Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Yellow, you are right. I want to love running and in my head I picture myself being strong running, but once I get out there, it's mostly a no-go. And when i do run faster or further than usual, I pay for it for the next few days. I have some physical issues with cycling, too, but it never stops me from riding; in fact I can often achieve a good average for me when i start off feeling like crap. I really don't have any expectations of speed or mileage, though, when I run. It's just, with cycling, I had a steady improvement for a few years, until I realized I was driving myself nuts trying to get faster and now I am much more relaxed about it. But, I never had that ramp up with running. I had one spring and one fall where I steadily improved, but then either cycling or winter sports took over. It just pisses me off; I see others who look much more out of shape than me become "runners," and I just don't seem to have it.
    What's a pro-con list? Pardon for being ignorant...
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

@Crankin, I think what she meant is just to make a list of the pros and cons of running, for you; take a hard look at what you're getting from it vs. what it seems to take out of you, to help you decide whether you want to continue pushing at it. Sounds like a good idea to me.

I was feeling just super sore and tired today - partly from the last couple of days, partly I'm not sure why - so I gave the hypothetical magic 8-ball a shake for the first time in a while. It said to do the 9-mile loop that's the flattest run I get from home (something like 500 feet of climbing, give or take). It felt surprisingly good, right at a 10 minute pace. It was a perfect day for running, 70° and very dry.

I'll do the hilly 13 next week instead, and then start my taper - although it's hard for me to get excited about this half, I do have a time goal in mind.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

OK, I must have a severe lapse in my thinking there.
    Oy.
    I think the cons are winning.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Well, FWIW my application is in for the Boston marathon. Odds of actually getting in are probably close to zero, but there are people who qualified by 55 seconds or less who are behind me in line, right?

If I don't get in I'll think harder about running Disney. There's still time to train for that one...

Ooh, exciting, Oak! Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

I ran last Friday (also on the VT campus) where I did 3 miles with a coworker. We kept a good pace despite having run the day before. Then, on the flight home, we did another run workout in the Charlotte airport. Gate E28 to gate B11 in less than 10 minutes while carrying luggage! Oy. I hate that. But we made it - barely. It was so close that the lady encouraged me to 'run, don't walk!' down the jet way, the baggage guy was standing there to take my now 'gate checked' bag, and they closed the airplane door directly behind me. Whew! Bonus points to USAir for getting that bag all the way to Porland without issue, too.

Anyway, I blew off my longer run yesterday in favor of some much needed farm work, but I hope to still get it in this evening after work.
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

I blew off my morning run today too. I just hope I have the guts to go out this afternoon - it's suppose to get to 92 here today. We won't see fall until November when it starts raining and we have endless fog!

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

The Good News:

Had an absolute BLAST with my friend Jill yesterday doing the Muddy Buddy. http://muddy-buddy.competitor.com/ What a hoot! Ends up being about 3 miles running and 3 miles mountain biking for each team member. The obstacles were quite challenging, and the terrain was surprisingly tough, but we had so much fun. I look forward to doing it again next year.

The bad news:

My left knee is not healing, and if anything it's worse now than it was right after Paris-Brest-Paris. I think I need to call a 2-3 week hiatus from ALL running and riding. It's definitely an overuse injury, and if I don't get it healed now, my Ironman training is going to be impossible. Sooooo, for the next few weeks, I'm afraid it's going to be nothing but the pool and the weight room for me. (OTOH, if I spend enough time in the gym, maybe I can have shoulders like Veronica. That would be awesome. )
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	308461_2492203783449_1203394721_3161973_567811728_n.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	89.5 KB 
ID:	13744   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	305439_2492213383689_1203394721_3161988_625206478_n.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	83.5 KB 
ID:	13745   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	303808_2492208463566_1203394721_3161983_749680865_n.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	65.5 KB 
ID:	13746  
    Susan Otcenas
    TeamEstrogen.com
    See our newest cycling jerseys
    1-877-310-4592

Sorry Susan, it will take more than a few weeks.

Veronica

TandemHearts.com

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica View Post
    Sorry Susan, it will take more than a few weeks.

Veronica
    Darn.
    Susan Otcenas
    TeamEstrogen.com
    1-877-310-4592

And it never gets easier. I'm progressed to clapping push ups and unassisted pull ups and dips.

Veronica

TandemHearts.com

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica View Post
    And it never gets easier. I'm progressed to clapping push ups and unassisted pull ups and dips.

Veronica
    I can clap. Does that count?

In all seriousness, though, I'll want to put together a gym routine that will mitigate the loss of run/bike fitness while I'm sidelined. Anyone have any favorite links or recommendations?
    Susan Otcenas
    TeamEstrogen.com
    1-877-310-4592

Try nerd fitness.com

Lots of practical workouts there.

Veronica

TandemHearts.com

Oak, your reservation at the Crankin hotel still stands.
    And I believe I have the day off (Patriot's Day), so I can drive you to Hopkinton at like 5 AM.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Thanks a million Crankin. On the off chance that I actually get in...

Crankin, I know what you mean about the love/hate relationship with running. It's taken me 2 years to get to this point and I'm still S-L-O-W. Some people are naturals and improve so fast but not me but I've stuck with it even though I hated it a year ago because it hurt so bad. I just didn't progress like I did with cycling. It seems like something hurt every time I ran. I had shin splints and tendonitis and IT band problems but stuck with it and it has finally paid off. I'm enjoying it now and am even thinking of doing a marathon, even though I'm still slow. I will never be a fast runner but I finally feel like a runner. Just think if it as good cross-training for the bike.

I ran the Upper Midwest Warrior Dash over the weekend. Holy cow, what fun!!! I don't have any pictures yet but if anyone gets the chance to do one or is even considering it, do it! I would highly recommend it. I did it with DH, DS and DDIL. We had a blast!

Susan, the Muddy Buddy looks fun!

Luna Eclipse/Selle Italia Lady
    Surly Pacer/Terry Butterfly
    Quintana Roo Cd01/Koobi Stratus
    1981 Schwinn Le Tour Tourist
    Jamis Coda Femme