Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1950s fine dining

To disable ads, please log-in.

Since some of you are too young to remember these days:

42 weird meals from the 1950s

With one of my husband's cousins and her son, we have spent HOURS guffawing over old cookbooks with recipes like these.
    1 lb margarine
    1 pound canned peas
    when a recipe starts like that you know it's going to be good! (not)
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Darnit, blocked domain.

Many of my cookbooks are from the 60s and 70s. All of my family Christmas cookie recipes come from one of them...but there are a good percentage of recipes in there that have something to do with Jello.

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

Meat and jello should not go together...except on the cow. Urk. I must say that the photography/illustrations do nothing to enhance their appeal.

Also, spam. Lovely spam.

My mom has a cookbook from when she was in college/grad school (late 70s/early 80s). Lots of recipes for things in aspic. Where's the barfing smiley when you need it?
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

You may also enjoy The Gallery of Regrettable Foods - http://lileks.com/institute/gallery/
    (caution - if you are drinking milk you may snort it from your nose while reading this)
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Quote Originally Posted by Eden View Post
    You may also enjoy The Gallery of Regrettable Foods - http://lileks.com/institute/gallery/
    (caution - if you are drinking milk you may snort it from your nose while reading this)
    +1. It's hilarious and stomach-turning at the same time.

Some of those are hilarious.... my favorite is ring-around-the-tuna.

I'll admit though, my kids LOVE Spam!

Although looking at those pictures, I can't but wonder what people will be saying in 50-60 years about some of the things people are eating today.
    ~ working mom to 3 little girls ~

Roadie... 2010 54cm Trek Madone 4.5, Bontrager inForm

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Although looking at those pictures, I can't but wonder what people will be saying in 50-60 years about some of the things people are eating today.
    True. They just have flip on Food Network show which some shows focus heavily on interesting/but junk like food.

I was amazed/appalled in Hawai'i, spam sushi is pretty popular when I was there.

But maybe some people feel better having it for awhile (especially if there are concerns of radioactive leakage infecting the sea life after nuclear power plant meltdown in Japan during earthquake earlier this yr.).
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Fortunately my mother was a good cook. We never saw anything that even resembled some of this ersatz 'food'. I can probably count on one hand the times I have eaten jello. Well tomato aspic not withstanding, but I don't make it with jello either.

What is aspic?

I love that little hotdog man-thing. My grandmother used to slice hotdogs up the middle for us so we didn't choke on them, but she never made a little man out of one.

I used to love my mom's Jello molds. My grandmother used to make this great Jello salad she called Ambrosia. One of my favorite things about holiday dinners.

But seriously, look at some of the stuff we eat today. Turducken, anyone? And those nuclear-spiced Cheetos? I can't even stand to be around someone eating those, they smell so bad.

Roxy
    Getting in touch with my inner try-athlete.

The little hotdog man is Frankie Doodle Dandy!

Funny!
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

Quote Originally Posted by channlluv View Post
    What is aspic?

I love that little hotdog man-thing. My grandmother used to slice hotdogs up the middle for us so we didn't choke on them, but she never made a little man out of one.

I used to love my mom's Jello molds. My grandmother used to make this great Jello salad she called Ambrosia. One of my favorite things about holiday dinners.

But seriously, look at some of the stuff we eat today. Turducken, anyone? And those nuclear-spiced Cheetos? I can't even stand to be around someone eating those, they smell so bad.

Roxy
    Aspic: Basically, gelatin, with broth/stock as the liquid, with various things embedded in it.

I'm pretty sure they had a forerunner to the turducken in medieval Europe if they were exceedingly rich and had to show off...

Quote Originally Posted by channlluv View Post
    Very true! And how about deep-fried twinkies, Bloomin' Onions, or 90% of the Denny's menu.
    ~ working mom to 3 little girls ~

Roadie... 2010 54cm Trek Madone 4.5, Bontrager inForm

I have you know that Cajun Turducken is wonderful!

Debone 1 turkey, 1 duck, 1 chicken. Season the outside of the chicken and duck. Stuff the inside of the chicken with sausage dressing. Stuff inside the chicken, which is then stuffed inside the turkey.

Easy method: order from a Cajun market.
    Beth

back in the 60's in college I had a cookbook called "the impoverished Students Guide to Cookery, Keepery and Drinkery". It covered everything from finding a roommate and setting up a housing, food, chores, utilities, drinks, and laundry budgets to how to make fake kalua, a spread sheet for casseroles, another for stir fry, hints for mending, how to do laundry etc. It was actually useful and had only pen and ink illustrations, mostly humorous.

marni
    marni
    Katy, Texas
    Trek Madone 6.5- "Red"
    Trek Pilot 5.2- " Bebe"

"easily outrun by a chihuahua."