Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

MTB winter shoes (BMX pedals)

To disable ads, please log-in.

Any suggestions on good MTB shoes for the winter? I won't be clipping in for at least another year, and last winter I had a major problem with cold feet for road riding. Due to injuries I rode BMX pedals all of last winter on the road. A larger problem than cold feet (which I can solve with covers and chemical warmers) was finding a stiff enough hiking shoe that didn't tear my toenails up from there not being enough room for my toes.

Any suggestions on what has worked for others would be greatly appreciated. I am going to try shoe covers and chemical warmers for road riding this winter, I do have Frogs on my Gunnar and SPD (currently) on the LHT.

So far all of the hiking shoes I can find have too much ventilation for winter riding, and as I remember I had the same problem last year...

It's environmentally unfriendly, but I'm just going to use chemical warmers and wool socks with my hiking shoes. My guess is that I won't be out there much anyway past late November/early December, i.e., after it's cold enough to freeze the ground but before we start to get much in the way of snow and ice.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

But if you really want a winter-specific shoes, just look for a winter hiking boot. Most of the major brands offer an insulated boot. As for having enough room in your toe box, I size up at least one full size for my athletic and hiking shoes, and always have enough room.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Of course it depends on the winter, but I will head south at all opportunities to ride The problem is my hiking shoes, which fit me perfectly well, tore my feet up on the bike last winter and I am trying to prevent a repeat. Just curious if others have used other types of shoes when riding BMX pedals for winter mountain biking...

My feet also blister easily so have had a problem with this when sizing up... I've been wondering if a hiking boot would be flexible enough. Perhaps that is a silly question

I DO tend to over-think...which probably isn't a surprise to my patient fellow TE members...
    Last edited by Catrin; 09-01-2011 at 07:05 AM.

In sizing up, the shoes still have to fit me in that they do not slip in the back and cannot be too wide in the forefoot, while still offering room in the toe box. Same with my running shoes. There's no way that I could wear the same size that I do in street shoes--at least not without killing some toe nails. I have to wonder whether you just haven't found the right shoe for your foot. Go to Rusted Moon in Broad Ripple (or REI when they open up) and try on a bunch. I cannot buy hiking or running shoes without trying them out first, even with brands that normally work for me.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

I've never been able to find a hiking shoe that fits like that. It sounds like I just need to go to either Rusted Moon (and there is an REI store opening here?) and just talk to their staff and not to start with some preconceived opinion on which brand of shoe will fit the best. I AM hard to fit in shoes as my feet are a bit narrow and long at the same time...

Catrin, I have similar problems with running shoes, and there are ways to lace them so that your foot can't slip forward into the extra room in the toe box. Maybe the lacing tricks will help you? This website might help describe what I'm thinking of... http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/locklacing.htm
    Last edited by jessmarimba; 09-01-2011 at 08:30 AM. Reason: err...I can't type.

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post
    In sizing up, the shoes still have to fit me in that they do not slip in the back and cannot be too wide in the forefoot, while still offering room in the toe box. Same with my running shoes. There's no way that I could wear the same size that I do in street shoes--at least not without killing some toe nails.
    and you just hit the nail on the head so to speak as to why I have not worn open toed shoes all summer. Lost the nail on my right big toe and both 2nd toes after the Nashville Country Music Half Marathon in -April by wearing too short shoes. They were the merrel barefoot ones, which I love. My second pair in a full size up.

And open toed shoes and pedicures are one of my favorite things about summer.
    Kim

Specialized Dolce Sport Compact (roadie)
    Specialized Ariel Sport Disc (commuter)
    Trek GF X-Caliber WSD (mtb)
    "Sally" Schwinn Mesa Runner (steel, old, old stand-by)

My blog - this, that, travel, garden, bikes, fitness, family, whatever

Quote Originally Posted by jessmarimba View Post
    Catrin, I have similar problems with running shoes, and there are ways to lace them so that your foot can't slip forward into the extra room in the toe box. Maybe the lacing tricks will help you? This website might help describe what I'm thinking of... http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/locklacing.htm
    Thanks, this is interesting! Hopefully I can find something that will work for both winter mtb riding and winter hiking as well.

But seriously, I second indy's suggestion of trying on a variety of brands and sizes, ESP when helped by a reputable shop. REI is a great source if you get one.

Tho' I also question the need to spend $ on shoes solely for winter MTB at your current level ( or mine for that matter). Black ice, frozen ground just adds to many hazards if you are already concerned about falling and not comfortable with the drop offs next to trails. Isn't there some MUPs you could ride instead? They shouldn't be crowded with either bikers or pedestrians in late fall/ winter.
    Kim

Specialized Dolce Sport Compact (roadie)
    Specialized Ariel Sport Disc (commuter)
    Trek GF X-Caliber WSD (mtb)
    "Sally" Schwinn Mesa Runner (steel, old, old stand-by)

My blog - this, that, travel, garden, bikes, fitness, family, whatever

Quote Originally Posted by kimikaw View Post
    Tho' I also question the need to spend $ on shoes solely for winter MTB at your current level ( or mine for that matter). Black ice, frozen ground just adds to many hazards if you are already concerned about falling and not comfortable with the drop offs next to trails. Isn't there some MUPs you could ride instead? They shouldn't be crowded with either bikers or pedestrians in late fall/ winter.
    Agreed. I, personally, don't think I'll be headed out there much past early December, at least this season. Even assuming I have the skills for winter riding, my assumption is that the trails don't remain rideable for much of the winter. It's one thing to get an occassional dry sunny day that's great for road riding, but the trails take much longer to dry out. At least that's my assumption. I don't know how much snow riding one can do out there. I've done a fair amount of winter hiking at BCSP, and even after a heavy snow, the trails become a mixture of snow, ice and mud.

Catrin, you might ask Jonathan about what to expect in terms of winter trail conditions. DH and I went hiking at BCSP last November and we saw a ton of MTBers that day. The ground was frozen but dry. Within weeks though, we had what turned into an almost permanent cover of snow.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    I've never been able to find a hiking shoe that fits like that. It sounds like I just need to go to either Rusted Moon (and there is an REI store opening here?) and just talk to their staff and not to start with some preconceived opinion on which brand of shoe will fit the best. I AM hard to fit in shoes as my feet are a bit narrow and long at the same time...
    REI is set to open in the spring of 2012 in Castleton. I sure wish the store was going to be downtown--say in Nordstrom's old space. I hate Castleton; I go to that area about once every two years. I like supporting a shop like Rusted Moon, so that's generally okay.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Kind of what got me here is a need for new winter hiking shoes or boots. Then I got to thinking about the possibility of perhaps getting in the occasional trail ride in...and my mind went from there.

I am hoping to "get over" my fear of the edge by the end of the season - but of course there is also the question to consider about how frequently the trails might be in condition to ride at all... Thankfully they do keep up on the trail conditions on our state's mtb association website, which helps a great deal. It is quite possible my Jamis won't be any exercise at all between December and March, but hopefully I will be able to get out at least a couple of times.

I won't ride any of the local multi-user paths, I hate riding it in the worse way for assorted reasons. I do, however, have my lovely country roads and when the conditions don't make that possible, there is the large nature park across from my apartment.

Regardless I will likely get in more hiking this winter than biking, but time will tell. Hopefully this winter will be more moderate than LAST winter...