Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Weather radio recommendations

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm in the market for a weather radio, and looking for recommendations. After browsing Amazon, I know that I want SAME reception and selectable alerts (e.g., I don't get notified for stuff hundreds of miles away or every thunderstorm that pops up). The Midland WR300 looks like a good candidate. Any feedback or other suggestions?

We already have a solar/hand crank radio for situations where the power goes out, so no worries there.

Many thanks in advance!

It seems to be easy to program the S.A.M.E. My only boohoo is the need for 4 AA was it? I think it would be better to use less number of batteries and have a low battery indicator. Otherwise, I think its very nice.

Being woken up with emergency NOAA broadcast is a nice to have and reassuring especially if you live in an area where things like tornadoes happen in middle of the night. Those broadcasts are no nonsense just the fact and very detailed.

What radio do you use, Smilingcat? The tornado thing is exactly why I'm looking.

I'm not concerned about the batteries. We rarely lose power where I live (knock wood!), and I have a hand crank radio for those situations.