Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Shorts for Thick thighs?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I currently only own two pairs - a Bontrager (which I got for free from a drawing...$120 value) that only matches one of my jersey, and Sugoi. I don't remember the style.

I do not like the Bontrager's leg grippers, a little too restrictive, I do like the chamois as it's pretty much one piece, none of that 3D stuff. Kind of like a tri chamois, but thicker.

My Sugoi is the one that is most used, however, the rear of the chamois doesn't really fit my sitbones, and I think that's my issues lately after buying a new saddle, which I really like. They're okay for 20-30 milers, but after that, they start to "bunch" up a little, and chafe my inner legs a little. Hence why I need to look for better shorts.

I'm looking at LG Neo Power Shorts, Seebeest Century Elite Short, and LG Carbon Ion H-Flexx Shorts. (which was recommended to me due to Air Gel...but I cannot find it anywhere for a much cheaper deal).

However, my biggest concern is the size of the thighs. I have thunder thighs and I hate them. I'm having a HARD time to lose all the fat that's there (any suggestions besides lipo? ).

So, I'm wondering for those who have thick thighs, small waist - which ones above do you think are the best without me looking like a sausage and without looking like it's jiggling while I pedal. Is any of my choices good or poor? Or any other suggestions?

Thanks!

I have thunder thighs and the LG Neo Power fit me perfectly.

I really don't care much about how I look in cycling shorts (I'm plenty dorky already in my hi-viz jerseys and the way your legs look when you're walking around in cleats ), but those shorts are very long and they have a very wide lower hem in place of grippers, so there isn't any "sausage" effect, either.

ETA - any cycling shorts should be snug enough to prevent jiggling. I don't wear compression gear on the bike, but they should fit like a second skin. Shorts shouldn't bunch up no matter how long the ride - that's another sign that they might be too large.
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 08-15-2011 at 03:20 AM.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    I don't have thunder thighs, so I cannot comment on the shorts, but once you find comfy shorts, you can get a skirt wrapper if you are self-conscious.

Terry Bellas. They are extremely compressive, long, with a yoga type waist band. The chamois is not too thick, either.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I have found that I can't do the shorts with gripperless compression bands at the bottom. Those give me the worst sausage thighs...it seems to not matter the brand.

The shorts that are most flattering on me are the Pearl Izumi Symphony short, with the Elite level chamois. I also like the PRO short with the PRO chamois. These may be more chamois than you'd like, though. But I can definitely sympathize on the small-waist-with-thunder-thighs thing.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Thanks for the recommendations! Hopefully I can start buying them, and try them (with underwear of course, I'm no idiot), ride it on the trainer and return them if they don't fit.

SHOPPING TIME! Who doesn't love Shopping for cycling clothes!! :-)