Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Knee soreness and pedaling technique

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm wondering if pedaling technique can cause sore knees. My knees have been sore the past two weeks. I think honestly I pushed myself too much 2 weeks ago when I tagged on to a group of guys and was going along between 16-18 mph, topping out at 20. I usually don't ride that fast but I thought I challenge myself and had fun seeing the looks on their faces when they saw I was keeping up.
    Anyway, I went biking this morning with a friend and she said I was pointing my toes down
    I've tried real hard to have good pedaling technique but I seem to be failing miserably. So I obviously need to work on that (heels down! ).
    Could this also be causing my sore knees as well?
    2009 Fuji Finest RC - Dark Blue.

if you have a trainer or access to a spin bike, try some one legged drills- they should help you even out your pedal stroke. I find my knees complain most if I am pushing in a higher gear than I should be, or if I am spinning at too lose a resistance, at which point if I am tired I tend to fling my knees around. It helps me to envision my knees driving straight forward ind concentrate on a circular motion with no jerk of pull or push at the top of bottom of the stroke.

as for toes down causing your knee pain, I don't know.

good luck on finding a solution.

marni
    marni
    Katy, Texas
    Trek Madone 6.5- "Red"
    Trek Pilot 5.2- " Bebe"

"easily outrun by a chihuahua."

Too hard a gear or having your saddle even a hair too low can really put painful stress on your knees. I wouldn't think it's the toes down thing, since I pedal like that and very rarely have sore knees--but I rarely pedal with cadence <85 or so, except up steep hills.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Some people are "built" to pedal toes down, some are "built" to pedal with more horizontal feet.

Don't try to change the way you naturally pedal.

I'd worry about the other things before worrying about the way your feet like to be.

(BTW, the fashion swings back and forth about every 15-20 years. Not too long ago everyone was trying to pedal toes down... just do what your body likes best.)
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Thanks all, I feel a bit better. You're probably right, I was doing a bit of mashing. My style is more spinning but I think I pushed myself trying to keep up with the boys.
    I think I'll give my knees a rest this week and hopefully by the weekend they'll feel better.
    Good idea on the one legged drills. I think I'll try that.
    Last edited by Zippinalong; 08-29-2011 at 04:09 AM. Reason: clarifying
    2009 Fuji Finest RC - Dark Blue.