Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Should breaking in a Brooks cause sit bone pain?

To disable ads, please log-in.

After reading a bunch of the saddle threads on here, I decided to buy a Brooks B68 to accomodate my wide-ish sit bones (measured at 130 center to center, 170 outside to outside, 90 inside to inside). The saddle arrived from Wallingford last weekend and I've put almost 100 miles on it so far. I was loving it on all my rides until the last 5 miles of my 30 mile ride this morning when my sit bones just started burning!

I'm pretty new to cycling, I started just a little over a month ago, and this was my longest ride yet. I'm just wondering if this sit bone pain is part of breaking in a Brooks, or part of breaking my butt into cycling in general, or if the B68 maybe isn't the right saddle for me, or if it's something else I haven't even thought of.

Ideas anyone?

Thanks!

the most comfortable saddle will give you pain if you sit on it longer than you are used to.
    In a month or two that 30 miles will be nothing! (if you keep riding that is)
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Ice! Why hadn't I thought of that? Great idea.

Thanks for the responses, I'll just keep on riding and build up the callouses on my sitbones. Thankfully this week is my "cut back" week so I get a little break while the bruising subsides.

I don't know what to call the pain exactly, but it felt like someone spanked me for about a week and a half of daily riding when I first got my brooks.

It's been awesome ever since.

As I recall, my sitbones felt bruised the first few times I rode my Brooks Swallow. Still it was more comfortable than any other saddle I'd ridden. That was 3+ years and about 30k miles ago.