Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

You're right, it does sounds we're built very differently. I definitely have wider shoulders as I have issues finding women's clothing that fits properly. I do have a favorite brand (Columbia) which the large and X large shirts fit well, but now I live where I can't find that brand of clothing so I just shop in the men's dept. Actually all my coats and jackets are men's because it's impossible to find a women's coat that fits right. If I find one with the right length for the arms the shoulders are way too tight, find one that fits the shoulders and the arms are way too long. And actually the same goes for the cycling jerseys, I found one women's jersey that fit, but my other ones are all men's. Heck most of the women's xlarge jerseys are too small in the shoulders, so I end up looking at the men's and usually end up with men's medium jerseys. Of course that is one reason I do not like our LBS they seem to think that if you're female you have to have women's accessories, clothing, bikes ect.

Come to think of it, it sounds like you're built more like my one sister is, very petite. She'd need a WSD bike (very narrow shoulders, short arms, torso, and legs). My other sister is a bit taller than I am (5'4"), has longer legs, long arms, longer torso. She and I also both have wider shoulders.

woe is me...we're in the same shoes. :-) From what it seems like, you're much better off looking at custom bikes.

Don't be afraid of the compact. You can get 11-28t on your cassette, with 50/34 chain rings (front), and you'll do fine. Unless if you're on steep hills all the time like I am, these should work for you. IF you feel like you want more easier gearing AND a small bike, I would take a look at Specialized Dolce Comp Triple. I saw it in the shop the last couple days, and the Top tube is really low...feels like I have about 4 to 5 inch clearance compared to 1/2 inch clearance on my current bike (I'm 4' 11 and 3/4. The 3/4 counts!!!). It's not full carbon though.

As for the roughness on the road...while you're bike shopping, I would recommend that you find better tires (if you don't want to spend money on tires that's fine), but I would highly recommend that you lower your PSI. It won't feel so rough.

When I pump up my tires, I used to go 135-140 psi (max is 145 on my tires), and it was always ROUGH. Then I got new tires, (125 max), and I would pump up my tires to 120-125..still very rough. I thought it was just me being sensitive to vibrations (I'm deaf, so anything that's tactile is 3x or more sensitive than a hearing person).

However, after talking to a cyclist friend, she told me to lower the PSI...I lowered it to 100 to the front, and 110 in the back....no more road roughness/bumpiness/vibration. It felt smooth. So try that! :-)

Kathi, it is not called a Size Cycle. I am not sure what the actual name of the machine is, but it's definitely a Guru invention. It might be the same type of thing as the Serotta system, but it has not been around very long. You have to have a specific relationship with Guru to have one and of course, have their training. The woman who did my fit is an aerospace engineer (!) who is working part time at the LBS. Of course, the LBS owner was there, too and did part of it. Here is a link: http://www.gurubikes.com/enCA/dfu/

My younger son had a Serotta when he was racing. It's not custom, but it's very pretty. It hung in the shed for a few years and we cleaned it up and gave it to our other son, who thankfully, is strong enough to ride a bike with racer's gearing. It's a classic bike now, and he always gets comments on it.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by goldfinch View Post
    Another option is Terry, which has its 44cm bikes on 650 wheels and its smaller sizes with a 24inch front and 700 back. I rode a Terry that was too big for me a while back. I found it a bit squirrely. I also find the small front large rear set up ugly. But if it was the best fit I could get past my offended aesthetics. However, it is a big production to try to get one to try. Terry has aluminum bikes and also steel in their semi-custom.
    You might contact Georgena Terry and see what she could offer, particularly if you are willing to spend up to $4k. Terry works with Waterford to build some of their bikes, and they may be able to get you a custom bike built. Georgena is very down to earth; her email is georgena@terrybicycles.com
    Bike Friday Petite Crusoe
    Terry Trixie
    Gary Fisher beater bike

You know, I don't think we have any old pictures, but maybe I can ask the DS who has it now to snap one.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

I'm 5'2" and I have a Gunnar Sport custom and a 44cm 2007 Specialized Ruby.

The Gunnar was not a custom for me so I can't comment on their custom process. I got it on ebay and it fits me pretty well. It's got about a 51cm eTT length. It has 700c wheels. Stock Gunnar Sport frames in that size range have 650c wheels. It's quite a nice riding bike.

The Ruby is a bit shorter, 49.something eTT.

I have a 42cm LHT also. I used to ride a 42cm Pacer. Even though they have different wheel sizes they are both about the same eTT and standover. So if one fits you the other will too. The Pacer is not a light fast road bike but it's comfortable and bombproof.

A friend of mine is shorter than I am and she rides a tiny Lemond Big Sky road bike. It's an aluminum frame with carbon fork, 700c wheels. I'm not sure of the measurements of this bike but it seems to fit her pretty well. She had a Retul fit done last year and her fit checked out ok. She could probably benefit from a custom frame but she keeps riding the Lemond. She has done Ride The Rockies several times with it.
    Specialized Ruby
    Gunnar Sport
    Salsa Vaya Ti
    Novara Randonee x2
    Motobecane Fantom CXX (Surly Crosscheck)
    Jamis Dragon

EDIT ADD: OK, I went back and found your SO height and compared it to the geo, it might be just a hair too big, drats. However, remember our "cycling inseam" is different than our pants inseam. A good fitter should get it right. Oh well, maybe some other comments of help to consider below...

I don't know if this would fit, but Orbea makes a 47cm carbon roadie with geo close to what you need for TT, forgetting the SO mentioned earlier, atm.

http://www.orbea.com/us-us/bicis/mod...macion_tecnica

I'm 5"4 1/2 5" ish depending how tall I stretch up my neck, I'm shrinking I told the gyn doc last time I got on the measuring scale thingy.

My torso is very long, and I have short legs. I love my Orbea!

I have degenerative disk disease and arthritis in my neck-spine etc. & other stuff blab blab blab... will stop the medical woes list there. One reason I bought the bike from my aluminum frame bike was to help soak up the road, vs my body doing so. Oh, love the carbon for that.

With the skinny road tires you will feel the road more compared to your hybrid. Like on your test ride you mentioned early on. However, there are many tweeks to help with that. I.e. having slightly wider road tires, tire pressure, carbon bars... and even stiffness of the carbon frame.

My Orbea Onix Dama is considered to be more of a "plush" carbon, vs a race carbon. It's heavy-ish for a carbon. On the shop scales it was 18#s+ with Ultergra and the Reynolds stock wheels. It's still very responsive, but probably not as snappy as the stiffer pound lighter framed bike. But that extra plush or give helps soak up the road for our bodies.

Just something else to throw out there. Cervelo made a 48cm with 650s but don't know if that would be too big or not. Good Luck!
    Last edited by Miranda; 09-01-2011 at 07:22 PM.

Miranda, it looks too big as the standover is too much for me.

Current plans:
    --contact G. Terry to discuss options with a custom Terry/Waterford
    --go to Duluth bike shop and discuss Gunnar.
    --check out Now Bike and Fitness in St. Paul, they suggest a 44cm Jamis Endura might work and they also do custom from several different builders, including Waterford.
    --try out the 2011 43cm Trek Madone I tracked down at Penn Cycle in the twin cities (and the Lexa if I can track one down).
    -- I need to call around some more shops in the cities before I go to see what is available in smaller sizes. I'd like to try to track down a Petite Felt and a 44cm Specialized Ruby and maybe Dolce. The Ruby and Dolce should be easier to find. I did find a 44cm 2011 Women's Ruby Comp at the shop where I bought the Quick. I can try it out when I am down there, but I am not thrilled with buying from them.
    Last edited by goldfinch; 09-02-2011 at 04:33 AM.

