Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by goldfinch View Post
    Please, post pictures. And thanks for your thoughts.
    Here goes:

The 1st picture is my Aegis in the original state. The bike shop simply took the measurements from my old bike and set it up that way. They never looked at me on the bike. This was done in 2000. Note how low the handlebars are and the setback on the seat post. The head tube is very short which was a common build back then. I don't know if it's obvious but the nose of my saddle is pointed down. I kept sliding forward.

Picture 2 is after the refit in 03. New fork, new stem with a high rise but still lots of spacers, zero degree seatpost and flat saddle. My handlebars were 4 cm too low.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0010.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	111.6 KB 
ID:	13666   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0004_1.JPG 
Views:	158 
Size:	66.6 KB 
ID:	13667  

Thanks Kathi. Given my neck issues I want to be sure that I do not end up with handlebars too low. Plus, I want the option to move them up if my neck gets worse.

For some reason I couldn't post the 3rd picture but here's a link to one I posted several years ago.

This is my beautiful Serotta. Note how long the head tube is. Not sure if you can see the spacers but the bike is designed to raise the handlebars by rearranging the spacers. I can also change the rise in the stem. At this point the fit is perfect. I hope I never have to go to the extreme I had to on the Aegis. This is what a custom frame can be. BTW, I'm 63.

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/attac...6&d=1192890559

I absolutely did not want to compromise handling so this frame is built for 650c wheels. I'm glad I stayed with 650's, handling is a dream, sure and confident. It's a 48 cm frame, I'm just barely 5'2.
    Last edited by Kathi; 09-02-2011 at 04:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathi View Post
    For some reason I couldn't post the 3rd picture but here's a link to one I posted several years ago.

This is my beautiful Serotta. Note how long the head tube is. Not sure if you can see the spacers but the bike is designed to raise the handlebars by rearranging the spacers. I can also change the rise in the stem. At this point the fit is perfect. I hope I never have to go to the extreme I had to on the Aegis. This is what a custom frame can be. BTW, I'm 63.

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/attac...6&d=1192890559
    That bike is gorgeous.

Thanks Kathi. Given my neck issues I want to be sure that I do not end up with handlebars too low. Plus, I want the option to move them up if my neck gets worse.
    The Aegis is at it's limit, the Serotta has room to "age" so to speak.

That bike is gorgeous.
    Thank you, it was my retirement gift to myself. It is carbon and ti, Campy Record, and custom made wheels which were cheaper than the ones my LBS wanted to sell me.
    Last edited by Kathi; 09-02-2011 at 05:09 PM.

Just a bit more to reinforce the good advice that has already been posted:

I'm 5'1" and my Rodriguez is effectively 43cm with 650C wheels. It still has a bit of toe overlap, but I never turn that sharply. The bike it replaced was custom for its original owner, 42cm also with 650C wheels. Both are steel, smooth rides.

With your budget and needs you really should consider custom. Find a fitter you like, ask them how long it takes them to fabricate a bike, how many adjustments they will give you after delivery.

Hopefully with the right bike you'll be able to stay limber and hold off that arthritis a bit longer!
    2014 Bobbin Bramble / Brooks B67
    2008 Rodriguez Rainier Mirage / Terry Butterfly Tri Gel
    2007 Dahon Speed Pro TT / Biologic Velvet
    1998? GT Rebound / Serfas Gel

Terry Fast Woman

Terry Fast woman has 650 Wheels, Steel. I have a 2006 Fast Woman great bike. Very quick. No problem with overlap and I keep up with the 700 wheels no problem.

Also look at Felt ZW petite if you want carbon. This is also with 650 wheels. I spoke with Felt reps and they put the ZW4 petite on the Demo truck. I met up with the truck and took it for a ride, very smooth. I have a ZW1 petite on order.

I spoke with many different bike reps.. about 650 wheels for smaller frames.. it is the best fit but for some reason most people want 700s. I like my 650 wheels even if my choice is limited. I have 1800 miles on my bike and have done multiple day rides with no problem.

I have the Felt ZW petite on my list to try. If I can't locate one I take your idea and call the Felt rep. I feel that it is most likely I will be on 650 wheels. I have no problem with that at all.

Quote Originally Posted by NbyNW View Post
    J

I'm 5'1" and my Rodriguez is effectively 43cm with 650C wheels. It still has a bit of toe overlap, but I never turn that sharply. The bike it replaced was custom for its original owner, 42cm also with 650C wheels. Both are steel, smooth rides.
    I was wondering about the Rodriguez, their prices are very reasonable.

I was wondering about the Rodriguez, their prices are very reasonable.
    Let me know if you have any questions.

Quote Originally Posted by NbyNW View Post
    Let me know if you have any questions.
    Was your bike the full custom or one of their standard frames?

Just got a note from the VP at Guru. They started building our "dream machines," as he called them.
    They seem quite easy to work with. Now we have to zero in on the components...
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Was your bike the full custom or one of their standard frames?
    I ended up getting the smallest standard frame that they make. If it helps, my inseam is 27".

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    Just got a note from the VP at Guru. They started building our "dream machines," as he called them.
    They seem quite easy to work with. Now we have to zero in on the components...
    Cool. Let us know how you fit it out.