Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: New pains!

New pains!

To disable ads, please log-in.

OK, have any of you had this before?

The last 6-7 miles my left achilles tendon started to hurt while I was cycling. Just the left one, right side was fine.

I say "achilles tendon" but it could be anything from "rear part of ankle" to just the back of my leg, down there. I assume the tendon is what it was but am not sure. It felt like it was coming from there.

Each time I dismounted, no pain. No pain as I sit here, either, in fact I decided against icing it when I got home because it didn't hurt. But when I was cycling, with each stroke, it did.

Also, my left BIG TOE hurt big time after a while of riding and it's because it was jammed up against the end of the shoe. Right foot - peachy keen. I half wonder if I'm going to lose that big toenail. I am getting the larger size shoe but I wonder if it has more to do with me jamming that foot into the stirrup - maybe more than the right side? Hard to tell.

Finally, my wrists took a beating this time. A few places there were some rough patches on the trail and the bike bottomed out and I didn't see it in time to adjust my hands and my wrists were the shock absorbers. Ouch, ouch, ouch.

This is the kind of stuff that is making me wonder if I am biting off more than I can chew with a century this fall? I'm not giving up so soon, but I went from couch and work potato in April, to regular wkd riding (But not many miles).. to bumping it up a notch in mid July and now mid/late August I am at 41 miles. I have a ways to go and for certain two weekends coming up soon with no training.

Well for starters, you can always decide to do the metric instead of the full century. You can even make the decision after you start the ride.

I've been having problems with my right Achilles tendon lately, which was caused by some sandals I've been wearing a lot. It hurts when I wear the sandals and also sometimes while riding the bike. Stretching it seems to help, but not as much as wearing different sandals.

As for toes, I have to keep all my toenails very short to avoid painful toes on long rides. They look hysterical with nail polish, like someone drew lines on my toes with a Sharpie.

BTW, I would ice the Achilles tendon.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Hi

Metric - I was thinking about that. Again, not giving up yet. Just thinking.

I feel pretty confident, today, that I could do a metric century. I'm at 41 and even with ten days off (Labor Day hols) I'll be back in the saddle adding my 5 miles each Sunday. I bet I could do 60 next Sunday if I utterly had to do so.

I don't know what 100 miles will do especially if I am getting repetitive stresses already. This isn't bad, not by half, which is why I'm not giving up.

I would feel a little "ashamed" if I talked up a century and then only did a metric one though.

I agree with the ice. I would also look into shoes that fit you better and possibly look into your shoe/pedal interface. Are you using clipless? I know that too much float or a bad cleat position can cause achilles pain. You want to keep your pedal stroke nice and smooth without side-to-side movement.

As for the century, I say dream big. Most people who do at least 70 miles with similar terrain to their century beforehand can then handle the century. But don't push yourself if you're in pain. See how your body feels and consider all of this part of the learning process-- something we all have to go through!
    Girl meets bike. Bike leads girl to a life of grime: http://mudandmanoloscycling.com/

Are you toeing down too much on that side?

Is your saddle height set more for your long leg, leaving your short leg having to ride toe-down to reach the pedal efficiently?

Is your leg-length difference more than 1/4 inch? (most people have about 1/4 inch difference between left and right legs)

Finally, my wrists took a beating this time. A few places there were some rough patches on the trail and the bike bottomed out and I didn't see it in time to adjust my hands and my wrists were the shock absorbers. Ouch, ouch, ouch.

Are you locking your elbows?
    Last edited by KnottedYet; 08-21-2011 at 05:03 PM.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Quote Originally Posted by skywalkerbeth View Post
    I would feel a little "ashamed" if I talked up a century and then only did a metric one though.
    Well you've still got time to make fixes to bike fit, riding form, whatever to it make it possible to do the the full ride. It's all part of the training.

But sometimes it just make sense to cut your losses and do the shorter distance. If you've got repetitive strain injuries, more repetition will just mean more injury. There's no shame if you realize you need to adjust your plans.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Hi

Sorry for the delay...

I may well be toeing down? As it turns out, both Achilles were tender the next day. The day after that they felt pretty normal, but, yesterday I did 20 miles. I lowered my seat almost to where it was before the guy raised it (not quite as low but darn close). I did not move it forward...

Achilles were a little tender last night. Not as bad, but given this was only a 20 mile ride (on hills), this isn't good.

I did get new shoes - one size larger - so at least the toe pain should be gone. I am in stirrups, hate clipless.

I bet I am still locking my elbows. I'm telling you, my wrists took a huge thumping on that bump. They hurt for some time...

I am going to get a Specialized custom fitting on Friday... I'm off for one week (vacation) which means I won't get to test it out for almost two weeks though...