Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Preparing for winter :mad:

To disable ads, please log-in.

What do you all plan to do in the winter to stay in shape for that first spring ride?
    Don't cross the river if you can swim the tide...

2011-Cannondale Synapse Alloy5 WSD with 105 and BB30!

I ride all winter. you're in Ohio, get snow tires!
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Ride my bike outside. Ride my bike inside on the trainer. Do Pilates. Walk my dog.

Riding in the ice with studded tires is great fun and a greater workout. If I lived in a snowy place, I would probably ice skate and XC ski during the winter, too.

I used to take spin classes and I really liked them and I was very strong in the spring. But I'm focusing on improving my finances, so I won't be joining a gym any time soon, if ever again.

Winter? We're still months away from winter!!! It's still 100+ every day here and will be for the foreseeable future. Winter here isn't really until January (and then that's about it).

Sorry I'm no help, it just blows my mind people are already thinking about winter!

I have a new cyclocross bike that will get studded tires for Winter. But I've been running for the past 4 Winters, too, so I will also do that. And ride the "nowhere bike" with movies or The Sufferfest video workouts.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

I plan to ride when it isn't raining. I hope there are days that are like that this winter. The forecast is for another wet winter. For those of you in the snow country, I cry. I would hate snow.
    “Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes.”.
    ~Oscar Wilde

Type One Diabetes
    currently using Medtronic MiniMed
    Revel 723 with CGMS

Quote Originally Posted by RubyTuesday View Post
    For those of you in the snow country, I cry. I would hate snow.
    Who said I didn't hate it? The older I get, the better I tolerate heat and the more I detest cold/snow. NOW I get why people move South when they retire!
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

I get it too, Kirsten. I love the dry heat of California. Now if I could just get it to last 12months out of the year. I ride in the early morning when it is 60 degrees and swim in the afternoon. Why can't summer last longer?????
    “Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes.”.
    ~Oscar Wilde

Type One Diabetes
    currently using Medtronic MiniMed
    Revel 723 with CGMS

I ride all winter.

I also climb stairs (real stairs; I live in a 32 story building). Also walk a lot. I keep thinking I should do something more interesting, but I haven't thought of anything yet.

I am The. Biggest. Pansy. When it comes to riding in chilly weather. Note, I said "CHILLY" Not cold. Chilly. Below 45, I don't go. It really hurts my throat so bad. Poor lungs run in the family, and I have those, too. I've had pneumonia five times, and I'm not even 35.

I hike a lot in winter. I also found an indoor trainer for this winter (yay!) and am looking at some cool videos to help it be a little more exciting. But I have a few great months of riding left, possibly up to December, before the cold drives me to hike more.
    2009 Fuji Team

My blog - which rarely mentions cycling. It's really about decorating & food. http://www.crisangsteninteriors.com/blog

I'm with grey. With temperatures in the 40s, for me it is painful to ride. My muscles get tight, it does not feel good.

Winter: trainer + sufferfest, running. Last winter I signed up for a (running) race at the beginning of April. It was a good incentive to work out. I plan on doing the same this winter.

Swim and lift. Gonna get some huge quads and hammies to help me climb!

Quote Originally Posted by zoom-zoom View Post
    Who said I didn't hate it? The older I get, the better I tolerate heat and the more I detest cold/snow. NOW I get why people move South when they retire!
    Yeah, really. I'd move to Arizona in winter if I weren't going to be detested for it by the year-round residents. (My evidence for this comes from DBF's dad...)

If it's nice and dry (so no ice formation!), I'll ride outside--bundled up, of course. I do have to be careful of icy patches on trails in the shade. Otherwise, trainer and catching up on movies and TV. Maybe I'll at least keep in cardiovascular shape by doing other things...perhaps taking advantage of my university's pool?
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

I will ride as long as possible, which for me usually mean until late Nov/early Dec. But I also hit the gym everyday anyways for cardio/spin/weights, so I will have no shortage of workouts to keep me busy until spring rolls around.
    2012 Seven Axiom SL - Specialized Ruby SL 155

You need to discover winter sports. The key to winter is getting out in it and wool!
    Seriously, I ride until the beginning of December or so, but as it gets colder, my rides get shorter. I do some hiking in the "shoulder" season (fall). Once the snow falls, I get obsessed with cross country skiing and snow shoeing. Cross country skiing conditions are quite inconsistent around here, so I'm usually traveling at least an hour to do that, but we can have good conditions for a few days after a snowstorm. I can snow shoe out my door.
    I used to belong to a gym; did spin, yoga, weights. I now have a trainer for the bike and I do yoga and weights at home. So, basically, Dec., January, February are my months to take some time off of the bike (mostly January and February). If there's a sunny day in the 30's I'll go out for a short ride, if the roads are OK. I am back on my bike by March 5-10 and most people think i am nuts for that.
    I lived in AZ for 16 years and FL for 5. I hated endless summer and believe me, there is more to life than warm weather. I love the seasons and the quality of life I have here. I know I would get burned out if I rode all year round.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport