Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mother of the Year Award goes to...

To disable ads, please log-in.

...the woman who just rode by my house sans helmet, with her baby in a hiking baby pack. Baby (<1 year, I'd guess) also sans helmet.

Gah, I hate seeing stuff like that. Totally makes me sick to my stomach to think of what could happen if she fell or a car pulled-out in front of her.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    oh good gravy!!! I mean, maybe it's the only transportation she has but at least put a helmet on both of you... sigh....
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    Hmm. I don't have kids, but aren't people required by law to put a helmet on a baby's or child's head? At least in some states?
    I'm guessing not here in MI, since helmets are rare.

Oh, and it's starting to get dark and she had no lights of any sort, so she'd likely not be terribly visible to cars, either.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

Quote Originally Posted by Tri Girl View Post
    oh good gravy!!! I mean, maybe it's the only transportation she has but at least put a helmet on both of you... sigh....
    Right. Common sense isn't.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

If I'd been outside I would have yelled at her and had her stop so that I could give her my son's outgrown helmet.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    She probably would not have taken it. Most people don't like the insinuation that they are doing something wrong. I've found.
    True, unfortunately.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

Is it bad if the first thought that popped into my head was, "natural selection"?

Quote Originally Posted by westtexas View Post
    Is it bad if the first thought that popped into my head was, "natural selection"?
    Yeah...I had all but one class necessary for a minor in Anthro. That thought had come to my mind, as well.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

Things like this make me super sad that I'm all for preserving the right to breed.
    Less than a month left until my first group ride! Raising money for Cystic Fibrosis.
    https://www.cff.org/LWC/dsp_Donation...?idEvent=16859

This drives me nuts on the trail. I don't think Ohio requires that children wear helmets (but then, this isn't something I pay much attention to, seeing as I don't have children). Several of the communities around me, though, do have helmet laws. And yet I still see people and their children with no helmets in sight. At least put a helmet on the kid!
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Today I was riding saw a bike on the other side of a busy road young child in seat in front of mom helmet on,mom had no helmet,2 kids in trailer being pulled behind no helmets. I guess if they crash one of them will be ok. No helmet= a huge pet peeve!I. Have been known to say something on occasion but usually get blank looks.
    I like bikes, sometimes more than my husband

I had a cringe moment on my run this morning, along these lines. I was coming through downtown, and stopped at a very busy intersection as the light had just turned yellow. Then a mother and son (maybe 7-9 years old) went flying by, even though the light turned red just as they entered the intersection. The confounding thing is that they were both wearing helmets, both had lights on their bikes, and they still were being recklessly stupid. This was at about 7:30 am, the start of morning rush hour, and visiblity wasn't that great so soon after dawn. What were they thinking????

Doesn't it just start the blood to rise. I am going to do a blog post about helmet position as well. I see people who have a helmet on the head but positioned so crazy it won't do squat if they go down. A decent Helmets is so inexpensive and a certified kids helmets can be purchased at Walmart
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

I don't understand people who wear helmets but don't buckle them. If they go flying, the helmet will just go flying off!

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

I know my children's helmets are certified and from Wal-mart, well at least two of the three are from there. The other was given to us by the county's health department. Here, in Florida, children ARE required to wear helmets, but you still see lots of children without them. If fact, I've seen a one year old girl sitting in front of her dad with his one arm around her, other driving the bike, going through the neighborhood. And I know they have a helmet because I gave the mother one we'd outgrown and she was thrilled to have it.

I don't know what makes me cringe more about the woman and child you saw. The lack of lights (something I don't have, I did, but they got broke), the lack of helmet, or the hiking backpack instead of a bike attached child seat or trailer. I can't imagine the stability issues, etc, the hiking child backpack would give on the bike.

I took my 4 year old to school on my bike this morning. We both wore our helmets. My boys know that they have to wear them to ride. Wish I could get their father to wear his too.