Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: T.I. Swim

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'd like to know more. Can you do that program while keeping the TI principles? For example after TI I'm not interested in kickboards ever.
    2009 Trek 7.2FX WSD, brooks Champion Flyer S, commuter bike

Hi! Sorry for the late response, but this month is going to be crazy for me.

I tried out the first week and I'm fairly happy with how their videos and their explanations of exactly how the drills help you swim better. In addition, the first week focused on "imprinting" body position in the water and the drill definitely clicked for me. (Since I remember the importance of imprinting from TI).

As for kicking, there was a kick portion in the warmup, but I'm sure you can skip that. I believe it says somewhere on the webpage that you should learn correct kick rhythm, whether it's a 2 beat, 4 beat, or 6 beat kick. From what I understand, Total Immersion is almost a 2 beat kick, where you use the kick to generate body torque; however, it is more of an afterthought. The second week of drills for Finding Freestyle look like it's focused on accurate timing of those kicks so you get the most out of the torque. I don't think you need a kickboard for the second week. Hope this helps.
    2011 Specialized Crux, aka (Toxic Honey)
    I'm faster in kilometers!

I am absolutely a T.I. fan. I had swim lessons as a kid, but never really got very good at swimming. When I was forced to take it up as an adult, due to car accident injuries, I was as bad at it as ever. Lessons didn't help, they were just "workouts" in a different form. I was still doing 35-40 strokes per 25 meters in almost a minute even after three separate sets of lessons.
    When I found the first T.I. book, it was a revelation. Balancing in the water so as not to have to kick frantically made so much sense. I worked with that book on my own for a year or two and got down to 25-28 strokes per length and 35-40 seconds per length. Then I found a local T.I. coach and took his eight week class (basically, a weekend workshop stretched out to allow for absorbing the drills and techniques). At first I was disappointed that the class didn't seem to bring as much improvement as I'd hoped, but a few months later it suddenly "clicked". I think the brain needs time to process new body skills, perhaps more for some people than others.
    For a while I was averaging 19-21 strokes and 32 seconds per length, but since moving to a city where it isn't as easy to get to a pool, have regressed a bit.
    I don't agree that T.I. isn't suitable for going fast. It looks deceptively slow, what with the low stroke count. Time and time again, I've been swimming away at an easy pace, and someone half my age has pushed off the wall and tried to "race" the apparently slow fat old lady, only to discover that they can't keep up, even windmilling their arms at twice the stroke rate.
    Queen of the sea beasts