Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Portland Logistics

To disable ads, please log-in.

My daughter and I are thinking about attending a convention in Portland the middle of October. Because we're on a VERY limited budget I'm thinking about hauling the tent trailer and camping on the outskirts of town and riding our bikes to the Convention Center. But I have questions . . .
    Does the convention center have decent and secure bike parking?
    Would we have better trails/roads to ride into town from the north or east?
    Would a commute of ten miles, one way, get us far enough out of town to find a decent campground or RV park?

The last time I was in Portland I swore the next time I came to town I was bringing my bike. It would be such a thrill to be one of many bike commuters instead of my usual one of one!

Thanks in advanced, bikerHen

I can't comment on the camping parts, but assuming you're talking about the Oregon Convention Center, you shouldn't have any problems finding a place to park your bike. There are lots of bike racks near most of the entrances to the building.

The last time I went to Portland for a conference, I took a bike with me on the train. Sadly, there was so much rain that I didn't do much riding other than between the convention center and my hotel downtown. But even that little bit was fun.
    2009 BMC Road Racer SL 01 / Specialized Ruby 155
    2007 LeMond Reno / Luna Chix Team Saddle
    1980-something Lotus Odyssey / Brooks Finesse
    1992 Bridgestone RB-2 / Brooks B-17 Imperial
    Nada Bike singlespeed / Brooks Team Pro in white

I have not stayed at any of these, but here is a starting point (I did a search for campgrounds near 97209, which is one of the zips in downtown Portland).

http://www.columbiariverrv.com/

http://roamersrestrvpark.com/ This could be a little tricky for getting back into Portland from Tualatin.

http://www.jantzenbeachrv.com/

Gee, they are not exactly cheap, though.

Again, do a search based on the 97209 zip code and check them out. Once you find something interesting let us know and we can help with routes to your convention.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    '89 Bridgestone Radac Dura-Ace | Specialized Ruby, 143
    '92 Bridgestone MB-1 | Specialized Ruby, 143
    '92 Bridgestone MB-1.2 (balloon tire bike) | Specialized Ruby, 143
    '93 Bridgestone MB-5 (my SUB*) | Specialized Lithia, 143

My blog: Portlandia Pedaler (at Blogger)

The Convention Center has bike parking in the parking garage onsite, as well as racks on the sidewalk outside all the main entrances. If you use a good lock (ie. a U-lock), you'll be fine.

From what I undersand, there's no tent camping allowed inside city limits, so that may rule out camping at the RV campsites. I think Oxbow is the closest tent camping site to Portland, 20 miles east of inner Southeast Portland, though you can take the bus to within six miles of it.

Have you looked at hostels? The Hawthorne Hostel would be an easy bike trip to/from the Convention Center, as would the Northwest Portland Hostel. And since it's likely to be rainy in October, probably drier too

oh wait! by tent trailer, do you mean a pop-up dealie? if that's the case, then i think the RV sites are fine. The Janzen Beach one would probably be the straightest shot to the Convention Center - you'd essentially take Union to MLK to Vancouver which would dump you at the Rose Center which is right next to the Convention Center. http://www.portlandonline.com/transp...39402&a=322271

But there are good routes to town from the east as well. http://www.portlandonline.com/transp...ex.cfm?c=39402 has links to all the area bike maps if you want to plan routes.
    Last edited by jdubble; 08-12-2011 at 08:55 PM.

I don't have any experience camping in Portland. However, I do remember reading this by Willie Weir.
    http://www.adventurecycling.org/reso...InPortland.pdf
    1972 Schwinn Paramount
    2006 Serotta Coeur d'Acier
    2007 Holland Exogrid
    2008 Salsa Casseroll
    2010 Scott Contessa 20

Wow! Great information everyone. Just what I needed. Looks like the tent trailer, yes it's a pop-up, is a possible option. I'm still a little leary about parking the bikes at the Convention Center. I have a big (heavy) cable and even bigger lock, but I know cables are easily cut. Don't know if I want to invest in a U-Lock, I really don't like them all that much. Well first we have to see if my daughter can get that weekend off. Then we can start planning. Although we're all ready dreaming about Powell's and Voodoo donuts! And Fabric Depo! How could I forget about fabric Depo!!
    Last edited by bikerHen; 08-13-2011 at 03:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bikerHen View Post
    Wow! Great information everyone. Just what I needed. Looks like the tent trailer, yes it's a pop-up, is a possible option. I'm still a little leary about parking the bikes at the Convention Center. I have a big (heavy) cable and even bigger lock, but I know cables are easily cut. Don't know if I want to invest in a U-Lock, I really don't like them all that much. Well first we have to see if my daughter can get that weekend off. Then we can start planning. Although we're all ready dreaming about Powell's and Voodoo donuts! And Fabric Depo! How could I forget about fabric Depo!!
    I think that in an urban setting your cable has a zero chance of surviving more than a couple of days. I really would not recommend it. Especially not in front of a busy place like the Convention Center... You have a nice bike, I wouldn't risk it. Get a fat u-lock or find some indoor parking... (and even then, I'd get at least a moderate u-lock.)

I'm not a Portlander but Vancouver is not that different...

ETA: What you could consider though is a really heavy chain.

Tangentially, you might want to read this article about how a professional bike thief uses tools to defeat our protection:

http://thedependent.ca/news-and-opin...eft-vancouver/

bike theft in portland is down, but i still wouldn't trust a cable lock in this town.

http://bikeportland.org/2011/08/09/b...-at-work-57459

what don't you like about u-locks, out of curiosity?

Quote Originally Posted by jdubble View Post
    what don't you like about u-locks, out of curiosity?
    I know a lot of riders use them, but I think they are too limited with how you can lock your bike. With my six foot cable I can go through both wheels, the frame and then wrap it around a sign post or tree or whatever is available. Or you can lock two bikes together. Can't do that with a U-lock.

Quote Originally Posted by bikerHen View Post
    I know a lot of riders use them, but I think they are too limited with how you can lock your bike. With my six foot cable I can go through both wheels, the frame and then wrap it around a sign post or tree or whatever is available. Or you can lock two bikes together. Can't do that with a U-lock.
    good point about the versatility of the cable! that makes sense. and if you don't live somewhere where bike theft is rampant, buying a u-lock just for one trip doesn't sound appealing. there should be a lock rental program for visitors here i wonder if Waterfront Bikes would rent just a lock for a few days? Might be worth an inquiry?

around here, there's *usually* a bike rack or sign available to lock to, and i'm mostly concerned about my frame (though obviously loss of wheels would suck). if i'm leaving it somewhere for a long time, or somewhere questionable, or know that i have to lock up my son's bike too, i do have a kryptonite cable that i can bring with me to run through the wheels and his bike.

With a u-lock I lock my front wheel and frame to the rack. You don't want to leave much space there (to make it more difficult to break the lock). The back wheel doesn't have a quick release on my commuter bike. If I was to leave my fancier bike locked up, I'd probably get a locking rear-wheel skewer instead of the hex-screw skewer...

I agree that you may be able to borrow/rent a lock from Rivercity Bikes... it's worth giving them a call anyway.

I use a U-lock for my bike and add a cable if I am towing the Burley. I loop one end of the cable around the Burley frame, snake it through my back wheel and frame, then lock up the free end by passing the U-lock through the cable end loop while locking front wheel and frame to rack. I park in downtown PDX and haven't had a problem.

Something like this might work for your bike/trailer. And yes, I bet Waterfront Bikes could rent you a U-lock for a few days so you wouldn't have to buy your own.

Gillian
    Surly LHT
    Surly Big Dummy!

In a few places near Sacramento there are bike lockers. Your bike fits inside and you provide the U-lock to keep the bike safe. I wish more places provided this type of security. Out of site is the best idea.
    “Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes.”.
    ~Oscar Wilde

Type One Diabetes
    currently using Medtronic MiniMed
    Revel 723 with CGMS