Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Getting my "BG Fit" done tomorrow - Specialized

To disable ads, please log-in.

I started to get a little lower back pain so my LBS shop "fitted" me again.

That weekend I started getting achilles pain - not good!

I decided to get a real fitting. That's tomorrow. Fingers crossed this works...

Beth

Good idea! Let us know how it goes, and if it solves your problem.
    '02 Eddy Merckx Fuga, Selle An Atomica
    '85 Eddy Merckx Professional, Selle An Atomica

'10 Soma Double Cross DC, Selle An Atomica

Slacker on wheels.

Yes I'm interested to hear also.
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls & looks like work" - Thomas Edison

I had the BG Basic Fit earlier this summer and what a difference! Everything feels better AND I have more power. I highly recommend it and hope that it works for you Beth.

2001 Trek 7500 FX, converted to a hauler - Serfas
    200? Marin hybrid - Selle San Marco
    2004 Trek 5200 - Avatar
    2011 Trek 6.2 Madone - Ruby

How was your fitting Beth?
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls & looks like work" - Thomas Edison

I'm interested too! I want to know what you think. I just googled "BG Fit" and "Michigan" and found out that one of the ladies I race against is a licensed fitter. I may send her an email.
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2012 Trek Superfly Elite AL
    2nd Sport, Pando Fall Challenge 2011 and 3rd Expert Peak2Peak 2011
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR
    Iceman 2010-6th Place AG State Games, 2010-1st Sport, Cry Baby Classic 2010-7th Expert, Blackhawk XTerra Tri 2007-3rd AG

Occasionally Updated Blog

I am home! It was fantastic!

I found out my LBS fitting two weeks ago had my seat a HALF AN INCH too high! No wonder I was getting Achilles pains the wkd I did 61 miles (41 for long ride). I got that pain almost immediately after the LBS raised my seat.

AND: TADA! I am back in clipless! He talked me into SPDs. I could tell right away that they were different and MUCH easier. It doesn't seem that much harder than just taking my foot off the platform. We will see if I feel the same way on the bike trail, but, I could instantly tell how much easier they were. The good news is that the other side is a platform so if I get a little leery of it at times (hills) I can take one foot out and pedal on the platform.

He shortened my stem a little, and the clipless will put the pedal more directly under my feet than just barely on the ball the way the stirrups did.

You are videotaped during this. I was not doing the heels down thing. I would have to say my natural stroke kinda looks like the goop-scraping thing a kind poster here mentioned (was that Indysteel?).

I also am on shoe number THREE. Well, a size larger in the second shoe. I have a size 9 and a 10. I am usually an 8.5 - 9 in shoes. The 9 was OK for short rides, but not long ones. So the toe numbness and toenail pain should go away.

So I have three shoes, and three pedal sets now. Two stems, too.

HTH?

??? inquiring minds want to know what is a BG fit. Big Girl Fit?

Body Geometry. Specialized certified...

so is that extra at your bike shop?

I was looking at getting that done. It's supposed to be a more comprehensive fitting that takes approximately 2 hours and costs $200 at my local shop.

Would love to hear how your experience goes and whether or not you would recommend it over their basic free fitting with a bike purchase.

My LBS is also a Specialized only dealer. They do BG fittings that start somewhere in the $90.00 range and go up to $180.00. Don't ask me what they do at the eighty vs the one-eighty. I think I need to do this. I always feel like I am stretching too far and my neck and shoulders burn. I find that I am gripping my top bar farther back instead of on the hood to compensate. I really think I need a fitting. The place that I purchased my bike from did a basic fitting, but they had me sitting way too compact so I moved the seat back, left the more upright stem. However, I still get the neck pain.

Was it worth the expense? I think I want this done, I just don't want to be disappointed that I spend the money and still end up with shoulder pain.
    “Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes.”.
    ~Oscar Wilde

Type One Diabetes
    currently using Medtronic MiniMed
    Revel 723 with CGMS

Mine was 300 with new pedals and stem.

I can't tell you for a few weeks how it will work out. Going on vacation...

I had a 2.5 hour BG fit session about two months ago for $125. I'd say it was worth the money. Some things were definitely improved by the session; others, less so.

Among the changes the fitter made were narrower handlebars, which have made a BIG difference; a shim for my right cleat to compensate for a leg length difference; and moving my cleats further back. He also changed my stem and repositioned my seat, but I ended up having to adjust those even more myself after the session. He had me sitting a bit more upright than I want to be. I felt too cramped with the shorter stem he had put on. So I went back to my old stem and fiddled with seat position until I got it reasonably "right."

No surprise, the fitter emphasized how important core strength is, given that half of my complaints had to do with shoulder/back fatigue or pain. I'm dutifully doing core exercises now and beginning to feel a real difference in how long I can ride before that pesky ache/burn starts between my shoulders. (Used to be about Mile 10; now it's more like Mile 20.) I hope that as my core continues to improve, my posture on the bike will improve, too...especially on long rides! :-)

At any rate, the session was worth the money to me, if only because of the handlebar change and making me far more aware of my real v. ideal position on the bike.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." (Will Rogers)