Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Question about freewheels, cogs and flip flop hubs

To disable ads, please log-in.

Okay y'all, late night question while doing research for you. I'm currently rebuilding an old Schwinn bicycle into a single speed (mostly for the learning experience) and there are so many words being thrown around I am starting to get confused. I have read Sheldon Brown about 50 times and still I have no idea what I am doing.

Here is what I have - a rear wheel with a flip flop hub, a 16 tooth cog and a lock ring.

After watching some YouTube videos, it seems to me that these are the appropriate parts for building a fixie (no thanks!) but that for a single speed bicycle I need something called a "freewheel". I am assuming that if I put the cog and lockring on the non-fixed side (the side without the "stepped" threads) that this will not allow the wheel to turn while coasting (not sure if it's even possible to put these two things on the non-fixed side).

So, the question is - do I need this thing called a freewheel? And if so, do you have any recommendations for good ones? The wheels are EighthInch Amelia wheels if that makes any difference (doubtful).

(I haven't even started on the crank/bottom bracket yet, so there will probably be more questions later).

Thanks in advance!!

Isn't the freewheel aspect pretty much covered by the flip-flop hub itself? I kind of assumed it was built in.

(Mind you, I didn't build the ss/fixie flip-flop sitting here in my living room; but I've always assumed the freewheel mechanism was the "flip" part of the "flip-flop" hub. Which makes it possible to switch from ss to fixie so simply. But I am a fountain of ignorance and have never flopped it.)

Surly has some nice info: http://surlybikes.com/blog/spew/spew...d_drivetrains/ You can also call them and ask for help.

Looking at mine, I see a cog in all its nekkid glory glommed onto the hub with nothing else ('cept the lockring). It's on the freewheeling side. The fixie side is bare.
    Last edited by KnottedYet; 08-28-2011 at 07:52 PM.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

A flip-flop hub is, indeed, fixed on one side and free on the other. You should be able to put your cog of choice on the free side...and the lockring back in your parts pile.
    2009 BMC Road Racer SL 01 / Specialized Ruby 155
    2007 LeMond Reno / Luna Chix Team Saddle
    1980-something Lotus Odyssey / Brooks Finesse
    1992 Bridgestone RB-2 / Brooks B-17 Imperial
    Nada Bike singlespeed / Brooks Team Pro in white

Quote Originally Posted by KnottedYet View Post
    Isn't the freewheel aspect pretty much covered by the flip-flop hub itself? I kind of assumed it was built in.
    If the hub was like a modern freehub, then yes the freewheel aspect would be built in. However, that's not the case.

Both sides of the flip flop hub accept thread-on parts - the fixed gear and reverse threaded lock ring on one side, and a freewheel on the other.

These days, there isn't much choice when it comes to single speed freewheels. You probably have to take whatever brand your LBS has. Be aware that there are at least two thread standards: the regular one, and a smaller one that is generally for BMX bikes.

I just looked at a QBP (major bike parts distributor) catalog. You have three brands to choose from: ACS, Dicta, and Shimano. With ACS and Shimano, you have a choice of a brown finish or a chromed finish, and of compatibility with single speed or multi speed chains. Dicta's come in brown and use 3/32" multi speed chain.
    Last edited by laura*; 08-28-2011 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Added QBP info

Quote Originally Posted by laura* View Post
    If the hub was like a modern freehub, then yes the freewheel aspect would be built in. However, that's not the case.
    Well, the wheels are brand new, and therefore should be a modern freehub, I am hoping. Only the frame is from the 1970s.

I'm just afraid to stick the cog on the free side and go for a spin and end up crashing, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by KnottedYet View Post
    (Mind you, I didn't build the ss/fixie flip-flop sitting here in my living room; but I've always assumed the freewheel mechanism was the "flip" part of the "flip-flop" hub. Which makes it possible to switch from ss to fixie so simply.
    Yes it does. But I've been instructed by Chris at Robinson Wheelworks (hi Chirs!) who built the bike not to flip the flip flop.

Mixte's have a lower center of gravity/bottom bracket making it perilous. If you turn your fixie mixte and just happen to have the inside crank heading down at the apex of the turn So don't flip the flip flop.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0821111021-00-1.jpg 
Views:	281 
Size:	57.1 KB 
ID:	13648  
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Quote Originally Posted by westtexas View Post
    Well, the wheels are brand new, and therefore should be a modern freehub, I am hoping.
    Some online research implies that your wheelset uses relabeled "Formula" brand hubs. Their flip flop hubs have threads at both ends and no built in freewheel mechanism. A track (fixie) cog and a lockring go on the end with a small step in the threading. A single speed freewheel goes on the other end.

(I'd've posted a link, but couldn't find a definitive link to Formula products!)

It isn't a big deal 'cause single speed freewheels are cheap!

Thanks Laura! I went to the LBS yesterday and had the guy explain it to me too in very small words with lots of drawings and his own fixie. After fiddling around with the cog at home, I realized it may be a "flip flop" hub but it's not got a built in freewheel. But you are right, it's a cheap part, so no biggy. Went ahead and ordered all the other stuff I needed too while I was at it. Hopefully I can get this thing together soon enough!

Thanks a million

Quote Originally Posted by Trek420 View Post
    Mixte's have a lower center of gravity/bottom bracket making it perilous. If you turn your fixie mixte and just happen to have the inside crank heading down at the apex of the turn
    [hijack] That's not exclusive to mixtes or fixies. A lot of factors play into your maximum lean angle with the inside pedal down ... BB height is one, but wheelbase and crankarm length are in there too, and so is the width of your pedal and even your foot. Once you're down there, it doesn't matter whether your hub freewheels or not, because bici pedals don't fold up the way motorcycle footpegs do.

This is how I wound up five feet in the air, upside down and jackknifed front-to-back, heading for the ground head first, 24 years ago last month ... Thank you Kiwi helmet.

The lesson is, inside pedal UP. That's the only way you can get your OUTSIDE pedal down anyway, to use your outside leg as a shock absorber to keep traction in your rear tire.

[/hijack]
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 08-30-2011 at 04:46 AM.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler