Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

First group ride

To disable ads, please log-in.

Going on my first group ride tonight....I'm super nervous. It's supposedly a social training ride "designed for cyclists of all abilities", but my husband called tonight and they said they average 15 mph, whereas I'm usually more in the 13 mph range. At least my husband will stick with me, but getting dropped will still be embarrassing/frustrating. Worse yet, I'm afraid I'll cause a crash or do something just plain stupid. About 50 riders are expected to show up, so I assume there will be some other women, but I'm still terrified.

Any tips? Plain old reassurance would also be welcomed!

You'll be great...in a group you'll be able to draft and 15mph will feel like 13. Plus there's that adrenaline bit, too!
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Our club put together this sheet for group riding skills. Hope it helps! http://www.studio208.com/TOPRS.pdf
    For 3 days, I get to part of a thousand other journeys.

First, don't be embarrassed. I went with my local club and the pace was faster than advertised, but the sweeper guy and I had a good time. Toward the end the ride leader came back to be all encouraging and supportive and whatnot. Twenty years ago I would have been mortified to be the last rider, but now I just figured, well, I'm doing my best, if you don't want riders like me on your ride then don't advertise a 12-15 mph pace (I averaged 14.5 mph on the ride). Everyone was super friendly, even the people that I saw only briefly at the first stop.

So I guess my advice is to have fun and don't let it bother you if you are slower.

Thanks everyone. Here's one specific question -- my husband says we should stay near the middle of the pack, or we'll get dropped at the first hill. But I think we should stick near the back if I don't know what I'm doing, and most advice seems to agree with that. Am I right?

If you stay near the middle but people behind you are faster, they will just pass you and you'll get dropped anyway.

There is no shame in being dropped. It happens to everyone. "Dropped" is my middle name. But there are some people that I am able to pass, too.

What group are you riding with? Is it a club or an LBS ride?

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Don't worry you will be fine. Especially if you are riding with your husband and he is experienced. Is this ride a group or regroup?if its a group they will have a sweeper from the club riding last to make sure no one gets left behind. If its a regroup they will have cue sheets and stops.This sounds like you may have people of all levels so don't worry about a hammerfest. Let people know this is your first group ride. Most people are nice and helpful on the rides I go on. Don't be embarrassed, sometimes you are last.. Just have fun and meet new people.
    I like bikes, sometimes more than my husband

It's an LBS ride...The Thursday ride (obviously) here:

http://contesbikestores.com/articles...ides-pg758.htm

We've actually never even been to this LBS before, there's one closer to us but it doesn't have a ride.

Hmmmm, that looks like a ride that I could try to do as well. Though I'm normally slower than a C rider, but I find that if I have to keep up with a faster pace, I usually can. I have been so bad about riding this summer and I really am not sure why. I keep thinking something like this will help get me back into it. I'm always glad once I'm riding, it's just the getting up and out part that I'm having trouble with.

I've got a gift certificate to this store, though have never been there yet myself either.
    You too can help me fight cancer, and get a lovely cookbook for your very own! My team's cookbook is for sale Click here to order. Proceeds go to our team's fundraising for the Philly Livestrong Challenge!

Possegal -- come out tonight and keep me company in the back!

I have thoughts on this topic and I can say that I don't do a lot of group rides because of your (initial poster's) fears.

Most LBS or organized group rides called "Beginner Pace" or "Social Pace" or "Leisure Ride" are truly NOT for beginners. Most rides are geared 14-16 mph average, which is not the pace most beginners ride (at least the ones I know). Often, but not always, the distance is 20-30 miles! Now come on! That is NOT a distance that beginners can ride.

Also, if you are new and fearful, I do NOT recommend that you try to "draft" off another cyclist. That skill needs to be developed and not something I would recommend for a first time rider. If you want to learn that you can do it alone with your husband and practice before doing it in a group.
    I think that people who cycle a lot or who have been doing it for years forget what it's like to really be a beginner. Experienced riders often take for granted seemingly little tiny things that might be a HUGE deal to a newby.

So....go on the group ride with the goal to just show up and finish. Anything you achieve, this first ride, beyond that is gravy. Have fun and please let us know how it goes.
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls & looks like work" - Thomas Edison

When I'm new to a group, I feel a bit safer near the rear. This is especially true if the group rides as a paceline, i.e., each person follows the person in front of them pretty closely. If you're not used to riding closely behind someone's wheel or having someone closely behind yours, then hang near the back and watch what people do. In paceline riding, you need to make full and consistent use of hand and voice signals and need to keep a steady pace and spin. If the group is just riding together loosely, you still need to watch yourself and others, but not quite as closely. So, it really depends on how the group rides together.

In any event, put safety ahead of any concerns about getting dropped or embarrassed. Just do your best to keep up, but bear in mind that most of us have gotten dropped at some point or another. So long as you know where you're going, don't worry about it. And don't feel shy about admitting to, in the very least, the ride leader that you're new to this. It gives everyone an opportunity to welcome you and give you some pointers. You'll likely be pleasantly surprised at how gracious most people will be.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Quote Originally Posted by fallstoclimb View Post
    Possegal -- come out tonight and keep me company in the back!
    I'm seriously thinking about it. I'm off today and sitting here thinking - I should go for a ride now. But, maybe I should wait and head into Bethesda!

If I do, I'll be the one wearing my TE Canadian Molson shirt that I got recently when I went a wee bit crazy with an order to TE. Seriously, how many pairs of socks does one girl need?
    You too can help me fight cancer, and get a lovely cookbook for your very own! My team's cookbook is for sale Click here to order. Proceeds go to our team's fundraising for the Philly Livestrong Challenge!

Hey! All those rides go right by my old house in Bethesda! Next time I'm in DC, I'll have to try one of those routes; they should be pretty good. Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Possegal View Post
    I'm seriously thinking about it. I'm off today and sitting here thinking - I should go for a ride now. But, maybe I should wait and head into Bethesda!

If I do, I'll be the one wearing my TE Canadian Molson shirt that I got recently when I went a wee bit crazy with an order to TE. Seriously, how many pairs of socks does one girl need?

Great! I'll be in a white sleeveless jersey with red trim, on a white and purple specialized dolce. My husband's bike stands out more -- its nickname is Captain America (you'll know it if you see it....).

Thanks for the responses, everyone. I will try not to be too frustrated when I get dropped!