Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Things to say to inconsiderate/impatient/law-breaking drivers?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I had not one, but TWO cars cross a double-yellow mere YARDS from a stop (cross-traffic has no stop and the road essentially Ts, as there is nothing beyond the road other than a sand driveway to a chemical plant) when I took the lane to go left, instead of waiting their turn.

The first car (a massive Suburban with a retirement-aged couple) had their windows open, so I asked why they would do that and that I had just as much right to the road as he did. Of course, the guy didn't really have an answer, but tried to imply that "might makes right."

Of course the car behind them pulled the same stunt and then rolled right through the stop behind jerk #1, then passed jerk #1. They were both going left, as well.

Hubby doesn't run into issues like this very often...he is also 6'2" and 225#s. He's bigger than most people and really is suspicious that drivers respect him more out of size, than anything.

He's suggested that when people do stuff like this to ask if they would drive that way if it were their wife/daughter/granddaughter on the bike...to put them on the spot.

Has anyone ever taken this approach...and, if so, did it have any positive result?
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Eh, save your breath. Last week I asked a grandmother why she took up the last two spaces and she replied that she couldn't get it (a Suburban) between the lines. I refrained from asking her if she was also teaching her 2 grandchildren standing next to her that the law didn't apply to her family.

If she can't park the car legally, I'm sure she can't drive it down the road legally either.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

I would bet money that you will never get any positive feedback from such interaction. People are more likely to become righteous about their behavior and leave you steaming.

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Wave to them and smile like you know them. It might make them think that you know them. At the very least, smiling will make you feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by pll View Post
    ...and leave you steaming.
    Yeah, I'm still steaming about it. The crazy thing is that the VAST majority of drivers around here are AWESOME. But the route I took is the primary route to a beach and a golf course...so lots of people who believe that their recreational time/pursuits are more important than everyone else's. When I go straight North into farm country I almost never encounter self-centered drivers. Farmers seem to *get* that it's considerate and law-abiding to be fair to slower-moving traffic in front of them...perhaps because they are often said traffic while on their farm equipment.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    Wave to them and smile like you know them. It might make them think that you know them. At the very least, smiling will make you feel better.
    Ha, I like this!
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

I would not engage them with that type of question, because if they're rude they could easily reply, "My wife/sister/etc. Wouldn't be silly enough to be out here in traffic on a bike" or some other idiotic statement, and you can see where that would lead.

I had some big SUV driving person in a big hurry honk at me yesterday when I was in the cross walk, simply because they thought I was going too slowly.
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls & looks like work" - Thomas Edison

Quote Originally Posted by SadieKate View Post
    Eh, save your breath. Last week I asked a grandmother why she took up the last two spaces and she replied that she couldn't get it (a Suburban) between the lines. I refrained from asking her if she was also teaching her 2 grandchildren standing next to her that the law didn't apply to her family.

If she can't park the car legally, I'm sure she can't drive it down the road legally either.
    This is off topic but appropriate...

1870 Dollars in Parking Fines - People Behaving Badly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okQEh...layer_embedded
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Quote Originally Posted by Irulan View Post

Oh, my dad used to do that with my grandma's placard, even when she wasn't with him...always made me mad! Buncha lazy, out-of-shape, opportunistic losers. Do people in other countries do stuff like this, or is this solely a "dirty American" trait? It was embarrassing to me when my dad would do that, since everyone KNEW he was perfectly able-bodied and it's not even like parking spaces are a premium anywhere he goes.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

I drive my FIL (90 years old, legally blind) to the gym where he works with a trainer/exercise therapist 2x a week. Although there are 6 handicapped parking spaces in front of the gym there are rarely any parking openings. Usually 1 or at most 2 cars will have disabled placards. The rest are big SUVs or ford 150 s which I know are driven by non physically- mentally I can't say- handicapped and obviously (just taking a guess here since they are parked at the gym) drivers. I have called the parking police and was informed that since it is in a strip mall\/private property they can't leagally do anything except patrol it and ticket those they catch entering or leaving a vehicle but they don't have the resources to leave someone there watching. Gym management is sympathetic but claim that they can't do anything invovling policing the clients unless the parking or state police get involved.

Fortunately they have a pull thru driveway so I usually end up letting him out at the door, getting him inside and then finding parking. Reversing the process when we leave.

It is very frustrating. I accidentally parked in a handicapped parking space when we first got to the netherlands because I couldn''t read the sign. The fine was the equivalent of about $500 . I never made that mistake again.

marni
    marni
    Katy, Texas
    Trek Madone 6.5- "Red"
    Trek Pilot 5.2- " Bebe"

"easily outrun by a chihuahua."

hahaha - love it cuz I see so many people abusing the blue spaces.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    '89 Bridgestone Radac Dura-Ace | Specialized Ruby, 143
    '92 Bridgestone MB-1 | Specialized Ruby, 143
    '92 Bridgestone MB-1.2 (balloon tire bike) | Specialized Ruby, 143
    '93 Bridgestone MB-5 (my SUB*) | Specialized Lithia, 143

My blog: Portlandia Pedaler (at Blogger)

Oh, excellent!
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Quote Originally Posted by zoom-zoom View Post
    Do people in other countries do stuff like this, or is this solely a "dirty American" trait?
    Yes, they do. $1870 in fines would certainly make a case.

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    I learned to do this when driving in Boston. Aggressive drivers often get really pissed when you wave or blow a kiss at them after they've done something stupid or jerk-ish. Plus, it always made me laugh and that just makes me feel better!
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom