Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thumbs up Lead by Example - Way to go Team Estrogen

To disable ads, please log-in.

http://www.bta4bikes.org/btablog/200...-parking-ever/

Very nice coverage of TE's new bike storage facilities

Oh, that every employer was so accomodating to bike commuters.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    '89 Bridgestone Radac Dura-Ace | Specialized Ruby, 143
    '92 Bridgestone MB-1 | Specialized Ruby, 143
    '92 Bridgestone MB-1.2 (balloon tire bike) | Specialized Ruby, 143
    '93 Bridgestone MB-5 (my SUB*) | Specialized Lithia, 143

My blog: Portlandia Pedaler (at Blogger)

I like the shower and bike clothing storage. Now that is work friendly.

For mass bike storage in a city though, check out Japan's cycle tower:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wE4fvwTBtno

I love my employer! I work at a large hospital where employee parking/driving is a big issue, for several reasons. They do everything they can to give people the incentive to pry themselves out of their cars and they boost bikes the most. I believe the hospital goal is to have 80% of employees using alternate commutes in the end (bus, bike, walk, telecommute, vanpool).

Bike Benefits
    -covered, secure bike storage - hanging racks in a card key access bike cage in the parking garage - the one I use is steps from the entrance (drivers, unless you have a ton of seniority mostly have to park off site and get shuttled in)
    -lockers and showers w/towel service - we have 4 showers in our locker room. The OR staff has access to their own as well, with several more showers and personal lockers.
    -$$$ -I don't have to pay for parking like drivers do *and* I get a "commute bonus" any time I don't drive (which for me is never)
    -incentives - I collected an extra $100 in gift cards this summer for riding every work day in June and July
    -free super duper 3 county all inclusive bus pass (well everyone gets one of those - but it sure is handy)

perks - mostly I don't use them, but is nice to see them offered
    --company bikes - in exchange for giving up the commute bonus and a commitment to ride at least 2 days per week - year round, they give you a permanent loaner with free maintenance as long as you work there. The bikes are pretty nice. They used to be Jamis flat bar commuters, but they may have switched brands recently. I think they come with everything a newbie needs to get started - helmet, front and rear light, lock.
    --discounted repair and maintenance service from a guy who comes on site
    --classes - like commuting 101
    --intermittent offers of discounted gear
    Last edited by Eden; 09-02-2011 at 09:07 AM.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Beautiful. I notice the recumbent in front of the lockers - no place to hang it? (I also bet I know who it belongs to).
    I notice the #22, how many employees work in the building, is there bike parking for each one, and a few extras for guests?
    I just rode in this morning to find an orange cone in front of our piddly, old fashioned bike rack, it has been pulled out of what little ground it was stuck in. It's a horrid style anyway, the old fashioned loop ones that barely grab your front tires - assuming you ride a road bike, they are even worse for bents.
    My photoblog
    http://dragons-fly-peacefully.blogspot.com/
    Bacchetta Giro (recumbent commuter)
    Bacchetta Corsa (recumbent "fast" bike)
    Greespeed X3 (recumbent "just for fun" trike)
    Strada Velomobile
    I will never buy another bike!

Quote Originally Posted by Eden View Post
    I love my employer! I work at a large hospital where employee parking/driving is a big issue, for several reasons. They do everything they can to give people the incentive to pry themselves out of their cars and they boost bikes the most. I believe the hospital goal is to have 80% of employees using alternate commutes in the end (bus, bike, walk, telecommute, vanpool).

Bike Benefits
    -covered, secure bike storage - hanging racks in a card key access bike cage in the parking garage - the one I use is steps from the entrance (drivers, unless you have a ton of seniority mostly have to park off site and get shuttled in)
    -lockers and showers w/towel service - we have 4 showers in our locker room. The OR staff has access to their own as well, with several more showers and personal lockers.
    -$$$ -I don't have to pay for parking like drivers do *and* I get a "commute bonus" any time I don't drive (which for me is never)
    -incentives - I collected an extra $100 in gift cards this summer for riding every work day in June and July
    -free super duper 3 county all inclusive bus pass (well everyone gets one of those - but it sure is handy)

perks - mostly I don't use them, but is nice to see them offered
    --company bikes - in exchange for giving up the commute bonus and a commitment to ride at least 2 days per week - year round, they give you a permanent loaner with free maintenance as long as you work there. The bikes are pretty nice. They used to be Jamis flat bar commuters, but they may have switched brands recently. I think they come with everything a newbie needs to get started - helmet, front and rear light, lock.
    --discounted repair and maintenance service from a guy who comes on site
    --classes - like commuting 101
    --intermittent offers of discounted gear

I bet I know which hospital you work at . My hospital doesn't provide ANY cycling incentives besides a locked bike cage. It would be wonderful to have showers. As it is, we get ragged on for using "too much linen".
    2014 Surly Straggler
    2012 Salsa Casseroll - STOLEN

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    I'm at headquarters where there is a security carded lockable outdoor bike storage area for about 80 bikes with bike racks. There is floor bike pump and tools for employee-cyclists to do some minor fixes. During spring -summer there are approx. 40-70 bikes on any day.

We have 1 shower on ....the same floor where I work. It's the only shower in whole building. No, I don't have a huge distance to bike so not worth it for me. (But I never cycled at other workplaces where I had to cycle triple the disance and it was during more humid, hotter temp. I just can't be bothered to blow-dry and all the effort......)

The employer actually did ask a question this week as part of employee feedback on our benefits, about adequacy of bike storage facilities...for 12, 000 employees since we have several other work sites elsewhere. We do have about 3-5 bikes for loan. But I haven't seen them advertised anywhere yet as a service for employees.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Quote Originally Posted by TsPoet View Post
    Beautiful. I notice the recumbent in front of the lockers - no place to hang it? (I also bet I know who it belongs to).
    I notice the #22, how many employees work in the building, is there bike parking for each one, and a few extras for guests?
    Hi TsPoet - yup, that was my blue Giro leaning against the lockers :-) That picture was taken back in 2007 I think (I don't have that bike anymore). There was room to hang it but I think I was either just arriving or just leaving when the BTA group was there and the pic was taken. There is one hook that is up higher than the others, so either of my bents will fit, or Jeff & Susan's tandem (or a visitor's bent or tandem).

There are 11 employees at the moment, so plenty of room for all our bikes, plus some for visitors. Susan & Jeff wanted plenty of room in case the company grows enough to need the space.

Do you ride your velo to work? If so, where do you park it?
    Edna

Quote Originally Posted by evangundy View Post
    Do you ride your velo to work? If so, where do you park it?
    Edna
    Just saw this, I do ride to work, did today. As for parking, I haven't really figured that out. First couple of times I took up a parking spot, one that isn't used at the back of the lot. But, people "mentioned it", so i moved it to the back area on top of gravel next to the back entrance doors - again people made comments.
    Right now it is in the rocks next to the bike rack (that's been pulled out of its moorings). As long as I don't get a puncture from the sharp rocks, I think it'll stay there. I like that I can see it from my office window.
    I still get comments about it, but not where it's parked, so I guess this is acceptable with my co-workers.
    My photoblog
    http://dragons-fly-peacefully.blogspot.com/
    Bacchetta Giro (recumbent commuter)
    Bacchetta Corsa (recumbent "fast" bike)
    Greespeed X3 (recumbent "just for fun" trike)
    Strada Velomobile
    I will never buy another bike!

What an awesome article!

I have to say, I feel quite spoiled at work too. The company I work for provides bikers with their own dedicated bicycle garage, with 30 lockers that are heated and vented and an additional 50 that aren't. The garage is adjacent to the gym, which has 8 showers (in two separate locker rooms; one for the women, one for the men).

And here's the best part: the Belgian government really tries to motivate people to bike into work by allowing companies to compensate their employees who commute by bike with tax-free benefits. I get paid 0.21€ per kilometer (so almost 0.50$ per mile) to bike to work. Not too shabby eh? Since I work about 24 miles from home and I ride my bike into work every day, I get an extra 500$ a month NOT to drive my car/motorcycle and spend a freaking fortune on gas (which costs about 8 bucks a gallon here).

That looks similar to the bike parking where I work, but I'm unable to use it because I'm not able to lift my commuter bike up to get it in the hooks. Does anyone else have this problem?

It sure would be nice to be compensated but, I am lucky to be able to park my bike inside our building. We have no showers so, I am well supplied with baby wipes
    2012 Trek Lexa SL
    2012 Giant TCX2
    2015 Trek Remedy 7
    2016 Trek Lexa C
    2016 Specialized Hellga-Fat Bike

we didn't have bike parking at my building so i put in a facilities request. Now we are the model that other buildings in my huge company follow when THEY want bike parking.
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi