Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Koronin View Post
    Just to let you know the 44cm Specialized is the equivalent of the Trek 47cm.

I'm 5'0" and currently ride a 47cm Trek 2000 men's bike. I've also looked at different bikes and from what I've seen many companies do not make small enough bikes for shorter people in general. When I do get a new bike I'm planning on getting a Trek Madone in whichever version comes in a men's 47cm.
    Interesting that this bike fits, though I see that the 44cm Ruby is of similar size. Did you also try smaller Treks? Unfortunately, they make the 43 cm in only two models. Why the men's version? I have very narrow shoulders and need proportionately narrow handlebars. I even had those on my Quick cut down.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffany_S View Post
    I second this! I started out on a Fuji and went to a Ruby as well. I'm 5' with short arms.

It looks like a fairly wide range in bike sizes and a number of you use bikes that will take 700 wheels. So, I won't foreclose trying more of them out.
    Last edited by goldfinch; 08-31-2011 at 05:20 AM.

Can anyone else speak to the issue of a compact double, which seems to be standard on the carbon fiber bikes I mentioned? As a relatively weak cyclist that spends at least 1/4 of the year in hilly areas, I want to make sure I have low enough gears. Even the Synapse I tried with the triple was not geared low enough for me. I test rode it in Duluth, Minnesota, a city built on a steep hill. I managed to go up hill two blocks before bailing. I then rode parallel to the hill, but that street goes up as well. I could do it in first gear for the mile or two I rode. Needless to say, it flew down the hills.

I've been riding since spring and this past month put 300 miles on my bike. The prior month 220 and the month before 150, so I am increasing my mileage steadily but I still have a long ways to go to get stronger.

I would think with the requirements you have set out, a custom bike would be best for you. And $4k should be enough for a custom bike. You could pay more, of course. Keep test riding road bikes to find out what you do and don't like. It also a good way to find a shop that fits you, too.

Quote Originally Posted by goldfinch View Post
    Can anyone else speak to the issue of a compact double, which seems to be standard on the carbon fiber bikes I mentioned? As a relatively weak cyclist that spends at least 1/4 of the year in hilly areas, I want to make sure I have low enough gears. Even the Synapse I tried with the triple was not geared low enough for me. I test rode it in Duluth, Minnesota, a city built on a steep hill. I managed to go up hill two blocks before bailing. I then rode parallel to the hill, but that street goes up as well. I could do it in first gear for the mile or two I rode. Needless to say, it flew down the hills.

I've been riding since spring and this past month put 300 miles on my bike. The prior month 220 and the month before 150, so I am increasing my mileage steadily but I still have a long ways to go to get stronger.
    You can also look at the cassette which you can get in different teeth sets. But in the end as someone else pointed out, you'd probably be farther ahead having a bike built for you. That way you get it built the way you want. 4k is plenty of money for that.
    2009 Fuji Finest RC - Dark Blue.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippinalong View Post
    You can also look at the cassette which you can get in different teeth sets. But in the end as someone else pointed out, you'd probably be farther ahead having a bike built for you. That way you get it built the way you want. 4k is plenty of money for that.
    I spent less than that on my full custom Gunnar, but of course some custom builders charge more than that. I don't know how the drive-train price point might change for a true road bike as my Gunnar is pretty much pure mountain outside of the custom road fork. One thing is sure, especially for us shorter women or those with physical limitations, custom is indeed the best way to get what fits us. Is it the only option? No...but if you are working with a fitter who knows his or her stuff and a reputable company like Waterford/Gunnar or others it is a way to assure it fits.

Of course the proof is in the pudding, and sometimes a custom bike doesn't mesh, but I would hope that is a rare occurrence. I've had a good experience going custom, and should any of my current bikes explode I would consider doing it again.

Oh my gosh, I would totally consider a custom bike, or a semi Custom bike. There are some fantastic frame builders out there and you would have the perfect bike for you. We attend the National Association of Handmade Bicycle show, it was in Austin this year and Sacramento in 2012. We were next to Yipsan at the 2011 show, both he and his wife are on the shorter side and the bikes were amazing. Ellis was another builder we liked.
    Do a bit of research, make some phone calls and I think you will be please.
    Life is short!! (no pun intended)
    I ride a Rivendell and they will also work with you to get the bike that is right for you. Grant was the designer for Bridgestone and most of his bikes are mfg by waterford.
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

I am getting a Guru, custom titanium bike with a compact double and an XT mountain derailleur on the back cassette. It will have one more lower gear than my carbon triple. I just had the fitting and it was extensive.
    My friend has the Specialized Ruby with the SRAM Apex compact double, which is a similar set up to what I am getting with Shimano on the Guru. She is not a particularly strong rider, is around your age and gets up all the hills I ride with her. She has more low gears than I have on my triple with the 11-27. I chose not to go the SRAM route on my new bike because I don't want to have to go back and forth between systems (I am not good with mechanical changes!).
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Oh I am jealous. I am glad to hear about your positive experience with steel.
    Since I was training for a big event and between bikes Chris loaned me one of his shop bikes I got to ride one of these for months:

http://dellasanta.com/

Steel, made in USA .... I love my bike and will never look at another bike but was tempted to get one.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

If you are coming to Minneapolis, check out The Hub on Minnehaha. I've heard a couple times that it is a good place for shorter women to get bikes because they actually employ a short woman there. Also, check out Minneapolis Bike Love, the forum should give you some other ideas of which shops have smaller bikes so you can test ride a few. http://www.mplsbikelove.com/forum/

What is a guru and a guru fitting?
    EDIT: Nevermind. Google is my friend.

kcmpls, thanks for the tips on the local shop and forum.

