Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Laurel Hill Park

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalidurga View Post
    Ah, the prison is exactly the part I'd like to see. Would definitely bring my camera for that.

Better today, thanks. I've gone from walking like a two-bottle wino to just feeling a bit tipsy.
    LOL, I knew you'd love seeing the prison ... you seem to like things that are on the edgier side. :-)

Glad to hear that you're feeling better, too. You've gotta join us next time.
    Specialized Ruby/Selle Italia Flow
    1991 Specialized Sirrus, steel frame
    Dahon Eco C7
    Surly Long Haul Trucker/Terry Fly RS
    Trident TWIG Recumbent

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Geez, DB. We'll have to keep you confined to Cedarville. Flat. Wide. No drop offs! "A bike ride through the woods" vs. "Mountain biking" - right?
    Glad you aren't worse off.

Sorry I missed the adventure - and missed the chance to see pix from KD of the prison...feel better! Where is Laurel Hill, anyway? I presume this prison is no longer open??

Did a bit of off road adventuring with DH and my sister in CT on my commuter. That was a trick...especially on the section of trail where the water came up to the bottom bracket!
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

Quote Originally Posted by 7rider View Post
    Where is Laurel Hill, anyway? I presume this prison is no longer open??

Did a bit of off road adventuring with DH and my sister in CT on my commuter. That was a trick...especially on the section of trail where the water came up to the bottom bracket!
    Laurel Hill was recommended to us by Cataboo. It's really a lot of fun to ride around and seems to have a nice variety of trails. It's in Lorton, VA right on the old prison grounds. The prison is no longer in operation (thank goodness). It was very creepy standing outside the guard tower and front gate of 'The Big House.'

So the water was up to your bottom bracket, eh? Yikes! Be sure to lube.
    Specialized Ruby/Selle Italia Flow
    1991 Specialized Sirrus, steel frame
    Dahon Eco C7
    Surly Long Haul Trucker/Terry Fly RS
    Trident TWIG Recumbent

Quote Originally Posted by 7rider View Post
    Geez, DB. We'll have to keep you confined to Cedarville. Flat. Wide. No drop offs! "A bike ride through the woods" vs. "Mountain biking" - right?
    Glad you aren't worse off.

Sorry I missed the adventure - and missed the chance to see pix from KD of the prison...feel better! Where is Laurel Hill, anyway? I presume this prison is no longer open??

I don't want to give up on Rosaryville, but Cedarville is definitely more up my alley.
    2007 Rivendell Glorius/Trico gel with cutout (not made any more apparently)
    2005 Specialized Sequoia Comp/Specialized Dolce
    2006 Kona Cinder Cone/another Trico gel
    1986? Bridgestone mixte/Brooks B72
    1991 Bridgestone 300 Xtracycle/Terry Gelissimo

Sorry if I led you guys astray! Kathy said you guys were talking about a multisport day, and laurel hills is right next to the Occoquan - so popping on the reservoir or over to Mason neck would have been much closer than you guys driving from Rosaryville to the closest body of water to paddle.

I find laurel hills a lot of fun... There's almost no obstacles and the paths are maintained really well. I'd say it's far easier than Schaeffer farms. The caveat is that with no obstacles & good trails, it's very easy to pick up speed on the single track at Laurel Hills... So you find yourself going around tight corners or switchbacks faster than you'd do it if you were gingerly mountain biking looking for obstacles. For me, that's good training, because I really need to work on my tight corners & descending.

Sorry I wasn't along to show you guys around. The first time I went, I lucked out that there was another biker at the giles meadow parking lot and he told me how to get to the trails. i tried to describe for Kathy how to get to them and sent her a link to a map of the loops before you go. There's a trail map posted right after you cross the road after taking the left to get off the CCT. I generally take a picture of that to refer to later when I go.

How hard is it to maintain a trail that's 6 inches wide???
    2007 Rivendell Glorius/Trico gel with cutout (not made any more apparently)
    2005 Specialized Sequoia Comp/Specialized Dolce
    2006 Kona Cinder Cone/another Trico gel
    1986? Bridgestone mixte/Brooks B72
    1991 Bridgestone 300 Xtracycle/Terry Gelissimo

Quote Originally Posted by Cataboo View Post
    Sorry if I led you guys astray! Kathy said you guys were talking about a multisport day, and laurel hills is right next to the Occoquan - so popping on the reservoir or over to Mason neck would have been much closer than you guys driving from Rosaryville to the closest body of water to paddle.
    Actually, it's a hop, skip, and a jump from Rosaryville to Jug Bay and Patuxent River Park.

All this rain needs to go away. I haven't been on my bike in weeks and the more I come back to this thread, the more annoyed I am that I missed this ride with DB and KM. Bah.
    "How about if we all just try to follow these very simple rules of the road? Drive like the person ahead on the bike is your son/daughter. Ride like the cars are ambulances carrying your loved ones to the emergency room. This should cover everything, unless you are a complete sociopath."
    David Desautels, in a letter to velonews.com

Random babblings and some stuff to look at.

huh. for some reason, I always thought it was in western md.