Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky King View Post
    Having grown up in Yellowstone and backpacked extensively in Bear country I was thinking more about your safety than the environment when i suggested the trowel. Do dig an area for voiding and bury that. Pack it in pack it out is of course something we should all do. If you are allowed to have a fire, burn what you can. If not, and you are in bear country hang you trash just as you will your food or if bear proof canisters are used be sure to put everything in the canister. I am sure you will enjoy your trip despite it all
    According to Yellowstone Bear Management, pack it out ( scroll past the data to precautions). It's the same concept as food management. If a bear is attracted by the scent and digs it up, it's a "reward" and encourages them.

http://www.yellowstone-bearman.com/m...tion_data.html
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Quote Originally Posted by Irulan View Post
    Snicker. Maybe it's better than having to explain pile of feces with a toilet paper rose....

Sure they probably do, in a septic system or waste treatment plant.

roo4 lays it out pretty well. It's not that things don't eventually break down - they do, but only in a perfect environmental scenario with just the right amount of moisture, bacteria and so on. Most stuff either gets dug up by critters or just desiccates before it breaks down.

roo4's scenario is but one of the reasons I am such a huge LNT ( Leave No Trace) advocate. (drags out soapbox) It's easy to think "oh, no one's out here, if *I* do it, it will be fine". But there's very few places that humans go that other humans don't go eventually. This includes so-called wilderness areas and other primitive spots. The goal should be to leave an area as clean ( or cleaner) than when you got there, so that the next person can enjoy it as much as you.
    It's unfortunate how much non-decomposed paper and other items you find out there. Nothing is as disappointing as finding a beautiful spot, only to find someone has left "something" that they thought would decompose behind.

Leave No Trace Principles

>puts soapbox away<
    Understood. I have a few soapboxes myself. Usually when we camp, I don't even leave TP roses. When I hike, I carry a garbage bag to pick up everyone elses' discarded water bottles. So I totally understand. I just thought if it was buried deep enough, and would definitely decompose in a timely manner, maybe it would be ok - kind of a grimy thing to carry out.
    2009 Fuji Team

My blog - which rarely mentions cycling. It's really about decorating & food. http://www.crisangsteninteriors.com/blog

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    That's what I was thinking.
    I'm on the 7 day plan.
    So long as the wheels are still turning, life is good.

Battswebb

Pinarello Quattro~CAADX~ Zurich Lemond
    Specialized Romin Saddles

Surly Krampus!

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    I'm on the 7 day plan.
    Bummer. I was lucky to pick up the 4-day plan before they ran out.

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    Bummer. I was lucky to pick up the 4-day plan before they ran out.
    Back when I had periods, they just happened five days a month... you can plan them now??

Electra Townie 7D

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Quote Originally Posted by Pax View Post
    Back when I had periods, they just happened five days a month... you can plan them now??
    That was a joke. I'm not big on smilies. While I'm sure they can be planned these days (even nearly eliminated), I do not partake in any hormonal tampering. The 4-day plan is just what I ended up with, and apparently it's better than alot of women, so I don't complain. The alternative to a visit by Aunt Flo is that she fails to show up...and that would be worrisome to say the least.

Enjoy your camping trip, Muirenn, as best you can!

Quote Originally Posted by roo4 View Post
    i think both standard and "natural" tampons will decompose eventually. The problem is that they will attract wildlife to your campsite. The critters will dig them up, chew on them a bit, decide not to eat the entire treat, and drag them around the campsite and trail and water source. The next day, a family of 4 will be hiking through the woods and a small child will yell, "daddy, look what i found!" the man will look at the woman and say, "you explain it." the woman will glare at the man and say, "oh, look, is that a squirrel in the tree?" distracted, the children will scamper on, but the lovely moment of family togetherness will have been shattered. Pack them out.

lmao!!!!! :d