Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Helmet question

To disable ads, please log-in.

@ Muirenn, yes I meant that as a bad thing for me! Not necessarily others. Raptors in the movie Jurassic Park scared the bejebbers out of me and gave me the willies.

It's a good thing somebody likes them or no one would learn about 'em.
    Bike Writer

http://pedaltohealth.blogspot.com/

Schwinn Gateway unknown year
    Specalized Expedition Sport Low-Entry 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Bike Writer View Post
    @ Muirenn, yes I meant that as a bad thing for me! Not necessarily others. Raptors in the movie Jurassic Park scared the bejebbers out of me and gave me the willies.

It's a good thing somebody likes them or no one would learn about 'em.
    Just teasing Bike Writer !!

And I like the helmet you posted. Definitely too hot where I live. But, that style is supposed to provide more protection than regular helmets. That is why a lot of children's helmets are more 'bucket' shaped.

Read that on some helmet safety site. Can't remember where.
    Last edited by Muirenn; 08-12-2011 at 09:28 AM.
    So long as the wheels are still turning, life is good.

Battswebb

Pinarello Quattro~CAADX~ Zurich Lemond
    Specialized Romin Saddles

Surly Krampus!

@ Kate and anyone else looking for a pretty helmet.

I just found this on TE. Lovely colors. Subtle pattern. Not too roadie-esque. Good ventilation and a nice sun visor.

If anyone has this, I'd like to hear how it fits. I have an 'oblong' head, and my Giro Atmos is too round.
    Last edited by Muirenn; 08-12-2011 at 09:30 AM.

Battswebb

Surly Krampus!

Quote Originally Posted by PamNY View Post
    Oh, Muirenn. You are going to wish you hadn't told me that. I have so many questions about raptor biology. So, when you start your degree, don't tell me.
    I work for an environmental office, and we have a bird biologist. (In fact, he is also a cyclist).

Anything you want me to pass on?

Battswebb

Surly Krampus!

I have a couple of Nutcase helmets, and I really like the Sawako ones too though I don't own one at the moment. Here's the link, you need to scroll down to see the range.
    Dawes Cambridge Mixte, Specialized Hardrock, Specialized Vita.

mixedbabygreens My blog, which really isn't all about the bike.

WE have this facility called Braintree Rehab. It's for people who have suffered some kind of long term injury. The head trauma unit is horrible. I don't want to be there. I'm going to wear a helmet and if you see me, just know I'm your dorky sister who rather live to tell about it in my right mind.

I like the looks of nutcase helmets, but they just look so HOT, not much ventilation. I don't understand that, but hey, if this helps someone to get a helmet on their head then that is a good thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post

And I like the helmet you posted. Definitely too hot where I live. But, that style is supposed to provide more protection than regular helmets. That is why a lot of children's helmets are more 'bucket' shaped.

I know and I was just funning back with ya!
    Bike Writer

http://pedaltohealth.blogspot.com/

Schwinn Gateway unknown year
    Specalized Expedition Sport Low-Entry 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post

Most likely, it is the Helmet Safety Institute. They advocate for rounder, smoother helmets with more rear coverage. I believe that rounder, smoother (no point sections sticking out) do not jerk your head around on impact. Additional rear coverage makes the helmet more stable on the head.

Personally, I like the rounder shapes of commuter helmets, but why can't they have more ventilation? As it is (with a Bell Sweep), I can go into complete meltdown during a ride. I saw that a Kask "Sky model" is listed among their recommendations for 2011, but if it is the Kask Vertigo (with team Sky colors), the price sticker is shocking. It does look nice, though! [Click here if you want to be shocked by a price; I like the lime one!)
    Last edited by pll; 08-15-2011 at 04:25 AM. Reason: Edited my English!

It isn't as well ventilated as a road helmet but I'm about to replace my current commuting lid with one of these - the Bell Muni / Arella (women's version). As cycling is my main mode of transport, I tend to commute in my everyday clothes, especially when on my Brompton, and prefer a more low-key look. This won't break the bank either. Here's the link if you're interested http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zz9zCNzL9ts

Very nice! I love the lighted adjustment device in the back of it, as well as the special mirror.

I tried on both the men's and women's Bell Muni and neither one fit my head right. They just are universally sized and very little in the way of adjustments. I really wanted to love them and buy one so I could "accessorize", but they just didn't work. Good luck with yours.
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls & looks like work" - Thomas Edison

I tried that helmet....and gave it to Winding Road. Their helmets just don't fit my head, though this MIGHT have worked if it had been more adjustable. I've found that Uvex and Fox helmets appear to fit me the best. Unsure how they differ from Bell and Giro, don't know if it is related to shape or adjustability.

I am another crash victim that wouldn't be writing this if I hadn't had my helmet on. I left the road doing a 35 mph descent, hit a rock and went over the handlebars. My helmet cracked in 3 places and I suffered a mile concussion but the ER doc said my head would've split like a watermelon if I hadn't had it on.

Our lbs makes a very good helmet demo when doing their beginner rider program. They drop a cantelope on the sidewalk then take another cantelope, put it inside a helmet and drop it and it doesn't break. It gets people's attention.

Someone told me once that they call people that don't wear helmets organ donors.

I'm in the market for a new helmet myself and have been looking at new ones. It is hard to decide.

Luna Eclipse/Selle Italia Lady
    Surly Pacer/Terry Butterfly
    Quintana Roo Cd01/Koobi Stratus
    1981 Schwinn Le Tour Tourist
    Jamis Coda Femme