Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Wheel sets - so confusing!

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hey all, I'm new to this forum. I've been biking since last year (road bike) and have really come to enjoy biking. I currently have a 2009 Fuji Finest RC with stock wheels and tires. I'd like to upgrade but I'm overwhelmed with all the brands and the types and then there's hubs and...
    What should I be looking for? My price range is about 250-300 for a wheel set. Also what should I look for in tires? I'm not looking to set land speed records, just upgrade from what I have at a reasonable price.

Any info you can share I'd appreciate.

What bothers you about your current wheelset?

What seems to be the limitations of your current tires?
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Oh I KNOW the feeling!!! I upgraded my stock wheelset to Mavic Cosmic Carbones (it was a gift from Mom). Now, I wished I asked for a different wheelset...looks like I'm going to have to save up for one. These are "bombproof", but heavy. I would like to have a wheelset for routes that I know that will have a lot of climbing.

SO....I've been looking at Titans and Neuvations M28. They're known to be very sturdy, great on climbing, and has a mild aeroness to it to give you a little bit more boost on speed on decents.

They are between 250-300, depending on where you find them. When I save up enough money, they'll be the first thing I buy. That's just my opinion. I think from reviews, they look to be a well all around wheels for a nice price.

Tires - dependent on what road conditions you ride on. If you find yourself riding on rough roads, chip and seals, you'll be better off getting Gatorskins. They last quite a while and much more puncture proof than others. I personally don't use them, but I've heard good things about them. Some people don't like them because they're heavy.

Vittoria Rubino Pros are another good choices.

Some people have gone away with really cheap tires and still last a long time. Others, buys something expensive with 320 TPI (Vittoria Open Corsa) and get a lot of flats. So, it's really dependent on road conditions. If you're just riding around the town and not in races, you can get away with Gatorskins and Rubinos and they'll last you a long time. I haven't really shopped for prices. I know I definitely will not use Vittoria Zaffinos. They came in stock with my bike...and wore out within a few hundred miles.

Good luck!!

Quote Originally Posted by CyborgQueen View Post
    I know I definitely will not use Vittoria Zaffinos. They came in stock with my bike...and wore out within a few hundred miles.
    Funny...those came stock on my first road bike and I rode 3500 miles without a single flat. Sold the bike with the stock tires. I'd buy a set of those, again. I now have some Schwalbe tire (not sure of the model, off-hand...they were stock on my 2011 SuperSix). Got my first flat 1500 miles into them and at 2700ish miles they are becoming noticeably worn-looking. Far more worn than my Zaffiros were with nearly a thousand more miles on them. I ride on primarily chip-sealed and rough asphalt roads with a lot of sand and potholes.

A lot of people I know swear by the Continental Grand Prix 4000. I will probably replace my current tires with those at some point in the near future.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Hi,

Fulcrum wheeels are quite good for the price (and seem to have quite good customer reviews) - I'm on Fulcrum Racing 5's which came as stock on my bike.

With regards to tyres I can also recommend the Vittoria Rubino Pros - so far nearly 900 miles without a flat (touch wood).

Also heard goood things about Continental Grand Prix 4000.
    ------------------
    Cervélo S1 2010

Don't know much about wheelsets, as I'm riding my stock wheels and don't foresee switching them at the moment.

But in regards to tires, I can highly recommend Vittoria Diamante Pro (rode these for close to 4k miles with only 1 flat)...and right now I'm currently riding on Michelin Krylion tires, which have also been great. For me, I look for a tire that has decent grip on both dry and wet pavement because I frequently get caught out in the rain.
    2012 Seven Axiom SL - Specialized Ruby SL 155

Quote Originally Posted by nscrbug View Post
    But in regards to tires, I can highly recommend Vittoria Diamante Pro (rode these for close to 4k miles with only 1 flat)...
    My favorites as well. Supple, grippy, and available in a 25

Quote Originally Posted by nscrbug View Post
    But in regards to tires, I can highly recommend Vittoria Diamante Pro (rode these for close to 4k miles with only 1 flat)
    My favorite too for an all around good tire. I put them on my last bike and rode over 2k miles on them before I sold the bike to a friend. She's put about 500 miles on them and they are still going strong.

