Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Saddle Measurement Question

To disable ads, please log-in.

When a saddle says it measures 150mm or another number does that mean from one side to the other or a specific distance from the center out?

If I measured right, my sit bones are about 145 mm to 150mm. Does it need to be specific for that size or can you fiddle with those numbers?

Does the length of a saddle hinder your size as well?

The manufacturer's specifications are usually width at the widest and length from end to end if you placed it in a box.

Some saddles are domed, some have hard trim on the edges, so the specified size doesn't always reflect the actual "seating area."

You want the centers of your sit-bones to be well supported on the saddle with room to slide a bit during cornering. That usually means at least 1 cm on each side, so if you're 150 mm center-to-center, you'll need to be looking at 170 mm saddles. Which is pretty much Brooks and that's it.

Length is more personal preference of how much you body steer. I would guess that people with bigger thighs would almost always want a longer nose, but a bony person might still prefer a longer nose for better leverage.

Just like with clothes, measurements are an important starting point that lets you eliminate a lot of guesswork right off the bat, but there's still plenty of trying saddles on until you find the right one. Hope you find "your" saddle soon - and if not, there's a thriving saddle swap meet right here.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Thank you SO much. That really helps narrow down saddles. I've been looking at saddles online and every one seemed so small.

I have two Brook saddles a B17 and a B17 narrow. I like both but really need something for my two mountain bikes and didn't think those would be comfortable for a rougher ride.

My son has a WTB saddle that isn't too bad but I doubt that's the right size as well.