Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Compression Socks

To disable ads, please log-in.

I use compression tights for recovery, and they work nicely. I would some feedback on the socks as my feet are sore after hiking/riding sometimes, and I am wondering if the socks help with the feet too. I know they are designed to work on the calf area (in fact, I see guys in bike shops who are on their feet all day wearing the compression socks).

Thanks!
    Lisa

Bacchetta Ti Aero
    ICE B1
    Bacchetta Cafe Mountain Bent

I have compression socks (CEP), but, as you mention, they work on the calfs. I get achey feet, too. In addition to putting my feet up and the occasional foot bath with epsom salts, I keep a 'foot log' under my couch. It's easy to use for a few minutes every day and it works like a massage.

This 'ball' works on the same concept: http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/products/SUR103/

I actually have one pair of compression hose that really hurt my feet. They're firm compression (30-40mm) and don't have big toe pockets like my drugstore brand thigh-highs do. Great on my legs, h#ll on my feet.

My feet are way too big for my body (11EE on a 5'3" 120# frame ). So maybe if you're a little more proportionate than I am, that might not be an issue. I know some of the triathlon-branded compression socks are sized by shoe size, not height/weight like the medical and drugstore brands.

+1 on the spiky ball/stick, but working out trigger points and helping venous return are two different things...
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Another vote for the "spikey ball". I roll both of my feet EVERY single morning before I even take 1 step out of bed. I have a history of PF, so I do it more as a preventive measure...plus it just feels good and wakes up my feet.

Linda
    2012 Seven Axiom SL - Specialized Ruby SL 155

Skip the feet, compress only what you need: http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/products/ZNM100/

-- gnat! (great for long plane flights, too!)
    Windsor: 2010 S-Works Ruby
    Pantysgawn: 2011 S-Works Stumpjumper 29er
    Whiz!: 2013 S-Works Crux (Singlespeed)
    Boucheron: 2009 S-Works Tricross
    Haloumi: 2013 Tern P7i
    Kraft: 2009 Singlecross
    Gouda: 2005 Electra Betty
    Roquefort: 1974 Stella SX-73

Thanks gals! Hmmm, I am a road runner sports fan too! That VIP free shipping is great!
    Lisa

Bacchetta Ti Aero
    ICE B1
    Bacchetta Cafe Mountain Bent

Quote Originally Posted by gnat23 View Post
    Skip the feet, compress only what you need: http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/products/ZNM100/

-- gnat! (great for long plane flights, too!)
    Hmm...I like that idea of compression on a plane...or long car trips...but I think on a plane it would just make my poor little toes even colder! Anyone with freezing feet ever tried this? Maybe wearing wool socks with the compression leg sleeves might work.

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

Quote Originally Posted by jessmarimba View Post
    Hmm...I like that idea of compression on a plane...or long car trips...but I think on a plane it would just make my poor little toes even colder! Anyone with freezing feet ever tried this? Maybe wearing wool socks with the compression leg sleeves might work.
    You got it. Compression sleeves, cashmere socks, inflatable pillow, pashmina wrap used as blanket, noise cancelling headphones, advil PM, and an eyemask.

-- gnat! (*zzzz*)
    Windsor: 2010 S-Works Ruby
    Pantysgawn: 2011 S-Works Stumpjumper 29er
    Whiz!: 2013 S-Works Crux (Singlespeed)
    Boucheron: 2009 S-Works Tricross
    Haloumi: 2013 Tern P7i
    Kraft: 2009 Singlecross
    Gouda: 2005 Electra Betty
    Roquefort: 1974 Stella SX-73

...also for the plane wool felt slippers and saline nose spray about every half hour. (and phenergan)
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

Quote Originally Posted by itself View Post
    I use compression tights for recovery, and they work nicely. I would some feedback on the socks as my feet are sore after hiking/riding sometimes, and I am wondering if the socks help with the feet too. I know they are designed to work on the calf area (in fact, I see guys in bike shops who are on their feet all day wearing men's compression socks for feet recovery).

Thanks!
    Yes, they also compress the feet. I try to put them on when my feet swell due to the side effects of the medication. After a day, I noticed that the swelling on my feet was significantly relieved and they were returning to their normal size.

Quote Originally Posted by eleeleanor View Post
    Yes, they also compress the feet. I try to put them on when my feet swell due to the side effects of the medication. After a day, I noticed that the swelling on my feet was significantly relieved and they were returning to their normal size.
    Interesting story. In this study which looks pretty well done, they possibly prove that compression socks don't improve performance in a triathlon.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24337671

But I see compression socks as mostly a recovery aid for faster recovery, the ability to do more frequent hard workouts, and to aid anyone with a circulatory issue of any sort.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/