Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

I think a next door neighbor installed gas appliances without a permit (WW you D)

To disable ads, please log-in.

Since this is the off topic forum, I thought I'd give this a shot.

I live in a townhouse. I found out from one next door neighbor (who is a handyman) that my OTHER next door neighbor (other side) has installed gas appliances in his home when he used to have electric and he's pretty sure he did not get a permit to do so. The heat is likely gas so if he did do so there was already gas coming into the home, he would have merely re-routed it to the new appliances.

The neighbor states this because this person approached him to do the work and he said "no way, I'm not licensed and you have to have a permit". The neighbor asking for the favor got pissy about it and said he'd have his FIL do it (run a new gas line up through to the kitchen, etc). The FIL was always around on weekends puttering and doing remodeling stuff - hauling things away with a van, bringing in new. I figured it was hardwood floors and the like, I wasn't paying close attention. But he was there a lot.

Anyway. I asked the new tenant of this neighbor if he had gas appliances and he said yes and in fact the owner had installed them "all new". So, I know for a fact that there ARE gas appliances and that the place used to be electric because the handyman neighbor was doing work on this townhouse until the request to install gas appliances. What I am not yet sure about is the permit. Given that this guy had an attitude and was always trying to do things "his way" I would not be slightly surprised if he did it without going through proper channels.

Why do I care? Because I share a wall with him. This install would have been at least a year ago (even though I just found out) but now that I know I am a little worried that if he didn't know what he was doing - BOOM, someday.

I am afraid to confront him, he has a bad temper. Apparently he got right into the face of the handyman neighbor over something trivial. He's an arrogant tool, in general.

Thoughts?

are you an owner or a renter?
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

I own. He owns, but rents out. Meaning if he did something stupid, he's involving a renter if something bad happens.

ps. I was thinking of researching with the county about whether he got a permit (which I bet he did not) and then go from there. I don't know if asking him outright would do a damn thing. I'd probably have to get an attorney involved because he isn't going to like this.

Does your county post tax parcel info online? Mine does....including permits. It might be worth a check. Also, ratting him out to the authority having jurisdiction is generally anonymous and doesn't require attorneys.

Thanks, I will check online.

If I rat him out, I just want to make sure it gets fixed. Ratting with no results other than pissed off neighbor won't help if there's a BOOM.