Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What to Wear on a Humid Ride?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm going on a bike ride today and it will be very humid, up to 78 by noon and eventually up to 89 by 4:00 pm. which is somewhat unusual for us. I plan on wearing mountain bike shorts (Fox "Townie" shorts), but was wondering whether I should wear a short sleeve loose cotton tee shirt or a technical fabric, but tight jersey (Castelli "Perla"). I know that when cotton gets wet you stay soggy, but the top is looser. Tight equates to hot in my mind.

Thanks.
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls & looks like work" - Thomas Edison

I'd use the technical fabric, since it allows for faster evaporation. There is point, though, at least for me, where nothing helps (and I'd still take a technical top over cotton). It's very humid this morning here (76 degrees, 87% humidity) and I ran 5 miles. I lost 1.76 lbs and had to wring my top... Plan to get additional water in your route. Drink, baby, drink!

Definitely no cotton. Once it gets wet (which will take about 45 seconds in humid weather), it might as well be vinyl for all it will breathe.

As loose a knit synthetic as you own. Tighter against your skin is only a problem if the fabric doesn't breathe (e.g. the cooling base layers that are meant to be just as snug as a warm base layer) - it's the distance between fibers in the fabric that you really need to be loose.

And besides the water, be sure to replace electrolytes. You will definitely need to replenish sodium, calcium and magnesium if you'll be out all day in the humidity.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Tech! For sure!

I have a mesh cycling jersey. It is THE BEST for humid weather. I love that thing.
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2012 Trek Superfly Elite AL
    2nd Sport, Pando Fall Challenge 2011 and 3rd Expert Peak2Peak 2011
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR
    Iceman 2010-6th Place AG State Games, 2010-1st Sport, Cry Baby Classic 2010-7th Expert, Blackhawk XTerra Tri 2007-3rd AG

Occasionally Updated Blog

Technical fabric, definitely.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

@limewave, mesh sounds nice. Can you see through it?

Thanks everyone. I do use Nuun electrolyte replacement in my water. We're wingin' it regarding distance and will depend on what we decide. At this moment it's only 64 degrees with 96% humidity and supposed to be humid w/ mostly sun and a few clouds. I think predicted humidity is 87%. We just aren't a humid place in the summer. Our heat is typically "dry".

Okay...Castelli it is. Man I don't like jersey sizing. I wear a small/extra small in everything else on top and I wear a Large in this jersey and you can see literally every bump and bulge! :0
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls & looks like work" - Thomas Edison

Quote Originally Posted by Velocivixen View Post
    Not as bad as I thought. There's a pretty design on it, so even though you can "see through it" you really don't see through it. It's noticeable when I wear a black sports bra underneath, but otherwise it hasn't been an issue.
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2012 Trek Superfly Elite AL
    2nd Sport, Pando Fall Challenge 2011 and 3rd Expert Peak2Peak 2011
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR
    Iceman 2010-6th Place AG State Games, 2010-1st Sport, Cry Baby Classic 2010-7th Expert, Blackhawk XTerra Tri 2007-3rd AG

Occasionally Updated Blog

Thanks everyone. I do use Nuun electrolyte replacement in my water. We're wingin' it regarding distance and will depend on what we decide. At this moment it's only 64 degrees with 96% humidity and supposed to be humid w/ mostly sun and a few clouds. I think predicted humidity is 87%. We just aren't a humid place in the summer. Our heat is typically "dry".

Okay...Castelli it is. Man I don't like jersey sizing. I wear a small/extra small in everything else on top and I wear a Large in this jersey and you can see literally every bump and bulge! :0
    Yeah, Castelli jerseys seem to be very form-fitting. I wore mine yesterday and was mistaken for a guy by a bunch of twelve-year-olds. I don't know how, considering...

Tech absolutely. Although it may seem counterintuitive, I also wear a sleeveless wicking base layer and it actually does help keep me cooler.

2001 Trek 7500 FX, converted to a hauler - Serfas
    200? Marin hybrid - Selle San Marco
    2004 Trek 5200 - Avatar
    2011 Trek 6.2 Madone - Ruby

@Owlie, sorry, but that's funny! lol Are you big busted? (don't mean to be personal). I'll say it though...I'd never be mistaken for a guy, especially from the front. I've been cursed with big b00bs.

Happy riding everyone.

up to 78 by noon and eventually up to 89 by 4:00 pm.
    That is our normal to slightly cool weather for summer. I ridden both ways and it is definitely better to go tech - even if it is a cheap Target Champion wicking top. Cotton is horrible.

@Owlie, sorry, but that's funny! lol Are you big busted? (don't mean to be personal). I'll say it though...I'd never be mistaken for a guy, especially from the front. I've been cursed with big b00bs.

Happy riding everyone.
    I'm not particularly busty, but there's enough there that makes me wonder how they made that mistake. The jersey is mostly black, which may have something to do with it. Apparently in the mind of these twelve-year-old boys, a road bike with a rider in black and red means that the rider must be male.
    /threadjack

Norsegoddess--I have a short-sleeve wicking layer, and it does almost nothing for me once the humidity levels go above a certain point. Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Owlie View Post
    Norsegoddess--I have a short-sleeve wicking layer, and it does almost nothing for me once the humidity levels go above a certain point. Interesting.
    Maybe it helps that at the same time, I usually have some booby ice tucked down the sports bra and more ice in the back center pocket. I highly recommend booby ice for hot, humid rides.

2001 Trek 7500 FX, converted to a hauler - Serfas
    200? Marin hybrid - Selle San Marco
    2004 Trek 5200 - Avatar
    2011 Trek 6.2 Madone - Ruby

I say definitely go with the technical fabric. Riding in Houston a few weekends ago was just ridiculous and I was glad to have fabric that wicked. You will still drip though, or at least I did. My poor top tube had to be washed after I rode, it was so gross.

UPDATE: I went with your advice and wore technical. It was very humid and warmer especially as we moved away from the Willamette River and the breeze slowed. Glad I wore technical. You are all so wise. Thanks.