Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Helmet question

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay

To disable ads, please log-in.

I would think it would be very hot. Is it a bicycle helmet? Bicycle helmets meet certain safety standards and non-bike helmets may not be as effective in bicycle crashes.

@ Tulip, yes it is a sanctioned helmet, it comes in two varieties one that is a "hard hat" that is not certified and this one. At least that is the way I understand it. Also I was sorry to hear about your accident. My, you have courage to continue to ride! Good job!
    Bike Writer

http://pedaltohealth.blogspot.com/

Schwinn Gateway unknown year
    Specalized Expedition Sport Low-Entry 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Bike Writer View Post
    Hoping this doesn't pose too much thread hijack but has anyone worn one of these helmets? I am wondering if you have is it hot to wear because it has less vents? Is it heavy? And lastly is it true to size? Any feedback appreciated.

I am one of those persons who does not like the style of the racing helmet, my own personal opinion is that they make me look like a raptor or some kind of reptile. However there are many who probably think that the helmet pictured below is very dorky but I think it's cute and am looking to get one.
    I have a friend who rides an upright type city bike with a helmet like that (her's is red). She put a super cute pink flower on it and it's just darling looking!

Personally, I think helmets are way better looking than smashed heads, hospital beds or drool...right?
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by GLC1968 View Post
    I have a friend who rides an upright type city bike with a helmet like that (her's is red). She put a super cute pink flower on it and it's just darling looking!

Personally, I think helmets are way better looking than smashed heads, hospital beds or drool...right?

Agreed, beauty is in the eye of the beholder...your friend's helmet sounds like it would be cute.
    Bike Writer

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    @ Tulip, yes it is a sanctioned helmet, it comes in two varieties one that is a "hard hat" that is not certified and this one. At least that is the way I understand it. Also I was sorry to hear about your accident. My, you have courage to continue to ride! Good job!
    Then I would say go for it if you like it. I failed to mention that I was wearing a helmet when I crashed. It broke in three places. Had I not had the helmet on my head, my life would be much different now (assuming I had lived).

I've been riding bikes since 1982 (that's when I got my first road bike, but I'd certainly been riding kid bikes and BMX long before then), and I wasn't going to stop unless I had to. I took a month off of cycling--heck I had trouble walking--and then popped back on my bike because it sure is alot more fun than waiting for a bus or being crammed in a Metro, and I had to get to work somehow. Driving/parking is such a pain in DC, so that wasn't an option. There was a spiral staircase in my then-office. I never was able to master it again after my crash, although I had no trouble before.

Hoping this doesn't pose too much thread hijack but has anyone worn one of these helmets? I am wondering if you have is it hot to wear because it has less vents? Is it heavy? And lastly is it true to size? Any feedback appreciated.

I am one of those persons who does not like the style of the racing helmet, my own personal opinion is that they make me look like a raptor or some kind of reptile. However there are many who probably think that the helmet pictured below is very dorky but I think it's cute and am looking to get one.
    I have a Bern helmet exactly like that without the visor. In really hot weather, it is not as cool as a helmet with more vents.

However, most of the time it is very comfortable, and I love it. Size seems okay -- I need an XL, and it's fine for me. I love the way it looks.

@Bike Writer, I love Bern helmets and don't have one yet, although they fit my head great. I like the shiny white one or the Matte plum ones. Very nice.
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls & looks like work" - Thomas Edison

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    My head shape does not allow me to wear a Nutcase round helmet. Too bad -- I like 1-2 of their styles.

But for both Nutcase and Bern it's puzzling that they haven't made a model line that has more air vents. Is it aesthetic reasons that prevent them from not putting in more vents??
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

I'm seeing more and more of these Yakkay helmets, designed to look like normal hats. They don't provide much in the way of ventilation, of course.

http://www.adelineadeline.com/helmets/yakkay.html

Quote Originally Posted by shootingstar View Post
    My head shape does not allow me to wear a Nutcase round helmet. Too bad -- I like 1-2 of their styles.

But for both Nutcase and Bern it's puzzling that they haven't made a model line that has more air vents. Is it aesthetic reasons that prevent them from not putting in more vents??
    Huh, I wonder if those would fit me better, I know in the base model Bell's at WalMart I had to go Youth sized. Maybe I have a more roundy head? Giro fit me a little better and I could at least get a more mature Women's print.

I've tried on Bern snowboard helmets (I love the billed ones!) and the small fits me great, it was just more than I wanted to spend at the close of the season when it should have been on clearance. Not sure on the history of Bern's but perhaps they originally focused on snow helmets?

My first helmet was a skate style in the late 80s and I remember it always being hot, maybe because skaters don't go quite as fast?
    2011 Trek Lexa SLX "Silver Surfer"
    1998 Specialized HardRock AX FS

Quote Originally Posted by redrhodie View Post
    I never notice what someone's helmet looks like. I'm too busy looking at their butt.
    Or their bike! and shapely calf muscles.
    marni
    Katy, Texas
    Trek Madone 6.5- "Red"
    Trek Pilot 5.2- " Bebe"

"easily outrun by a chihuahua."

Quote Originally Posted by trickycoolj View Post
    I've tried on Bern snowboard helmets (I love the billed ones!) and the small fits me great, it was just more than I wanted to spend at the close of the season when it should have been on clearance.
    I got a Bern at a great price (which I don't remember) from Sierra Trading Post. No idea if they have Bern very often, but worth checking if you want one.

Oh, Muirenn. You are going to wish you hadn't told me that. I have so many questions about raptor biology. So, when you start your degree, don't tell me.

@ Muirenn, yes I meant that as a bad thing for me! Not necessarily others. Raptors in the movie Jurassic Park scared the bejebbers out of me and gave me the willies.

It's a good thing somebody likes them or no one would learn about 'em.
    Bike Writer

I have a couple of Nutcase helmets, and I really like the Sawako ones too though I don't own one at the moment. Here's the link, you need to scroll down to see the range.
    Dawes Cambridge Mixte, Specialized Hardrock, Specialized Vita.

mixedbabygreens My blog, which really isn't all about the bike.