Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Sorry I don't have anything practical to add, but reading these posts makes me so glad I am old enough not to have to worry about that anymore. It's even worth an occasional hot flash.
    Last edited by goride; 08-17-2011 at 12:02 PM.

Spayed. Bwahahahaha!

Quote Originally Posted by Rebekah H View Post
    Spayed. Bwahahahaha!
    Humph.

Bah humbug.
    So long as the wheels are still turning, life is good.

Battswebb

Pinarello Quattro~CAADX~ Zurich Lemond
    Specialized Romin Saddles

Surly Krampus!

Quote Originally Posted by roo4 View Post
    I recommend packing them out. Sorry. If you bury used tampons, critters will dig them up, much to the delight of the next set of campers.

I know some women that use the Diva cup instead. Not my cup of, um, tea, but it works for some.

OB tampons don't have applicators, so it will lighten your load and pack more easily.

Yes, PLEASE pack them out.(leave no trace, remember?) That's why ziplock bags were invented. Tampons and pads do not decompose, and as mentioned above, turn up in places you'd rather not see them. Yes, it's gross but you'll have to get over it. Baby wipes are a must when you have your period in the back country.

Pack them out means wrap them up and put them in a zip lock in your trash bag and pack it out with you.
    "Pack It In, Pack It Out" is an old saying for Leave No Trace in the outdoors. This includes tampons, used TP, vegetable bits and so on.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Five pounds????
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Quote Originally Posted by Irulan View Post
    Yes, PLEASE pack them out.(leave no trace, remember?) That's why ziplock bags were invented. Tampons and pads do not decompose, and as mentioned above, turn up in places you'd rather not see them. Yes, it's gross but you'll have to get over it. Baby wipes are a must when you have your period in the back country.

Pack them out means wrap them up and put them in a zip lock in your trash bag and pack it out with you.
    "Pack It In, Pack It Out" is an old saying for Leave No Trace in the outdoors. This includes tampons, used TP, vegetable bits and so on.
    I understand the 'no trace' concept, but was a little bemused by this. (And I work for an environmental office, so... ).

But, I haven't been camping in about 20 years. Last time was at Mt Fuji in Japan, and, come to think of it, I had my period then too! But we had garbage facilities.

Fancy.

Hmm. Two years ago, I had my bathroom renovated. And I only have one bathroom.

Guess who decided to visit the night before they demolished that room?

Yeah. Bah.

I must be cursed.

And now I finally get that old expression.

Quote Originally Posted by Biciclista View Post
    Five pounds????
    Maybe 4 and a half.

Battswebb

Surly Krampus!

Do the organic cotton tampons not decompose then? I buy a brand called naturacare - no applicator, they start out so small they look like bullets. Find them easy to carry in a jersey pocket. I guess I could toss a new one in a compost pile and see what happens, I would have thought they'd be ok to bury. :-/
    2009 Fuji Team

My blog - which rarely mentions cycling. It's really about decorating & food. http://www.crisangsteninteriors.com/blog

I think both standard and "natural" tampons will decompose eventually. The problem is that they will attract wildlife to your campsite. The critters will dig them up, chew on them a bit, decide not to eat the entire treat, and drag them around the campsite and trail and water source. The next day, a family of 4 will be hiking through the woods and a small child will yell, "daddy, look what I found!" The man will look at the woman and say, "you explain it." The woman will glare at the man and say, "oh, look, is that a squirrel in the tree?" Distracted, the children will scamper on, but the lovely Moment of Family Togetherness will have been shattered. Pack them out.

Quote Originally Posted by roo4 View Post
    I think both standard and "natural" tampons will decompose eventually. The problem is that they will attract wildlife to your campsite. The critters will dig them up, chew on them a bit, decide not to eat the entire treat, and drag them around the campsite and trail and water source. The next day, a family of 4 will be hiking through the woods and a small child will yell, "daddy, look what I found!" The man will look at the woman and say, "you explain it." The woman will glare at the man and say, "oh, look, is that a squirrel in the tree?" Distracted, the children will scamper on, but the lovely Moment of Family Togetherness will have been shattered. Pack them out.
    Snicker. Maybe it's better than having to explain pile of feces with a toilet paper rose....

grey Do the organic cotton tampons not decompose then? I buy a brand called naturacare - no applicator, they start out so small they look like bullets. Find them easy to carry in a jersey pocket. I guess I could toss a new one in a compost pile and see what happens, I would have thought they'd be ok to bury. :-/
    Sure they probably do, in a septic system or waste treatment plant.

roo4 lays it out pretty well. It's not that things don't eventually break down - they do, but only in a perfect environmental scenario with just the right amount of moisture, bacteria and so on. Most stuff either gets dug up by critters or just desiccates before it breaks down.

roo4's scenario is but one of the reasons I am such a huge LNT ( Leave No Trace) advocate. (drags out soapbox) It's easy to think "oh, no one's out here, if *I* do it, it will be fine". But there's very few places that humans go that other humans don't go eventually. This includes so-called wilderness areas and other primitive spots. The goal should be to leave an area as clean ( or cleaner) than when you got there, so that the next person can enjoy it as much as you.
    It's unfortunate how much non-decomposed paper and other items you find out there. Nothing is as disappointing as finding a beautiful spot, only to find someone has left "something" that they thought would decompose behind.

Leave No Trace Principles

>puts soapbox away<
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    Gee, I'm going on a camping trip this weekend for 3 days. We kayack to the mountains. No running water or any sanitary facilities. Fun, right? I've been looking forward to it. Haven't camped in years. Got all my gear more or less ready. Figuring out what food to bring...and guess who decided to pay a visit this morning?
    Gosh, this is Wednesday; won't it be almost over come the weekend?

Quote Originally Posted by withm View Post
    Not if you're like me who has the joy of it lasting a whole 7 days
    2014 Surly Straggler
    2012 Salsa Casseroll - STOLEN

Snort!

Seriously?

Lucky you!

Battswebb

Surly Krampus!

Having grown up in Yellowstone and backpacked extensively in Bear country I was thinking more about your safety than the environment when i suggested the trowel. Do dig an area for voiding and bury that. Pack it in pack it out is of course something we should all do. If you are allowed to have a fire, burn what you can. If not, and you are in bear country hang you trash just as you will your food or if bear proof canisters are used be sure to put everything in the canister. I am sure you will enjoy your trip despite it all
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    Snort!

Seriously?

Lucky you!
    3-4 days is all I ever had, and the last day practically didn't count. Of course it's been 10 years but that's something you remember.

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    That's what I was thinking.