Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

First climb video with a ContourHD helmet camera

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hopefully this new camera will solve the two issues that some people complained about-the loud breathing and the shakiness from the handlebar mount.

I got a ContourHD from Amazon last week for $145, which is less than half the price local retailers are charging ($300). I mounted it on my helmet and went up a 7 mile climb yesterday. It is much quieter than the Playsport, and video quality is much better. I recorded at the same 848x480 resolution as I always have on the Playsport, but Contour's 848x480 is 60 fps instead of 30 like the Playsport, so the picture is much smoother, with none of the rolling shutter waviness that the Playsport had.

The only thing I can see people complaining about now is how much I move my head around while climbing. I didn't realize that until I watched the video. I will try to work on that for future videos.

This is Starkes Grade Road near Camino in El Dorado County, CA. It's a beautiful climb with very little traffic and great scenery. It reminded me of the Old La Honda climb videos other people have uploaded.

Garmin Connect data: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/106632471

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AJH5OvY15Q

Top of climb

City limit style sign at driveway entrance on Starkes Grade Road. I snapped this pic on the way back down the hill.

I have a couple cameras and the one on my helmet - I watched the first video I made (well second, as the first was tilted so all you saw was sky) and all I thought was - dang I move my head around a lot. Which of course I need to do and I was riding in the neighborhood so lots of streets and cars coming out of side streets, etc. Now I'm looking to attach the other one I have onto my bike. That's on today's to do list, but likely after I get out and ride.

Nice to see I'm not the only one that finds it fun to play around with the cameras.
    You too can help me fight cancer, and get a lovely cookbook for your very own! My team's cookbook is for sale Click here to order. Proceeds go to our team's fundraising for the Philly Livestrong Challenge!

I'm glad I made a local test video before this one, as I found out that I had a wonderful view of the pavement for 40 miles LOL! Now I have the mount a little further back so the camera is tilted higher. I already had the tilt adjustment on the mount as high as it would go.

I also forgot that I often tilt my head to one side while climbing. Oops!

I bought Contour's handlebar mount and their universal mount, which allows you to mount the camera on anything with a standard 1/4" tripod screw.

That's very interesting. Is this camera picking up the data from a GPS unit on your bike? That is cool.

I had one on my helmet, you would see even more head movement as I check for oncoming cars over my shoulder quite frequently (before even a slight move to the left to avoid a pothole).

I love that it's picking up info from your GPS - visually it doesn't LOOK like the grade went from 6 to 12 and then 16%, (yowieeee!) so it's cool to me to see that information on there.
    2009 Fuji Team

My blog - which rarely mentions cycling. It's really about decorating & food. http://www.crisangsteninteriors.com/blog

The camera doesn't have GPS capability. I use DashWare software to overlay the data from my Garmin onto the video.

I use a Take-A-Look mirror to keep track of overtaking vehicles, but I always turn my head before making any moves, just like I do while driving. I'm sure the Take-A-Look has a blind spot too.

Quote Originally Posted by grey View Post
    I love that it's picking up info from your GPS - visually it doesn't LOOK like the grade went from 6 to 12 and then 16%, (yowieeee!) so it's cool to me to see that information on there.
    The camera doesn't have GPS capability. I use DashWare software to overlay the data from my Garmin onto the video.

Since I don't have a speed/cadence sensor on my bike, I question the accuracy of my Garmin while riding through forested areas like this climb. Trees interfere with satellite signals, which my Garmin is totally dependent on without the sensor.

I saw the numbers going crazy too, and I didn't believe it for a second. My effort level didn't change, so I know I didn't ride up a 16% section.

God I love this bike. Does it concern you that I read your posts just for pics of it? Like I'm stalking a crush...

Is it a ruby? I learned to ride singletrack on an old Rockhopper that belonged to a friend; my only experience with Specialized.

Awesome video
    2008 Giant FCR2 W
    2001 Giant Rincon SE

Quote Originally Posted by GingerbreadGirl View Post
    God I love this bike. Does it concern you that I read your posts just for pics of it? Like I'm stalking a crush...

Is it a ruby? I learned to ride singletrack on an old Rockhopper that belonged to a friend; my only experience with Specialized.

Awesome video
    Thanks! Doesn't bother me a bit. I'm flattered that someone likes my bike. I posted pics of it in those "post pictures of your road bike" threads in the road section of BikeForums and it never got any comments.

It's a 2011 Dolce Triple. Pretty low-end, just like the rest of my bikes. I bought it for climbing and with the mtb gearing I put on, it does quite well.

I have fond memories of my 1989 HardRock. I paid $279 for it at the LBS, and I rode that thing all over some of the best singletrack and fire road climbs in the state. I also used it for steep road climbs, since the road bike I had back then was a standard double.

I am surprised with how high your heart rate runs during the climbs. What is your average? Max?

Quote Originally Posted by luv2climb View Post
    Very cool. You are a tech goddess, in addition to a climbing one.

Quote Originally Posted by SarahMN View Post
    I am surprised with how high your heart rate runs during the climbs. What is your average? Max?
    My max is still over 200. Last summer I got it up to 212 on a climb. This year, 206. In the early 90s when I was in peak condition my max was 215.

My average on these climbing rides is usually in the 150s to 160s. The Garmin data I posted a link to in my OP shows my average and max for the ride.

Quote Originally Posted by pll View Post
    Very cool. You are a tech goddess, in addition to a climbing one.
    Thank you. I do love to tinker with gadgets and computers.

Speaking of tinkering, I had to reload the firmware in the camera. It has been rather buggy since I got it and I have tried all the other troubleshooting methods, so hopefully this works. The problems I'm having seem firmware related.

[QUOTE=luv2climb;595195]Thanks! Doesn't bother me a bit. I'm flattered that someone likes my bike. I posted pics of it in those "post pictures of your road bike" threads in the road section of BikeForums and it never got any comments.
    QUOTE]

Aw I think it's so pretty. I love the color combination.
    2008 Giant FCR2 W
    2001 Giant Rincon SE

Quote Originally Posted by GingerbreadGirl View Post
    Aw I think it's so pretty. I love the color combination.
    Me too. Blue is my second favorite color after purple.