Luna Eclipse/Selle Italia Lady
    Surly Pacer/Terry Butterfly
    Quintana Roo Cd01/Koobi Stratus
    1981 Schwinn Le Tour Tourist
    Jamis Coda Femme

Give Keith at Williams Cycling a call! He is great and the 19s would be right about what you are looking for.

www.williamscyling.com

Quote Originally Posted by ehirsch83 View Post
    Give Keith at Williams Cycling a call! He is great and the 19s would be right about what you are looking for.

www.williamscyling.com
    Those do look nice, although they're over the OP's stated budget.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Quote Originally Posted by zoom-zoom View Post
    Funny...those came stock on my first road bike and I rode 3500 miles without a single flat. Sold the bike with the stock tires. I'd buy a set of those, again. I now have some Schwalbe tire (not sure of the model, off-hand...they were stock on my 2011 SuperSix). Got my first flat 1500 miles into them and at 2700ish miles they are becoming noticeably worn-looking. Far more worn than my Zaffiros were with nearly a thousand more miles on them. I ride on primarily chip-sealed and rough asphalt roads with a lot of sand and potholes.

A lot of people I know swear by the Continental Grand Prix 4000. I will probably replace my current tires with those at some point in the near future.
    That's just weird!! I suspect that I use mine on a trainer for a little while, so it got worn faster. I've gotten a few pinch flats. Just to prove that people will recommend a tire that has been good to them, while it may have been poor to others. I have the GP 4000. Had it since April and 500 miles later, no flats thus far. I like them. Has a bit of a high price tag. I don't know if I'll get these again.

Thanks for all of the info. I've heard of Neuvation as those seem popular. Also Mavic seems to be another one, don't know if anyone has experience with those. Anyone have any idea about Vuelta as well?

What is your current wheelset and how much does it weigh? All of the wheels you just listed are generally fine, but if you should try to figure out what you're comparing it to and whether they're truly much of an upgrade.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

I have several wheel sets in my garage that we are preparing to but on ebay (from our old retail store) I will send you a PM with the different ones, maybe I can get good price for you
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

Quote Originally Posted by CyborgQueen View Post
    Oh I KNOW the feeling!!! I upgraded my stock wheelset to Mavic Cosmic Carbones (it was a gift from Mom). Now, I wished I asked for a different wheelset...looks like I'm going to have to save up for one. These are "bombproof", but heavy. I would like to have a wheelset for routes that I know that will have a lot of climbing.

SO....I've been looking at Titans and Neuvations M28. They're known to be very sturdy, great on climbing, and has a mild aeroness to it to give you a little bit more boost on speed on decents.

They are between 250-300, depending on where you find them. When I save up enough money, they'll be the first thing I buy. That's just my opinion. I think from reviews, they look to be a well all around wheels for a nice price.

Tires - dependent on what road conditions you ride on. If you find yourself riding on rough roads, chip and seals, you'll be better off getting Gatorskins. They last quite a while and much more puncture proof than others. I personally don't use them, but I've heard good things about them. Some people don't like them because they're heavy.

Vittoria Rubino Pros are another good choices.

Some people have gone away with really cheap tires and still last a long time. Others, buys something expensive with 320 TPI (Vittoria Open Corsa) and get a lot of flats. So, it's really dependent on road conditions. If you're just riding around the town and not in races, you can get away with Gatorskins and Rubinos and they'll last you a long time. I haven't really shopped for prices. I know I definitely will not use Vittoria Zaffinos. They came in stock with my bike...and wore out within a few hundred miles.

Good luck!!
    If puncture resistance is what you want, these are great. Otherwise, I'd skip them. Pretty heavy and terrible ride quality. It's like riding on garden hoses filled with cement.

A 300 dollar wheelset might not give you that much of an upgrade. What's wrong with your current wheels?