Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Xenia, Ohio~over 200 miles of Rails to Trails

To disable ads, please log-in.

We are contemplating taking a week in September for a cycling vacation. Has anyone ever been to Xenia, Ohio to ride the Rails to Trails in that area?
    Don't cross the river if you can swim the tide...

2011-Cannondale Synapse Alloy5 WSD with 105 and BB30!

Catrin and Roadtrip were actually just there. I think this may be the one good point of living in southwest Ohio...
    I live close to the Little Miami trail, which goes up to Xenia, and when I move up to Dayton, I'll be utilizing the Creekside trail (which ends in Xenia and connects to the Little Miami trail). They're all paved (either asphalt or concrete), and by and large well-maintained, depending on which municipality/county is responsible for it. There are patches where tree roots create bumps in the surface, but by and large it's nice, at least all the bits where I ride. In the major towns along the trail, you should be able to find places to grab food.

This website provides a nice run-down of all the trails that connect there, and takes you on a photographic tour. It's been helpful as I try to figure out the trail network in Dayton!
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Thanks Owlie, We checked out the website and pictures earlier today. I am really excited to go and hope it is good weather and paths. Freedomrider and I have been married a long time and raised 3 kids-(24-30yrs old). This will be the first vacation he and I have taken alone together since before first kid was born! I am new to cycling this summer and have been loving every minute of it. Can't wait til September!

I don't blame you. It's a really lovely trail network, from what I can tell, and the town where I get to the trail takes a great deal of pride in it. If you'd like to meet up one day for a ride--no pressure--send me a PM.

Worry not. Paths are in pretty good shape and hopefully the weather will cooperate. Also, the Little Miami trail (don't know about the others) has a 20-mph speed limit. Pretty awesome, even if I very rarely go that fast!

The trail this weekend was in really nice condition, at least the section from Yellow Springs toward Xenia. In fact it was little better the section Owlie and I normally ride.

Rode from Glen Helen Nature Preserve (will have to go back for some hiking) to a mile or so shy of Xenia Station were Catrin said it gets really urban so we turned around at the McDonalds which is bike friendly and has bike racks out front. We did about 16 miles, which ended up feeling like 20+ miles back home, thanks to the false flat (gradual northbound uphill/south downhill you don't see, but your legs feel) had me feeling that little 18-20mph "sprint" I'd done the first half of he ride

Shannon
    Last edited by Roadtrip; 08-14-2011 at 05:34 PM.
    Starbucks.. did someone say Starbucks?!?!
    http://www.cincylights.com

Quote Originally Posted by Roadtrip View Post
    The trail this weekend was in really nice condition, at least the section from Yellow Springs toward Xenia. In fact it was little better the section Owlie and I normally ride.

Shannon
    The Milford-Loveland section is the oldest part of the trail, so not surprising. They resurfaced it in 2005, apparently, but I think they missed some spots...

Quote Originally Posted by Roadtrip View Post

Rode from Glen Helen Nature Preserve (will have to go back for some hiking) to a mile or so shy of Xenia Station were Catrin said it gets really urban so we turned around at the McDonalds which is bike friendly and has bike racks out front. We did about 16 miles, which ended up feeling like 20+ miles back home, thanks to the false flat (gradual northbound uphill/south downhill you don't see, but your legs feel) had me feeling that little 18-20mph "sprint" I'd done the first half of the ride

Shannon
    You did great! From what I've been told, in Xenia it basically becomes a sidewalk, and from the looks of the traffic we saw it was probably a good turn-around point. It does continue to Cincinnati, and is a great trail all-around from all of the reports I've heard.

If you like hiking, there are some great places around Yellow Springs as well - Glen Helen Nature Preserve, Clifty Falls, and John Bryan State Park. YS has some great B&Bs and the town is quite accustomed to and welcome hikers and cyclists. Can't tell I like the area, can you? There is reportedly some nice mountain biking in the state park as well...

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    You did great! From what I've been told, in Xenia it basically becomes a sidewalk, and from the looks of the traffic we saw it was probably a good turn-around point. It does continue to Cincinnati, and is a great trail all-around from all of the reports I've heard.
    That's what I saw from the website. It's probably not too bad early in the mornings on weekends, but you'd have to get out early. It sounds like going south from Xenia's not too bad, but then you miss out on the ice cream from Young's Dairy in Yellow Springs.

BTW, Roadtrip, we should set up another ride before I move!

Quote Originally Posted by owlie View Post
    it sounds like going south from xenia's not too bad, but then you miss out on the ice cream from young's dairy in yellow springs.
    ice cream?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by KatzPajamas View Post
    ice cream?!?!
    Young's Dairy Fabulous place! It isn't quite on the trail, but it is certainly in riding distance from it.

I'm originally from the Xenia area and went back for a family wedding last weekend. We drove past Young's Dairy and I couldn't believe how huge it is now!

I did a long tour from Ohio to Maine earlier this summer. I started in downtown Cincinnati and took the bike path starting a few miles south of Milford all the way up to Madison County. It was nice and smooth with very low traffic during the week. I had some fast days with good mileage However, it was a bit boring. I'm used to having more stuff to think about and look at, like traffic. Every day on the bike path, around mile 40, everything would start to hurt - lower back, hands, knee, elbows, etc. The minute I got off the trail all of that stuff would disappear. I don't normally ride with headphones, but I wish I had had some for that portion of the trip.

In downtown Xenia, the Little Miami trail goes up on the sidewalk for about 3 or 4 blocks to avoid the very busy intersection of Detroit and Main Streets. Main St. used to be US 35 (recently rerouted) and Detroit is US 68 so traffic is very heavy and even watching for pedestrians and turning cars, the sidewalk is easier right there. The sidewalk has bike lane markings and it's easy to find the trail again. For an alternate, I *think* that, heading north, you could take Creekside trail up to Market St, turn left on Church St, and then turn left on the Little Miami Trail. Market and Church are still busy streets, but not as busy as Detroit.

KatzPajamas, if you go to that area to ride on the trails, I recommend staying somewhere other than Xenia. There are very few local restaurants and not much to do other than riding. John Bryan SP is beautiful and has good hiking. Avoid the campground on the weekends. Farther south, near Morrow, Morgan's Riverside Campground is really nice, and they have basic cabins if the weather looks bad. Yellow Springs is always fun. Good food and they have a farmer's market on Saturday.

I did the GTCC last month from Xenia. The trails are GREAT. The only truly urban path was in the Dayton area heading toward Rverscape. The section in Xenia the is "urban" only lasts a couple of miles. I didn't see many walkers or runners on the trail, and I typically left Xenia between 07:30 & 08:00. FYI there are other ice cream shops along the path in small towns to bith Cincy & London. I am a native Xenian and have been away for about 25 years. This experience has me looking for employment in the Dayton area. I was VERY impressed.

If you go to www.mvrpc.org and request a map, they will mail you one. That way you can plan your trip in advance.
    "Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" (Robert F. Kennedy)