for PBP. Now that that is over, I can sart running agin. I'm so excited to get back out there! Of course, I fully expect to have to run/walk for the first couple of weeks, so as not to overdo it, but that's OK.

Hoping to do alot of trail running this winter. I really enjoy it. But once the days get shorter, I'll only be able to do that on weekends. But for now, I hope to get out a few nights a week and run on the Wildwood trail, which is only 15 minutes from my office. The trick is getting out of the office at a reasonable time....
    Susan Otcenas
    TeamEstrogen.com
    See our newest cycling jerseys
    1-877-310-4592

Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...
    I haven't been so good about running lately...hot weather is the pits! So glad fall is coming...looking forward to being able to actually run without getting wiped out just from the heat. I would have run today but it was just too sticky so I walked instead, on some new trails (on the property of a local farm/apple orchard) that are really nice. Next time I might even try running barefoot there...the trails aren't as rocky as most of the ones around here and I didn't see any broken glass (or even any other trash) the entire time. Those trails will be perfect for winter snowshoeing too.
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

It's time for a very easy week, so I didn't run Sunday or Monday, and today went just 2 miles on the treadmill (it's chilly, raining, and windy this morning). I'd forgotten just how much I hate the treadmill...

Anyone doing a 9/11 commerative run this weekend? There are a bunch around here. Thinking of doing the one put on by our local fire department; it's 4.03 mile, in honor of the 403 firefighters that died in NY.

skhill, I am participating in a memorial 5k on Sat. It is my first!