Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Water Pik

Water Pik

To disable ads, please log-in.

Ok, so I turn 50 and I decide to treat myself and get braces! Needless to say, flossing is pure hell.

The Water Pik website "claims" that the Water Pik is twice as effective as flossing.

Anyone have experience with one of these?

Thanks!
    Lisa

Bacchetta Ti Aero
    ICE B1
    Bacchetta Cafe Mountain Bent

I've been in braces for just short of four years (I'm about to get them off). I used a Water Pic sporadically. It is good at removing food, but it be messy and inconvenient to use. I'm not entirely convinced it's a perfect substitute for floss. I would talk to your dentist about it.

I mostly used a combination of Superfloss (way better than floss threaders) and picks and dental brushes of various sizes. I used the Water Pic here and there, mostly when space between my teeth was too tight for floss. I also saw my dentist for a cleaning every four months. The only time I ran into problems is when I had a lot of extra stuff (power chains and the like) that ran right along my gumline. That didn't last long though. An electric toothbrush is also a must.

Congrats on getting braces. I understand all too well what a big step it is. It's been worth it though. Feel free to PM me if you have other questions.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Congrats on the braces! Got mine later in life as well - totally worth it. I used a Water Pick to do the major flushing out of food, and supplemented with Superfloss and threaders. I also got more cleanings like indysteel - they used a baking soda 'sand blaster' to clean my teeth.

I also found out that I was allergic to the latex in the rubber bands, so my orthodontist switched me to latex-free. Highly recommend using lots of wax to keep the sides of your mouth from getting scarred.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    2009 Felt ZW100 (Gone but not forgotten)
    2010 C'Dale Synapse 5 Carbon Fem | Koobi Si Classic | "Cinders"

water pic is very old school. Sonic care type brushes are very effective. I had two kids in braces, that is what we used on recommendation from the orthodontist.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Quote Originally Posted by Irulan View Post
    water pic is very old school. Sonic care type brushes are very effective. I had two kids in braces, that is what we used on recommendation from the orthodontist.
    I know first hand that e-toothbrushes do not get everything out of your braces or from your teeth, nor are they a substitute for floss. I honestly think no one tool gets everything. You gotta attack it with multiple things.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

I use my waterpik with a little mouthwash. It says to not do that, but so far (3 years) it's still working. I use it after flossing & brushing to keep my gums healthy. I'm over 50 and have a little recession on my gum line. My dentist is always really happy with my checkups, so I guess it's working.
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

Just to add to my previous post: At my ortho's office, we all sit in a long line of chairs that are open to one another (who needs HIPAA?), and I've heard the ortho and tech lecture kids repeatedly about their hygiene. I got the sense that they're overjoyed if they can just get kids to consistently use an e-toothbrush (or any toothbrush). Flossing is just icing on the cake. So, while I think an e-toothbrush is very helpful, I think it's just the first line of attack. I'm always amazed at just how much food gets stuck in my braces, and it's even worse when I have extra stuff in there, like powerchains. It takes real work to get food out. I also think the average adult mouth takes more care than than the average child/teen, because we're often already dealing with a bit of gum recession. It's important, too, to talk to your dentist about decalcification during the time you're wearing braces. I used a special toothpaste for this purpose and got more frequent flouride treatments.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Indy, My ortho office had the same set-up - maybe it's an ortho thing? Anyway, yes, I overheard lots of encouragement/lectures about hygiene to the kids, along with those scary photos of what happens when you don't keep up the hygiene with braces. I definitely think my ortho and his staff liked having adult brace wearers, because compliance on hygiene is much higher.

Agree with others who said a variety of tools. Sometimes you need some ingenuity to figure out how to get all the gunk out!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    2009 Felt ZW100 (Gone but not forgotten)
    2010 C'Dale Synapse 5 Carbon Fem | Koobi Si Classic | "Cinders"

Way OT

All but one of us who posted here have dogs & cats as their avatar.

Maybe I can use my waterpik on my (%^#$ cat who keeps getting me up at 2AM? (OK - now I'm back on topic...)
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

Since I have a dog in my avatar, I thought I'd post here to say that at 55 years of age after having straight teeth all my life, I noticed my teeth were moving! It's a part of bone loss, I'm told. One of my front teeth was slipping backwards and the two teeth next to the front teeth were starting to turn out.

I've been wearing a retainer for months to put them back into place and it's working but I suppose I'll have to at least sleep in it the rest of my life to keep them in place.

Years ago I had a waterpick. Now I just use a Sonicare toothbrush and floss. I also own my own tooth scaler.
    "Chisel praise in stone; write criticism in sand."