Everyone is so helpful! I will poke around on the custom side a lot more and check out all of your links.
    Last edited by goldfinch; 08-31-2011 at 03:37 PM.

Guru is a brand. They are made in Montreal. You can buy ready made frames or custom bikes from them. There are only a few shops int he US that have the Guru fitting machine. It is a bike simulator that can be made to change every aspect of the fit. You pedal as it is hooked up to a computer and they look at your output as different things on the bike are tweaked. My shop started with the numbers from my present bike and tweaked it from there. He thought I would like a more upright position, but no, that went out the window right away... just moving one thing a little made a huge difference. When this is done, they send you the specs and once you approve it, it gets sent to Guru and they build the frame.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    I am getting a Guru, custom titanium bike with a compact double and an XT mountain derailleur on the back cassette. It will have one more lower gear than my carbon triple. I just had the fitting and it was extensive.
    My friend has the Specialized Ruby with the SRAM Apex compact double, which is a similar set up to what I am getting with Shimano on the Guru. She is not a particularly strong rider, is around your age and gets up all the hills I ride with her. She has more low gears than I have on my triple with the 11-27. I chose not to go the SRAM route on my new bike because I don't want to have to go back and forth between systems (I am not good with mechanical changes!).
    It looks like I don't have to be too afraid of the compact double. Thanks. I also am poking around on the Guru site.

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    Guru is a brand. They are made in Montreal. You can buy ready made frames or custom bikes from them. There are only a few shops int he US that have the Guru fitting machine. It is a bike simulator that can be made to change every aspect of the fit. You pedal as it is hooked up to a computer and they look at your output as different things on the bike are tweaked. My shop started with the numbers from my present bike and tweaked it from there. He thought I would like a more upright position, but no, that went out the window right away... just moving one thing a little made a huge difference. When this is done, they send you the specs and once you approve it, it gets sent to Guru and they build the frame.
    I didn't see anything on the Guru website about developing a SizeCycle. Are you sure you're not talking about the Serotta SizeCycle?

From Serotta's website. "Serotta invented the SizeCycle (1979), the first infinitely adjustable stationary bicycle so that a cyclist could be moved through a complete range of positions for accurate assessment of riding style, flexibility, power and aerodynamics".

Many LBS's have this SizeCycle, they don't always sell Serotta bikes but the fitter must be trained by Serotta to purchase it.

Interesting that this bike fits, though I see that the 44cm Ruby is of similar size. Did you also try smaller Treks? Unfortunately, they make the 43 cm in only two models. Why the men's version? I have very narrow shoulders and need proportionately narrow handlebars. I even had those on my Quick cut down.

It looks like a fairly wide range in bike sizes and a number of you use bikes that will take 700 wheels. So, I won't foreclose trying more of them out.
    The bike I bought was a used bike and they didn't have anything smaller. I tried it, just enough clearance for standover height and with some minor adjustments (had to buy a conversion thing for the handlebars and a new saddle) got it to fit great. I have short legs with a longer torso and arms. The reason for the men's version are two fold, one I much prefer the colors of the men's bikes and pretty much hate the colors of most of the WSD bikes. The other thing is the top tube on the men's bikes are just enough longer that it feels better. I have not tried the smaller bikes and have no interest in trying them either. The 47cm bikes come with 700cm wheels the 43s are 650s. My current bike is 650 wheels. My next one is going to have 700 wheels. Also my wanting the men's version is why I will not be buying the bike locally and will most likely be driving either 2 hrs or 5 hrs to get my new bike. (I know the LBS back in Charlotte will work with me, the one in Raleigh we think will, but haven't really dealt with them. Oh that's the one downtown, the other one I have no interest in ever going to again.)
    My current bike with some minor adjustments made there felt great as soon as I tried it. Then we did the other adjustments later to get it even better. It has men's handlebars which are just fine with me. When I tried the Lexa, I felt a bit scrunched up on the bike, not stretched out enough as far as top tube length goes and the handlebars were too narrow and small.

Quote Originally Posted by Koronin View Post
    The bike I bought was a used bike and they didn't have anything smaller. I tried it, just enough clearance for standover height and with some minor adjustments (had to buy a conversion thing for the handlebars and a new saddle) got it to fit great. I have short legs with a longer torso and arms. The reason for the men's version are two fold, one I much prefer the colors of the men's bikes and pretty much hate the colors of most of the WSD bikes. The other thing is the top tube on the men's bikes are just enough longer that it feels better. I have not tried the smaller bikes and have no interest in trying them either. The 47cm bikes come with 700cm wheels the 43s are 650s. My current bike is 650 wheels. My next one is going to have 700 wheels. Also my wanting the men's version is why I will not be buying the bike locally and will most likely be driving either 2 hrs or 5 hrs to get my new bike. (I know the LBS back in Charlotte will work with me, the one in Raleigh we think will, but haven't really dealt with them. Oh that's the one downtown, the other one I have no interest in ever going to again.)
    My current bike with some minor adjustments made there felt great as soon as I tried it. Then we did the other adjustments later to get it even better. It has men's handlebars which are just fine with me. When I tried the Lexa, I felt a bit scrunched up on the bike, not stretched out enough as far as top tube length goes and the handlebars were too narrow and small.
    We must be built quite differently even though you are only a little taller than I am. I need the shorter reach. But I know my arms are very short. Even on petite clothes I end up shortening my sleeves. I also have very narrow shoulders and am uncomfortable on wide handlebars.

Given individual differences it is amazing anyone gets comfortable on a bike. No wonder we end up with fitters to tweak everything.