Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by salsabike View Post
    And they know how to ride in the rain.
    Especially the folks from the Pacific Northwest!

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

Quote Originally Posted by jobob View Post
    Here's a small glimpse of what it's like starting out. Riders head out in groups of 400. Wheeee!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AahNJBsJi_8
    At least the weather looked good for the partis.
    Beth

This might be Susan's group. Bonne route!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNGTOFl_z3A

ooh, I think I saw my friend Kitty go by up near the front of the group! (oops, maybe not)

Hey, was that Rob Hawks at 1:16, pulled over to say hi to someone??? (He's the RBA for the San Francisco Randonneurs) --> nope, I'm 0 for 3!
    Last edited by jobob; 08-21-2011 at 10:34 PM.

Jo, Seattle has the largest group here and then I think San Francisco is next. Lots of Davis folks too. So I wouldn't be surprised if you saw people you know!

Susan, if she goes by plan, will be rolling in 20 minutes. The SIR folks got there around 5 pm and their wave left at 8 pm. It was getting a little cooler by then and was really gorgeous. Chris loves night riding so this is a good way for him to start.

I love that other people are interested in this! It is SO cool to see this place spilling over with randos from all over the world. Love the different jerseys--Aussies, Welsh, Japanese, Bulgarian...
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

Good luck! I hope to one day do P-B-P myself, but until then I will live vicariously through you!
    2006 Giant OCRc
    2011 Giant Escape City W
    198? Univega Nuovo Sport 42/16 fixed gear conversion
    1979 Peugeot 44/18 fixed gear conversion

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Brittany is a rainy place; it's been described like Ireland, but I've never been to Ireland so I can't compare. Thanks for the updates, Salsa and Susan.

Susan and Chris both got to Loudeac tonight around 7 pm (449 km, about 23 straight hours of riding). Not sure what her plans are, but he was going to try to get 3-4 hours sleep and then push on.
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

Quote Originally Posted by salsabike View Post
    Susan and Chris both got to Loudeac tonight around 7 pm (449 km, about 23 straight hours of riding). Not sure what her plans are, but he was going to try to get 3-4 hours sleep and then push on.
    Wow; that's an unbelievable amount of time in the saddle. Good luck to both of them as they push on. How's the weather been?
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Chris said they went through a little rain, not bad. And it's not hot anymore, thankfully. So, so far, okay.

And I should amend the "23 hours" a little to say that that's 23 hours without sleep--they do make some brief stops at the controls--eat, drink, bathroom--although no longer than they have to.
    Last edited by salsabike; 08-22-2011 at 12:39 PM.

That's impressive! 23 hours later and they are 1/3 of the way done (in KM).
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

Wow - good for them! Making good time and planning a solid rest stop. I really hope the rain continues to mostly hold off.
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

Good for them! 23 hours with no sleep, I can handle. 23 hours with no sleep and riding a bike, no way!
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

They are still on a similar time scale so far---Chris got to Brest around 11 am, Susan around 11:30 am. I got a text from him saying "Brest--time to rest a little" so my hope is that they're both sleeping right now!

Halfway done, excellent!

Salsa -

Please check in - we're hearing a disturbing rumor about a rider, and I (for one) would love to know all TE connected folks are safe....
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...