G. Terry doesn't own Terry Bikes any longer...I forget who she sold it to.

You might also want to consider a Waterford/Gunnar. Waterford uses the same steel tubing as their Waterfords, you just pay separately for the aesthetic bells and whistles as opposed to having them included in the price. Gunnars are great quality and are less expensive than many custom bikes for that reason. I had a fantastic experience building my Gunnar, it is a full custom bike, but of course they also have stock sizes and designs.

For your budget, go custom: Serotta would be a great option.

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    Vermont Teddy Bears I think I don't know if she still designs/builds the bikes or if she's kicking back, riding and enjoying the check . Check their forum, people list used Terrys there. If you know your size/specs you may find one for sale.

+1 on Waterford/Gunnar. Knot has a Waterford she bought used right here on TE. It's a beautiful bike.

I would consider a Rivendel for custom. Yes, I know, I know, they are mostly tour/city bikes. But Rivs can be fast. I think Veronica here on our board has a Riv or two. And I know they are comfortable with the right fit.

Subliminal hint/vote .... custom steel
    Last edited by Trek420; 09-02-2011 at 06:35 AM.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Quote Originally Posted by WindingRoad View Post
    For your budget, go custom: Serotta would be a great option.
    +1. I love my Serotta.

Goldfinch, I keep thinking about you comment about short arms. I, too, have short arms and found that it is very important that you're fitter recognize this. Head tube length will be very important to you. I don't think there is a stock frame that would have met my needs, thus the custom Serotta.

When I bought the Aegis is was to be my dream bike but it didn't fit. At the time I trusted this LBS, the "fitter" was well known in the area and trusted as the best bike fitter, but he was used to working with men and average sized women, not small ones like me and he eyeballed bike fit. My major problem was my handlebars were 4 cm too low, he missed the short arm issue. The bike shop had cut the steerer tube on the fork so I had to buy a new fork. With a new fork and lots of spacers I had better fit but the bike doesn't handle well. My custom Serotta has a much longer head tube, therefore, I have better fit and much better handling. When I return from my bike ride I will post pictures of the before and after changes on the Aegis and the custom Serotta.

My advice to you is find a very good bike fitter who understands your needs and one you can trust. Don't worry about size, brand or frame materials at this point, the right frame will surface once you learn what your needs are. This will only come about with a very good bike fitting by a knowledgeable bike fitter.

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    Georgena sold a majority share in the company, but she still works for the company.
    Bike Friday Petite Crusoe
    Terry Trixie
    Gary Fisher beater bike

Kathi, what you describe is pretty much the difference between my Kuota (48 cm men's bike, with short reach brifters and short and shallow bars) and the Guru I am getting custom. My steerer tube is cut off so much, there's like none. The bike is twitchy, which is not good for someone like me. But, it fits other than that and I am not getting rid of it. After I get the Guru, the shop is going to try and help me more with the fit of the Kuota... this has been a 5 year saga. For what I paid for it, I could have got a custom bike.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Quote Originally Posted by Kathi View Post
    +1. I love my Serotta.

Goldfinch, I keep thinking about you comment about short arms. I, too, have short arms and found that it is very important that you're fitter recognize this. Head tube length will be very important to you. I don't think there is a stock frame that would have met my needs, thus the custom Serotta.

When I bought the Aegis is was to be my dream bike but it didn't fit. At the time I trusted this LBS, the "fitter" was well known in the area and trusted as the best bike fitter, but he was used to working with men and average sized women, not small ones like me and he eyeballed bike fit. My major problem was my handlebars were 4 cm too low, he missed the short arm issue. The bike shop had cut the steerer tube on the fork so I had to buy a new fork. With a new fork and lots of spacers I had better fit but the bike doesn't handle well. My custom Serotta has a much longer head tube, therefore, I have better fit and much better handling. When I return from my bike ride I will post pictures of the before and after changes on the Aegis and the custom Serotta.

My advice to you is find a very good bike fitter who understands your needs and one you can trust. Don't worry about size, brand or frame materials at this point, the right frame will surface once you learn what your needs are. This will only come about with a very good bike fitting by a knowledgeable bike fitter.
    Please, post pictures. And thanks for your thoughts.