Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Rollers update. :)

To disable ads, please log-in.

After staying off the rollers for over 2 weeks post initial enthusiasm, I decided to try again today. But this time, clipped-in.

It worked! In fact, it was easier than not clipping in. Part of this could be decreased anxiety over the whole roller set-up. But I rode several miles, and only fell once: When I tried to drink some water from my Camel Bak sipping tube attached to my Camel Backpack. Guess that move needs some work!

It's weird, but I don't really fall, except while drinking, apparently. (Knock wood). I stall. And end up motionless, perfectly vertical, and frozen in place! I have to make myself tilt to the left to get off.

It could be worse. Can't imagine actually drinking from a bottle. But I'll get there.
    Last edited by Muirenn; 08-28-2011 at 05:11 PM.
    So long as the wheels are still turning, life is good.

Battswebb

Pinarello Quattro~CAADX~ Zurich Lemond
    Specialized Romin Saddles

Surly Krampus!

What kind of set up do you have to keep yourself bruise free from falling off? I am going to be on rollers alllll winter and I'm a bit nervous about it!

I figure being clipped in is easier because it allows for a smoother pedal stroke than no clips. What do you think?

I might have to wear my camelbak
    Help me reach my $8,000 goal for the American Lung Association! Riding Seattle to D.C. for clean air! http://larissaridesforcleanair.org
    http://action.lungusa.org/goto/larissapowers

Setup? Just regular rollers. My balance must be a lot better than my handling skills, that's all. Never realized I could balance so well without moving. It's weird!

I did put an old yoga mat on the floor to the left of the rollers since clipping in. I use SPD-SL's, and it's a shiny, wooden floor, so I figured I'd skid if my slick cleats hit that surface.

It does seem clipping in is easier.

Drinkiing and riding are dangerous. That's the hardest part!
    Last edited by Muirenn; 08-29-2011 at 02:36 PM.

Battswebb

Surly Krampus!

By 'set up' I guess I meant whether you set up near a wall or put some pillows down! Just being elevated that little bit higher will make me nervous. Who knows though, maybe I'll be a natural!
    Help me reach my $8,000 goal for the American Lung Association! Riding Seattle to D.C. for clean air! http://larissaridesforcleanair.org

I see. Wall on my right. Yoga mat on the left. But only because the floor is slick.

I do have a ballet barre on the left as well, but don't recommend that unless the rider already has good balance at the barre. The wall is probably better.

Battswebb

Surly Krampus!

It's cool that your balance is so good. Brewer can drink on rollers; I can't yet. It took me a year to be able to shift.
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

Oh gosh, Malkin. That sounds about what it will be like for me. Although I am hoping to improve my balance with rollers. I've never been able to ride no hands-- it's like the DREAM.

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    I see. Wall on my right. Yoga mat on the left. But only because the floor is slick.

I do have a ballet barre on the left as well, but don't recommend that unless the rider already has good balance at the barre. The wall is probably better.
    Oops. I meant to say ballet barre is on the right, same side as the wall.

Think I'll go ride my rollers for a few minutes before I drive out of town for a Mammogram I go to Charleston for most of my med appointments now. The care is so much better there.

So nice to get a quick ride in when I wouldn't otherwise have time!

Battswebb

Surly Krampus!

I've just decided that being able to ride no hands has to do with the saddle. So, until I change my saddle, I just don't have to try anymore. I'll work it out if I am ever close to winning a televised race or something.
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

I did plan a road-ride this morning, but a band of dark clouds showed up after I'd already gotten dressed. Rain followed soon after. Time for a rollers ride.

Whew! Just managed to ride with a Camel BaK podium bottle vice the backpack. It took a couple of miles, but I had the bottle in the down-tube, and very shakily drank three times in a row without falling from the rollers. I did check myself on the wall (ballet barre), but I kept going. Before that I had to stop to drink, which is actually harder, in a way.

A couple of days ago, I practiced moving my hands back and forth on the handlebars. Top, hoods, drops, sides, etc. Tended to fall while going from top to drops if I took my hands completely from the bars. The other changes produced a little shakiness if I didn't do it with the right pressure during changes, but generally fine.

Rollers seem to be a mental challenge more than anything. If I specifically let go the nerves/fear/shakiness in my mind, and just let my conscious go into calm/neutral, the nerves disappear from my body for a few moments. And it works much better.

It's also nice to pinpoint exactly how to avoid a little swerve while drinking. Should help with technique on the road.

I certainly don't go as far on rollers as outside, but I do at least enjoy it.

Battswebb

Surly Krampus!

Hey Muirenn,

Do you think that if you are a person who already has pretty good balance on a bike (I can do no hands without a problem, don't wobble or stop pedaling when I grab a drink, etc.) that rollers will be easy? I'm going to get some anyway because soon enough it will be dark when I go to work and dark before I get home, and I detest riding in the dark (the cold is not a problem here, haha). I am just curious if you think that people with good balance have an easier time adapting than those who don't - such as my neighbor who has to stop her bike on the road to get a drink of water?

I'm sure you'll be fine WT It's much more doable than I thought it would be. I think the main thing for me is to be open to learning. Having no fear helps too. (Something to remind myself everytime).

Using rollers feels like the first time I learned how to do a lot of this as a child. I don't specifically remember learning how to ride without hands, for example, but I remember the process of letting go the hb's, the first shakey transition to no-hands, and the lifting ease and smile that followed. Same thing over and over again.

Oh, and it's much harder to ride with regular shoes than clipped in. Balance is much better with cleats.
    Last edited by Muirenn; 09-04-2011 at 07:49 PM.

Battswebb

Surly Krampus!

Rollers, ugh. I guess it IS that time of year again. I have a dream...that someday I won't need to be between a counter and a wall.