Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

To disable ads, please log-in.

I am having good luck with the Kinvaras. I had been wearing shoes for serious overpronation but wanted to try something more minimal. Since July my daily shoes have been Merrills barefoot shoes and I think that has helped with transition to more minimal running shoes.

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post
    Thanks, Oak.

Will do re: the Altra. My feet are very narrow in the heal, and the rest of my foot is mostly narrow, but I have a slighter wider forefoot. I have been wearing the Mizuno Waverider with success. However, they changed the fit this past year, and they don't work for me anymore. I still have a pair of the old model that are in good shape, so there's no emergency. But that aside, I would like to try a more minimal shoe at some point.
    If you wear a 7 or a 7.5, I've got two pair of Intuitions that have never been worn that I'd be happy to sell to you (at a discount, of course). I bought two pair, trying to get them to work for me but with my super wide forefoot, it was a no go. Unfortunately, I waited too long to return them.
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

GLC, remind me what you're wearing now? I have to get out of those Nikes.

The Intuitions really are not minimal. They just don't have high heels.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by GLC1968 View Post
    If you wear a 7 or a 7.5, I've got two pair of Intuitions that have never been worn that I'd be happy to sell to you (at a discount, of course). I bought two pair, trying to get them to work for me but with my super wide forefoot, it was a no go. Unfortunately, I waited too long to return them.
    I wear a 7 1/2 in street shoes but go up at least a size in athletic shoes. Otherwise, I'd take you up on your offer.
    Last edited by indysteel; 09-30-2011 at 04:18 PM.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

9 miles today, part way through the wash. Running through sand is tough! Then I had a 20 mph headwind coming back. Had not planned to run that far because my last run was over 9 miles (I'm not an experienced runner, I just have a podcast I love to listen to while running). I may do a HM yet!

For me, teaching spinning 3X week really cuts into my bike, running & lifting. My classes are at 6AM so I have to be up no later than 4AM & I'm toast after teaching. The teaching may need to go away. I really love my "me" time but not getting it.
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post
    I wear a 7 1/2 in street shoes but go up at least a size in athletic shoes. Otherwise, I'd take you up on your offer.
    Ooops, I actually have a 7 1/2 and an 8, but they run small. I am typically a 7 wide and these fit me in length in the 8, so they'd be short on you anyway.

Oak - I'm super happy with the NB Minimus Trail. I'm actually hoping to try on the NB Minimus for road later today as well, but the trail ones have been great for road running for me.

Men's EE NB Minimus cross-trainers are what I just got for the gym, and they seem to be pretty much okay (a little bit pointy in the toe, and could be just a smidge wider, but closer than anything I've worn so far). And my sister who has feet like mine, but a little wider in the heel, just started running and got a pair of the men's Minimus Road, too.

I just stopped in a store for something else when I was out of town last week and took a look - they didn't have my size in stock, but the NB road shoes definitely have more sole than the gym shoes, so maybe they would have enough cushion for the sharp half-fist-sized rocks I have to run on a lot of the time. They've got a 4mm heel-toe drop, but that's still way better than whatever the Nikes are, I'm sure it's well over 10mm. I'll have to check them out.

ETA: zero drop NB will be out in the spring, supposedly. Hmmmmmmm.
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 10-01-2011 at 06:09 AM.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I was a tad worried about the 4mm drop (as most of the shoes I wear for everyday use are zero drop from Vivobarefoot), but I don't notice it at all when I run. I am very much a mid/fore foot striker (always have been), so it's not really a problem.

I went with the womens D width as they don't make the men's short enough for me (as usual). They aren't as wide as my walking around shoes, but they got me through a 10 mile run with no undue pain, so I think they'll do for now. NB now needs to make a hiking boot to fit me and I'll be a happy camper!