Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steel tandems

Steel tandems

To disable ads, please log-in.

Got Co-motion on the brain, but am wondering if there are other steel tandems out there? (cheaper?)

Looking for steel frame, disc brakes, prefer 26 inch wheels.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Santana Fusion? Disc brakes are optional on all their models.

I know squat about tandems, but that was the brand that popped into my head immediately. A couple I ride with have a carbon Santana with disc brakes.

Don't know how the price compares, though.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

We looked into Santanas a bit. They are also made in USA like Co-Motion, but the comparable models to Co-Motion models run about $1,000 more.

Which is a bummer.

I'm willing to buy a non-USA made tandem if it was cheap... because I'm cheap.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Now, this is just weird?

I've seen a couple recommendations on tandem forums for the Mongoose (aluminum) or Pacific (same thing, but steel) tandems for newbie tandem teams.

$250-$350.

So cheap, it's scary. Everyone suggests having a bike shop put the tandem together and check it over carefully, but everyone who has had one says it was the right way to go for a first tandem.

26 inch wheels. RIM brakes. (we'd stay on the flats and go easy, because rim brakes on a tandem carrying nearly 400 lbs of humanity just freaks me right out)

Do ya put a couple Brooks on a Pacific Dualie? The dang saddles would cost as much as the entire bike!

I'm not kidding; right now I'm seriously considering the merits of a $250 high-ten steel tandem. And some day (if we survive the "relationship acceleration" of a tandem) getting a Co-Motion Mocha. Cheaper to buy than to rent, eh?
    Last edited by KnottedYet; 08-21-2011 at 06:23 PM.

Our Co-Motion Periscope Torpedo has paid for itself...it's allowed our family of 3 to ride together, since DS is only 10 and likes to ride, but could never keep up on a road bike...he's still a bit small for one and doesn't have the strength/endurance to ride long on his own power.

We didn't really look at any other tandem options, since we needed that periscope rear seat for the rugrat. The only other tandems I'm at all familiar with are aluminum Cannondales, but we know quite a few folks who have them and love them. Not sure how they ride, but our Co-Motion is SO smooth...but it's a beast. It's a real workout for my hubby and kid to get up hills with that thing. They FLY downhill, though.

(personally, I'm not a fan of the tandem. My hubby is nearly a foot taller than me and very broad-shouldered, so I see NOTHING in front of us. It also forces me to sit too upright, since the stoker cockpit is relatively short...and makes my neck hurt, so I haven't been on it at all this year).
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

If you're considering going cheap and not having the disc brakes, there's a Pacific Dualie on Seattle Craigslist right now for $100.
    http://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/bik/2556151550.html

And more expensive, but still pretty inexpensive as far as bikes go, there's also a Univega tandem...
    http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/bik/2547730599.html
    2009 BMC Road Racer SL 01 / Specialized Ruby 155
    2007 LeMond Reno / Luna Chix Team Saddle
    1980-something Lotus Odyssey / Brooks Finesse
    1992 Bridgestone RB-2 / Brooks B-17 Imperial
    Nada Bike singlespeed / Brooks Team Pro in white

Please, please, please don't buy a $250 tandem. It's not worth it! People who have brought these tandems have found a huge range of issues- spokes not tensioned, brakes that don't work, crummy components etc) and the weight will be terrible.

If you are really serious about buying a tandem and cannot afford new, look for a second hand one from Trek, Burley, Cannondale, Satana, Co-motion etc. The ride quality and the enjoyment you will get out a decent tandem is worth it.

All the advice I know about seen about first tandems is to go the second hand route. They tend to hold their value well for when you on sell it.

If you really want to see what a $250 tandem is like go and rent one at the local bike path/beach. $250 tandem are not worth the hassle and will put you off tandeming.

From a person who brought a second hand Trek tandem.

I think I'd really prefer a "real" tandem, with disc brakes.

Trek and KHS (and Raleigh, for that matter) have cheap tandems, but with rim brakes. Which to my mind is pretty much the same boat as the Mongoose/Pacific.

Probably Craigslist, or hanging around Recycled Cycles. They always seem to have a tandem or two. Some day one will come through the right size and with discs. (I'd even put up with aluminum if it had discs)

A Co-Motion Mocha is still my dream...
    Last edited by KnottedYet; 08-21-2011 at 08:27 PM.

My MIL and her BF scored a great deal on a used Cannondale tandem on eBay...that had a mere 75 miles on it before the couple decided they didn't like it. I think that happens a LOT.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Another vote for shopping Craigslist.

Our first tandem was pretty much wrong in every way. It was a DiamondBack, so not in the same class as the cheepies, but still ...We'd have probably just killed ourselves on one of the cheep cheepies and that would have been that.

We attempted an organized half century, that was brutally cold and windy and basically awful, had trouble getting SAGged out, and by the time the bike fell out of the back of the pick up truck, I was ready to leave it in the street and drive away.

We recovered with a second hand Burley and finally got a CoMotion which we completely love.

NUTSHELL:
    Keep your Co-Motion dreams
    Start off with something decent--so you can figure out how to ride tandem.
    Whatever you ride, make sure it fits both of you!
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

Have you looked at da Vinci at all?

http://www.davincitandems.com/

My husband and I have been riding a borrowed Burley (loaned from my mom & her BF; aluminum) but dream of a da Vinci. Mom & bf got a custom made carbon & aluminum dV earlier this year and love it. We convinced ourselves that we need disc brakes riding in the rain last weekend doing an "urban adventure ride".
    ...never met a bike that I didn't wanna ride.

Strangely we "killed" our third brake we installed that was a disc- tiotally jammed the wheel so had to SAG home.

Depends what type of brake and what brake pads a tandem has. Disc is not always best! A Trek T90 sounds like a good starter for you and has 26" wheels.

Hey, here's another thought---check the Cascade website's classifieds. I've seen used tandems for sale there too. You know we got our 91 Burley at Recycled Cycles for $350. We were very lucky. But I would hang in there looking for a used one because I agree---I think there are frequent sales of those.
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218...=tandem%20bike

You could come to SLC to check it out and we could tandem in tandem!
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

It's too big. We're both a lot shorter
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    N+1 bike ~ Brompton
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/