Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Timberman 70.3 Race Report

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi All,

I did it, I completed my first HIM distance triathlon!

The race is the Timberman 70.3 in Gilford, NH

The swim is at Ellacoya State Park in Lake Winnipesauke. Its a beautiful lake, clear water no weeds. The swim was a rectangular course about .5 mile out, then parallel to the shore then back in. Since the lake is so large it tends to be a little rough but it wasnt' too bad. I am a slow swimmer and was a little worried because we were wave 3 and right after us was the 24 and under men, then the 40-44 men but my coach recommended staying slightly to the left of the bouys (5-10 yds) as the fastest swimmmers would take the most direct line and this way I wouldn't get run over. It works. I guessed on the swim I would be about 50 minutes and was 54 minutes.

The bike is a somewhat hilly course (at least the 1st 10 and last 10 miles) the middle is small rollers. There are two hills one at mile 10 and one at mile 40 which have short sections of 10-12% grade. The total climbing on the route is about 2600'. My goal for the bike was to maintain a consistant pace at about 75-80% effort (to save my legs for the run); I was targeting under 3:30 for bike and was 3:26.

The run course is two loops of an out and back course with some small rollers. My goal for the run course was to run the entire course and to finish under 2:30. I acheived both, run time was 2:22; I was also pleased that my run was fairly consistent as my splits on the run course were all within 20 sec.

My overall goal for the race was to finish under 7 hours, and I finished in 6:48!

The other highlight is that Chrissie Wellington usually runs this race, I was able to meet her at the pasta dinner on Friday Night and after finishing her race in 4:18 she hangs around at the finish line and hands out finisher medals to us age-groupers. So, I received my finisher medal from Chrissie!

Stats:
    Swim 1.2m - 54.07
    Bike 56m - 3:26:31 (16.3mph)
    Run - 2.22.12 (10.50 pace)
    Total: 6:48:52

Overall I really enjoyed it and was thrilled to acheive the goals I had set. The weather was pretty good - it was mid-60's at the start, and about 80 at the finish but very humid. Fortunately, most of the run was shaded and it was slightly overcast. The ice cold sponges are awesome!

Now I just need to figure out how to swim faster

Sharon

CONGRATS! Enjoy the post race happiness! (and food!)
    Slow and steady (like a train!)

http://kacietri-ing.blogspot.com/

That's great! Would you recommend this as a first time HIM race?

Roo,
    Yes. Lots of first timer's do this race, its a beautiful area, the race was well run. The lake is a great place to swim, the run is rolling but not hilly, the beginning and the end of the bike course are hilly but nothing terrible if you are used to riding hills. I live in Central Mass and nothing worst than what I typically ride around here.

It was my first HIM as well as 3 other of my friends and we all enjoyed it.

Sharon

Congrats, Sharon!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Awesome job, congratulations! I'm super impressed that you were so spot on in your predictions, too.

Excellent racing!
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

Nice work!! You set some achievable goals for yourself and met them. What's next?

"You can't get what you want till you know what you want." Joe Jackson

2006 Cannondale Feminine/Ultegra/Jett

2012 Trek Speed Concept 9.5/Ultegra/saddle TBD

wow- great job on achieving all your goals! And very cool that you received your medal from Chrissie, from what I have read, she seems to be a genuinely nice person.
    The cure for anything is salt water;
    sweat, tears or the sea

Isak Dinesen

Great job, Sharon. HIM is only a dream for me. I'm in awe!

Luna Eclipse/Selle Italia Lady
    Surly Pacer/Terry Butterfly
    Quintana Roo Cd01/Koobi Stratus
    1981 Schwinn Le Tour Tourist
    Jamis Coda Femme

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    Congrats, Sharon!!! That's fantastic that you made your goals and had a great time! WOO HOO!!!!
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Quote Originally Posted by spindizzy View Post
    Nice work!! You set some achievable goals for yourself and met them. What's next?
    IM Lake Placid July 2012

Thanks All!