Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Fender Clearance Mounting Question

To disable ads, please log-in.

I bought a new Surly Cross Check and there is much space between the top of the tire (front wheel) and the bottom of the fork where one would typically mount the fender. I have 700x32 c wheels/tires. If I mount my fenders up at the bottom of the fork there will be about 2.5 inches between the fender and the tire, which is aesthetically unpleasing. Is there some sort of spacer to use to mount the front fender closer to the tire?

Also, most videos show one using the bolt which holds the brakes to the crown of the fork through the "L" bracket on the front fender to mount. However I have traditional cantilever brakes, so there is only a hole where you would mount other types of brakes. Does a bolt typically come in the mounting hardware package of most fenders?

Mark from Rivendell has a superb video showing, up close, how to mount the SKS Longboard fenders, however the bike uses different brakes and there isn't the large clearance between tires and fenders. I sent him an email late last night asking the same things.

So wise women of TE, give me your thoughts. I am leaning toward installing the SKS Longboard fenders in "Beige" on my Robins Egg Blue Surly.

Thanks
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls & looks like work" - Thomas Edison

Regarding the large clearance between the front tire and the fender - Be conservative about decreasing the clearance. If there is very little clearance between the front fender and the tire, and a stick or some other debris gets flipped up by the tire and becomes jammed between the tire and fender, you are probably going to go down. So if you do lower the fender, leave enough space between tire and fender (like maybe 1 cm ?) for safety sake.

Regarding the mounting problem - I went through the same sort of hassle when I mounted fenders on my do-it-all bike (a Klein Pinnacle) and I ultimately had to make my own extenders and braces to attach the fenders to the bike.

@Hi Ho Silver, thanks for your feedback. Yes, I'm thinking a bracket or something. What this will mean for me is to pay the LBS to do it, as they've come across these problems before.

Thanks. I thought some bike shop owners or real "do it yourself" TE members would respond more. Oh well.
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls & looks like work" - Thomas Edison

You can probably do it yourself - if you have some patience.

The hole in the fork is sized to accommodate a brake-mounting bolt. Just a quick internet search came up with the following info: http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/brake-calipers.html#nuts . (Note: Sheldon's web pages are a treasure trove of info on all things obscure.) So you can get the mounting bolt from the web, or probably free from a bike store.

Next you'd need a rectangular piece of metal to extend downward from the brake mounting bolt to the spot where you'd like the fender mount screw to go. If you are handy with a hacksaw and drill, just get a piece of fairly sturdy metal, saw out a rectangular piece, then drill holes in it for the bolt and screw. If you aren't handy with tools, then get a roll of heavy gauge pipe strapping (also called pipe hanger strap, available at any hardware store). It is relatively flexible, and has holes pre-drilled in it at fixed intervals. Measure the length you'd need and you can cut it or bend it back and forth until it breaks. If the strapping is really flimsy, try folding it over for double thickness then cut to length. The caveat with this solution is that the holes may be too small for the brake mounting bolt.

Thin strips of stainless steel in different widths and lengths can be found at most hardware stores and make fine fender brackets. A dremel tool and a drill with the right sized metal bit were the only tools that I needed.

My SUB has custom mountings on two sets of fenders depending on what tire sizes I am running. All standard hardware items, though I explicitly purchase 5mm fasteners to keep the metric consistent on the bike.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    '89 Bridgestone Radac Dura-Ace | Specialized Ruby, 143
    '92 Bridgestone MB-1 | Specialized Ruby, 143
    '92 Bridgestone MB-1.2 (balloon tire bike) | Specialized Ruby, 143
    '93 Bridgestone MB-5 (my SUB*) | Specialized Lithia, 143

My blog: Portlandia Pedaler (at Blogger)