Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hybrid View

Any Double Edge Safety Razor Users Out There?

Having long been frustrated with settling on a plastic razor only to find that the manufacturer soon stops selling the replacement cartridges (thanks Bic), always considering the environment, saving money and after reading Michael Barry's almost poetic ode to shaving his legs with a safety razor -
    http://www.bicycling.com/training-nu...cling?page=0,0 - I am thinking of taking the plunge. Most everything I read concerning safety razors concerns men and their faces, of course. Anyone women out there using a DE safety razor? If so, how do you like it? Any tips, suggestions?

2001 Trek 7500 FX, converted to a hauler - Serfas
    200? Marin hybrid - Selle San Marco
    2004 Trek 5200 - Avatar
    2011 Trek 6.2 Madone - Ruby

I don't use a DE safety razor, but I've been using the Venus women's razor for years; now in it's Venus 5 version. It is not a throw a way razor and the blades, while expensive, last for weeks. The previous versions still have blades for sale (the 3 and 4). I never get cut and believe me, I used to cut myself all of the time.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

+1 on the Venus, that's all I will use, they don't knick at all and shave really well.
    2009 Specialized Roubaix pro/SMP lite 209
    2010 Trek 4300/Specialized ariel 155

+1 on the Venus razor.

I used to use a safety razor but developed rashes under my arms where it cut too close. You have to be really careful - it's so easy to cut yourself. Those cuts seem to linger on me because next time I shaved, I'd open it up again. NOTHING bleeds like a cut around the lower leg!
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

Another one for the Venus. I think I've been using mine 10 years now.

I hear you on the waste ... but I'm not about to try a straight razor under my arms, thankyouverymuch.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Another Venus user. All the blades will fit on all handles, which is nice, and I rarely cut myself with it. I hear you on the waste, though. But: I have relatively thick hair, so I go through blades faster (1.5-2 weeks), but I still have most of a Sam's Club package of the things, a year later.

(And is that me, or is the article rather funny?)
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

DH and I have been using the leg of an old pair of jeans to extend the life of razor blades: http://lifehacker.com/5356529/extend...-pair-of-jeans

I was a bit dubious at first, but it has made a difference, even with DH's Brillo pad beard.