Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Trek Y Bikes?

Trek Y Bikes?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I was at LBS in Lincoln, fell in love with a funky looking butt ugly school bus yellow MTB bike. I asked the guy about it and if it needed work done. He gave some mumbled response that he hadn't looked at and wasn't sure what was wrong. Hmmm.

After messing with it, the bike needed new shifters. He didn't seem willing to help with that until I asked and said he'd get to it in about a week. I looked over at the wall and asked about the shifters there. He mumbled some more and handed me left/right shifters. I paid for the bike and shifters and left the store. I have a LBS store that will take me seriously and go over the bike. He's lucky I even bought the bike.

Turns out I bought a full carbon Trek Y11 MTB. My LBS guy went crazy over it took a look and said it only needed the shifters and tires. Everything else was in excellent condition except for some paint chips missing.

I brought her home today and she rides like a dream. She's fast and incredibly agile for her age. She goes over gravel with ease and even with 50 dollars worth of shifters she changes gears so quietly you can hardly hear them.

The only downsides are that I'm used to 29 inch wheels and 26 wheels seem "slow". And I don't think the bike was meant for a 215 pound rider even with the seat raised..LOL.

Wow, what a brave thing you did! Well, maybe I shouldn't say "brave". I don't know you well and for all I know you're an experienced bike expert! So have you ridden MTB before? Do tell...

Congratulations! Sounds like you got a steal.
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls & looks like work" - Thomas Edison

Ahhh I remember those bikes well! That what one of Treks first attempts at full suspension bikes. A couple of the guys I worked (in the shop) had them and truly seemed to like them. I think the rest of us were waiting for this new "full suspension" idea to really become more than a fad, and then we would buy one HA!

At any rate, have fun with your new bike

http://chasecyclery.blogspot.com

I'm not an expert by any means in mountain bikes or any bikes. My first MTB was bought a couple of months ago, a WSD Mamba 29er. I have a hard time just going over a homemade ramp..LOL.

I was in a used bike shop on Friday and saw the bike hanging on the wall. I hadn't seen anything like it before but it had the full suspension like my DH's Trek MTB does. DH's Trek has this "floaty" feeling that makes me seasick and this had a different design. It was my size and didn't "float".

The guy sold me the bike for 200 dollars and I had my LBS go over it. I added a different saddle and put on different grips.